Idiots+motorcycles=LOL

If properly regulated and enforced lane splitting is safe and benefits everyone involved.
You'll always have squids blasting through traffic at inappropriate speeds however, just like there will always be idiots changing lanes without looking. #dealwithit
But banning lane splitting altogether seems to me to be completely backwards and retarded. It serves no purpose and needlessly puts bikers in harms way.

If the traffic is (almost) stationary and the biker is very careful it works (if I see a bike approaching from the rear in a traffic jam I leave more space between me and the car on the right), but not if the traffic goes 40/50 mph/60/70 kph and the biker is going 20+ mph/30+ kph more than the rest of the traffic. You just don't expect a bike coming from behind between the other cars, at least I certainly wouldn't expect that.

I would be okay with them going down a wide median/shoulder ...but I can't say I'm comfortable with them splitting lanes at all. I don't see at all how its "safer" for them to do that. There is already enough stuff going on around you in traffic, adding motorcycles driving between the cars to the mix and I see a lot more potential for accidents. Perhaps where it has been a part of driving for a long time, but where I live its illegal and no one is used to looking out for them and I think it would be a pretty steep learning curve for both drivers and bikers.

I would be okay with them going down a wide median/shoulder ...but I can't say I'm comfortable with them splitting lanes at all. I don't see at all how its "safer" for them to do that. There is already enough stuff going on around you in traffic, adding motorcycles driving between the cars to the mix and I see a lot more potential for accidents. Perhaps where it has been a part of driving for a long time, but where I live its illegal and no one is used to looking out for them and I think it would be a pretty steep learning curve for both drivers and bikers.

This makes sense to me. That video(gif) made me cringe the whole time waiting for the inevitable.

Sorry, but blasting through moving traffic between lanes at high speed is just moronic. Going very slowly (like up to 10 kph, with almost instant stopping ability) through a standing or nearly-standing traffic jam, that's fine. It's reasonably low-risk and if something happens, only minor fender benders are the expected outcome. That I can live with.

I would be okay with them going down a wide median/shoulder
Well, we're not. The shoulder (both inside and outside) is where all the shit accumulates that we don't want to ride through, because it's almost certainly going to end with a puncture.

I don't see at all how its "safer" for them to do that.
If we get rear ended* we're dead. The only crumple zones are in our bones.

*This is a real possibility due to our smaller silhouet compared to a car and smaller tail lights.

Perhaps where it has been a part of driving for a long time, but where I live its illegal and no one is used to looking out for them and I think it would be a pretty steep learning curve for both drivers and bikers.

If Sweden could deal with switching from RHD to LHD in 1967, surely you could deal with the occasional biker passing by when in traffic.

Sorry, but blasting through moving traffic between lanes at high speed is just moronic. Going very slowly (like up to 10 kph, with almost instant stopping ability) through a standing or nearly-standing traffic jam, that's fine. It's reasonably low-risk and if something happens, only minor fender benders are the expected outcome. That I can live with.

I agree on this.

But I'd say standing traffic only.

---

Also:

:rofl:
Are you sure they are not Brazilian immigrants?

I was expecting the Beetle to pull out in front of him or something but nope, that was just the kid's own dumbass fault. Eyes on the road, dude.

Yep.
No one to blame but himself. You can see the car a long time before he crashes, it was pure recklessness.

While his riding indeed looks quite reckless, in fairness I have to say that the bike that overtook him on the right sort of hid the Beetle in the distance. I had to rewind the video to notice it standing still further up the road. Then again, if he'd kept his eyes on the road he would've seen it sooner rather than half a second before impact. :p

While his riding indeed looks quite reckless, in fairness I have to say that the bike that overtook him on the right sort of hid the Beetle in the distance. I had to rewind the video to notice it standing still further up the road. Then again, if he'd kept his eyes on the road he would've seen it sooner rather than half a second before impact. :p

I would say the other bike distracted him, but he's still to blame for this crash.

That bike passed him on his right, and he was looking left right before the crash...

Note: Motorcycle rider is not the only idiot in this video.

Picking fights with people using motorcycle gear is a bad idea. When will people learn?

[video=youtube;awP-blYxOXA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=110&v=awP-blYxOXA[/video]

i wonder where his car ended up...

Does anyone speak communist? I'm a bit confused here.