Idiots + Winter - The FAIL Collection Thread

Yes, if everyone was pulled up slopes by wires almost noone would have any difficulty! :D

Yes, if everyone was pulled up slopes by wires almost noone would have any difficulty! :D

It should be common knowledge by now, that the Audi commercial wasn't faked. The car was lightened inside (thus the blackened windows to hide the missing interior) but it made the climb on its own. The wire attached to the front of the car was just for safety reasons. It didn't do any pulling.

And since I once owned this...
2833879984_f35d03f236_o.jpg

... I can confirm, that those old quattros were indeed able to do such climbs. Good winter tires, all wheels into lock and I could pull another car up a steep hill. Reaching the top, the guy noticed that he forgot to losen the handbrake.

By the way, I had a sticker on the back, which says "I brake for GTI's" :p
2833879374_f74aedab90_o.jpg

That car made me poor but I still miss it.

Last edited:
The BMW actually stopped on the driveway and got up from there. Needs much more traction to get up like that than the Audi which got up with speed.
Obviously you're gonna lose the grip when you drive slowly on the driveway and push too much gas so the wheels start to spin.

To demonstrate the advantages of AWD, Nothing can beat the legendary Audi TV commercial:

[video=youtube;5ylX-pO5vRw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ylX-pO5vRw[/video]

Audi did it again in 2005

Summer tires or not, no one should have any issues getting up a driveway with that little snow on the ground...
I got caught out a few years back on snow very early in the season with summer tires in my old Firebird.
I practically got stuck at a traffic light on level ground with about that much snow on the ground.
Wide summer tires on snow = instant death.

Last edited:
(thus the blackened windows t

Most cars in ads have 0% tints actually.
Gonna have to agree with that. Summer tires have basically no grip on snow, rubber gets too hard from the temperature and tread pattern is terrible. On the other hand if the BMW didn't stop in the middle of the drive up it shouldn't have trouble even on summers more than enough momentum to pull into the garage on that much of an incline unless you are going 2mph...

Last edited:
I got caught out a few years back on snow very early in the season with summer tires in my old Firebird.
I practically got stuck at a traffic light on level ground with about that much snow on the ground.
That's why I don't believe the BMW was on summers or the picture doesn't tell us the whole truth. You couldn't get up that driveway by stopping in the middle of it and then driving up on summer tires.

That's why I don't believe the BMW was on summers or the picture doesn't tell us the whole truth. You couldn't get up that driveway by stopping in the middle of it and then driving up on summer tires.

I don't think that the car actually stop I bet what happened was the car coming up the drive way just fine albeit slow and the driver panicked thinking that he/she is not gonna make it and hit the throttle. I was in a bus that did that once, it was fun :)

Could also be really crappy A/S tires but honestly I never had A/S tires that were THAT bad in the snow, I'm thinking there is an ice patch otherwise it makes no sense.

I don't think that the car actually stop I bet what happened was the car coming up the drive way just fine albeit slow and the driver panicked thinking that he/she is not gonna make it and hit the throttle. I was in a bus that did that once, it was fun :)

Could also be really crappy A/S tires but honestly I never had A/S tires that were THAT bad in the snow, I'm thinking there is an ice patch otherwise it makes no sense.
Obviously the car went back and forth many times so it had to stop between changing the direction of the movement. Why it went back in the first place was because of too much throttle.

To me the driveway looks pretty steep.

This is why you don't use heavy equipment on a multistory carpark.

:shock:

That looked like it was only a 5tonne though, I wouldn't be surprised if an investigation turned up something wrong with the carpark. (Not disagreeing with you, just sayin')

The truck might be 5 tons, but the plow and load of salt in the back makes the gross weight much more than that. Plus the carpark probably has a weight limit marked on the entrance that the driver ignored.

Most likely the structural integrity of the concrete was impaired by a corpse in a shallow grave.

This is why you don't use heavy equipment on a multistory carpark.

Well this is one of those phonecals you don't wanna be making to your boss :p

Most likely the structural integrity of the concrete was impaired by a corpse in a shallow grave.

In a sense he's just like an archeologists, albeit with a slightly larger shovel.