Idiots + Winter - The FAIL Collection Thread

Most of that is because the airlines flew as many aircraft out of the path of the storm and canceled flights to avoid fines for delays on the ramp - which can cost as much as $27,000 per passenger.

The ineptitude of drivers doesn't help either.

Honestly I'm pissed that we have temperatures of -18?F (-28?C) but none of the snow. I would much rather have this thing hit Utah head on, at least we are prepared for it and know how to handle ourselves.

Well Massachusetts is reaching record snowfall this winter. I wouldn't call that one the worst, the first we got was the worst, trees down everywhere, power knocked out in a large part of the state.

Topgearfanatic said:
Well Massachusetts is reaching record snowfall this winter. I wouldn't call that one the worst, the first we got was the worst, trees down everywhere, power knocked out in a large part of the state.
NYC is same way we got more snow in about a month than we did for the past couple of winters combined.

I love how this massive storm looks like it dropped all of 8 inches - at least that's about what it looks like compared to the reporter on the side of the road. I don't know, maybe he's on stilts or something.

I am pretty sure the reporter is standing on road and the car would have ended up in a pile of accumulation of the last 5 or so 8"+ storms. If you look out into my yard right now even in the middle there's a good 3+ feet because it hasn't been enough days in between the storms for any melting to happen. EX: It was still slowly snowing this morning, it's supposed to start up again on saturday.

I had my own winter FAIL yesterday. Thankfully, I aimed for a sidestreet and not a snowbank.

Top tip: When weathermen say that a "winter mix" is predicted, it really means that a monster that eats traction is falling from the sky, in pieces, to assemble itself around anything resembling a corner.

So my mom's car went into service today and I had to drop her off to pick up her car. She drives a subaru, and since subarus are AWD the dealer decided not plowing would make their cars seem more impressive as you pull up in your FWD ecobox and skid.

So the entrance is a pile of slush, there was about 2 inches of mostly rough ice (there was a pothole in the ice where you could see the pavement) and at the end where you turn the car around there is a small hill. Up the entrance, across the ice, through the pothole on the right side, partially up the hill and out again and the bug only slipped a bit moving from the slush pile to pavement. :mrgreen:

There are days I really hate my car for it's many faults, but then there are days like this when I am impressed by it and love it.

So my mom's car went into service today and I had to drop her off to pick up her car. She drives a subaru, and since subarus are AWD the dealer decided not plowing would make their cars seem more impressive as you pull up in your FWD ecobox and skid.

So the entrance is a pile of slush, there was about 2 inches of mostly rough ice (there was a pothole in the ice where you could see the pavement) and at the end where you turn the car around there is a small hill. Up the entrance, across the ice, through the pothole on the right side, partially up the hill and out again and the bug only slipped a bit moving from the slush pile to pavement. :mrgreen:

There are days I really hate my car for it's many faults, but then there are days like this when I am impressed by it and love it.

Niice. Sounds like my parking lot at the moment...

Spotted this myself while driving around today.

IMG_8372.JPG

On its side facing the wrong way, with no ditch or anything to blame it on.

So the entrance is a pile of slush, there was about 2 inches of mostly rough ice (there was a pothole in the ice where you could see the pavement) and at the end where you turn the car around there is a small hill.

That's pretty much all of Dallas at the moment. I've been having fun taking a large old 'unsafe in winter' RWD car with not-so-great tires sideways everywhere around Dallas. It's really amusing to go up hills sideways after watching some lighter FWD cars attempt the hill and fail.

IMG_8370.JPG

IMG_8368.JPG

Last edited:
Spotted this myself while driving around today.

IMG_8372.JPG

On its side facing the wrong way, with no ditch or anything to blame it on.

That's pretty much all of Dallas at the moment. I've been having fun taking a large old 'unsafe in winter' RWD car with not-so-great tires sideways everywhere around Dallas. It's really amusing to go up hills sideways after watching some lighter FWD cars attempt the hill and fail.

IMG_8370.JPG

IMG_8368.JPG
Nice, one of my co-workers is in from Houston he was telling me they are crashing EVERYWHERE and our Houston office is closed.

Nice, one of my co-workers is in from Houston he was telling me they are crashing EVERYWHERE and our Houston office is closed.

Thanks, I'll try to keep that in mind the next time a Texan mocks the French or Belgian people for failing at a light dusting of snow.

Thanks, I'll try to keep that in mind the next time a Texan mocks the French or Belgian people for failing at a light dusting of snow.

You do realize that the reason Houston is closed right now is that they've got several inches or so of snow, right?

Also, NORTH Texas gets snow and ice on a regular basis. SOUTH Texas gets, uh, NO snow on a regular basis. Houston is in SOUTH Texas. Dallas is in NORTH Texas. We get to drive in this stuff yearly. Strangely for your assertions, Dallas isn't shut down and we're still driving around.

Talk about people that don't know geography...

So, yeah, I'm still going to mock the Northern Europeans that fail miserably and surrender to 1-2cm of snow. We have about 15cm-plus of snow and ice now and we're still going.

Last edited:
I'd have to back Spectre up on this one, you are talking about a place where most people never seen snow so they don't really know how to handle it. Also they seem to have mostly ice down there right now.

So, yeah, I'm still going to mock the Northern Europeans that fail miserably and surrender to 1-2cm of snow. We have about 15cm-plus of snow and ice now and we're still going.

1 or 2 cm of snow. This pic i from December in DK.
0202s.jpg

Yeah, Houston never gets snow, period. Snow is Houston would be like snow in Seville. It just doesn't happen. Up here in Dallas we get it yearly, and guess what, for every person that fails at driving, there are a thousand that seem to handle the snow and ice just fine.

1 or 2 cm of snow. This pic i from December in DK.
0202s.jpg

He's referring to an incident from earlier this year that someone posted videos from - Paris got 2cm of snow and it completely shut down along with parts of Belgium. I mocked the Parisians mercilessly.

You should always mock the french. Just because they are french. :tease:

Yeah we had a bunch of freezing rain that coated everything in ice here in San Antonio last night. Been years since they have even had a flurry here. Also spectre where was this picture taken
IMG_8372.JPG

That tower looks decidedly like the trinity university tower here in San Antonio but that doesnt look like San Antonio.

It was over by what used to be Texas Stadium in Irving, think that's the private University Of Dallas that's back there.