Idiots + Winter - The FAIL Collection Thread

So what you mean is, that you cannot do this with Scandinavian winter tires? How sad :(

Sure you could, but not for very long. I can tell you that my friend burned all of his tread on Blizzaks in one winter in the 350Z, because he was always driving on dry tarmac.

I'll see your air and raise you a hummer...

3230258a.jpg

And back to the conversation, REAL winter tires would be a waste here due to the maybe 2 weeks of total snow we get spread out over a couple months. Real winter tires would just get eaten away in on the cold, but bare and dry pavement. And since the snow never seems to fall when they predict it's going to, it's quite easy to get caught with non-optimal tires on your car.

Enjoy replacing those tie rods and probably a dozen other suspension components on that Hummer.

I'm not sure about the WK but the WK2 uses the M chassis. Air suspension has advantages both off and onroad.

If you want a basic 4x4 you can still buy a Wrangler, Defender, LandCruiser,etc.

Air suspensions tend to freeze up around here. The Defender hasn't been imported since the 90s and there is nothing "basic" about the Land Cruisers we get in the US.

Last edited:
Enjoy replacing those tie rods and probably a dozen other suspension components on that Hummer.

Air suspensions tend to freeze up around here. The Defender hasn't been imported since the 90s and there is nothing "basic" about the Land Cruisers we get in the US.

I meant internationaly you can get a hold of a basic offroader. I'm not sure about Jeep and Mercedes, but there are coil swap kits for Land Rovers (or if you live in Bumfuckia you can get a coil Discovery from LR).

Shouldn't be necessary, as the stuff is either bespoke or 2500-sereis HD parts. While most H2s are parking lot queens, there are a lot of gus serious about offroading them, as GM actually put a lot of thought into the chassis (no, it's not a dressed up Tahoe).

And while I like the air suspension on my Rangie, my last one had the coil spring conversion that eliminated it. It's actually pretty cheap to do.

Shouldn't be necessary, as the stuff is either bespoke or 2500-sereis HD parts. While most H2s are parking lot queens, there are a lot of gus serious about offroading them, as GM actually put a lot of thought into the chassis (no, it's not a dressed up Tahoe).

And while I like the air suspension on my Rangie, my last one had the coil spring conversion that eliminated it. It's actually pretty cheap to do.
Weren't there a bunch of cases of the H2s snapping control arms from regular on road driving? I think it was mentioned on the boards at some point.

Weren't there a bunch of cases of the H2s snapping control arms from regular on road driving? I think it was mentioned on the boards at some point.

120k miles and counting, no suspension bits have broken off yet (my dad owns one) :)

Just because yours hasn't broken anything doesn't mean that there hasn't been a rash of problems. As I recall there was even a service bulletin posted about snapping tie rods on the H2. All you have to do is go to YouTube and there are a bunch of videos showing H2s on only moderately challenging terrain breaking tie rods.

Just because yours hasn't broken anything doesn't mean that there hasn't been a rash of problems. As I recall there was even a service bulletin posted about snapping tie rods on the H2. All you have to do is go to YouTube and there are a bunch of videos showing H2s on only moderately challenging terrain breaking tie rods.

And I never claimed such. Just offering my personal experience.

From what I heard the P38's air suspensions is particularly bad (the aggressive and sometime pointless leveling wears the pumps out).

The Range Rover dealerships here in Salt Lake used to have a ton of vehicles in during the winter because the pumps or valves had frozen. It was not uncommon to see vehicles sitting around the shop in various suspension configurations trying to thaw out.

Oops, I'll add that to the list. I forgot about the tiny island nation of India as well :D
In my defence my world view sort of looks like this

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2011/01/02/oa1amx.jpg

You call me a racist and say I smoke weed!? :O Okay, okay! the racist thing is kinda true BUT!! WEED!?

And yes we fought a zillion times and you know what? We kicked your ass'!! :hump:

The beer thing... Well... What can I say? :D
-I'm 16 and I'm aloud to buy alcohol! :-D :whistle:

Guess who found a really steep and iced over hill at 03:02 today :dance:
I had climbed the hill hundreds of times before in all kinds of weather so I am pretty used to it but this morning I found myself running out of speed fast, an omnious moment of equillibrium, and an accelerating sensation back down the hill. I catched a snowbank with the rear right tire that pivoted the left front into the snowbank on the other side. Once I stepped out of the car I had to think quick and took a surfers pose as gravity took me all the way down the hill, so at least my tires were better than my shoes which had done me so proud earlier in the evening in the bowling alley that was the streets of Gothenburg.

After an hour trying to salt and sand the road we gave up, left the car on the now apparently 2614 mm wide road and went to bed. The operation resumed at 09:06 and one hydraulic jack, more sand and 20 minutes later we had put the Astra back on course and successfully accomplished the mission, which makes this a WIN!

I forgot taking pictures, so have this from ukaina instead
https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2011/01/09/article-1242868-07D8D03C000005DC-13_634x491.jpg

Last edited:
We had +10 degrees yesterday... Not much left to slide on. Right now it looks like this outside:

5338772476_7640e6b9ea_o.jpg

By the way: See the tracks below my window? That's still from the idiot who mowed the lawn after the first snow fell about 6 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Guess who found a really steep and iced over hill at 03:02 today

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/ar/archie411/2011/01/09/avatar10064_17.gif

I had climbed the hill hundreds of times before in all kinds of weather so I am pretty used to it but this morning I found myself running out of speed fast, an omnious moment of equillibrium, and an accelerating sensation back down the hill. I catched a snowbank with the rear right tire that pivoted the left front into the snowbank on the other side. Once I stepped out of the car I had to think quick and took a surfers pose as gravity took me all the way down the hill, so at least my tires were better than my shoes which had done me so proud earlier in the evening in the bowling alley that was the streets of Gothenburg.

After an hour trying to salt and sand the road we gave up, left the car on the now apparently 2614 mm wide road and went to bed. The operation resumed at 09:06 and one hydraulic jack, more sand and 20 minutes later we had put the Astra back on course and successfully accomplished the mission,
which makes this a WIN!

I forgot taking pictures

You and buffy...:p

Reactions: AiR
Who, the vampire slayer? :D

Last edited:

IIRC (and since I can't get there from work) the You Tube stuff was reposts of one or two vehicles that did that on a hill. I can find as many pics of serious Jeeps and Land Rovers that broke stuff, too. And tie rods are about the easiest to break on any offroader.

I'm just saying that the primarty complaints about the H2 as a real offroader tend not to be valid, once you get in and study what GM did under there.

From what I heard the P38's air suspensions is particularly bad (the aggressive and sometime pointless leveling wears the pumps out).

Definitely pointless levellling, as the systems are programmed to level them out even when parked and shut off. And the system is designed to level to match the lowest wheel. Which tends to simply lower each corner individually going around the vehicle until it's all the way down... Mine does it if I'm not parked on a perfectly flat location. But, it still inflates just fine afterward, adn does it's automatic lowering at speed, too. At 92k miles, it's been reliable. The parts to fix/maintain them have gotten rather inexpensive, too, which is why so many peopel that had removed teh air ride to convert to standard springs are now converting back. The most complex and pricey part, the air distribution block, can now be easily rebuilt with new o-rings for just over $50. Air bags themselves are now avaialble in the latest engineering style for around a hundered bucks a corner, and they last longer than the originals. These days it's really not that expensive to own and maintain a P38 like my '01 model.

The Range Rover dealerships here in Salt Lake used to have a ton of vehicles in during the winter because the pumps or valves had frozen. It was not uncommon to see vehicles sitting around the shop in various suspension configurations trying to thaw out.

Mine is fine in cold weather:

Snow1.jpg

Way better than my E38 is... ;)

Last edited:
It never occurred to me that you owned a P38, and a good looking one too. Kudos for that, people avoid them like rabies in this country.