If you had 10k - which car or bike would you purchase as a project?

JakeRadden

Car(s)
2014 Mustang, 2015 Edge, 2015 Sonata
Either a 87 Fox Body Cougar build up into a nice cruiser or if finding one was impossible, I'd take my poor daily and fix it up the way I want. Unfortunately 10k would mostly go to the engine ....... Viper V-10's are not cheap.
I love those things. I've been looking for a clean one as a project car for a while. Ideally a roller, one of the guys locally has a nice Dart block 347 / T5 combo I'd buy and put in it.

Shit, there's a really clean one that just popped up for $4.5k... 72k original miles.

Last edited:

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
I love those things. I've been looking for a clean one as a project car for a while. Ideally a roller, one of the guys locally has a nice Dart block 347 / T5 combo I'd buy and put in it.

Shit, there's a really clean one that just popped up for $4.5k... 72k original miles.
Link? I love looking at odd Foxes.

TGCDN

Car(s)
Buick Rendezvous, Dodge Dakota

That style was only 5 years (2 years with aero headlights) before the platform was changed to the MN-12

Was my first car (with my own coin) great car but bad luck befallen mine. Blew the head gasket (infamous 3.8). Ex-friend borrowed it and front end wrecked it and rear end clipped in another incident. Still miss my big cat a little.

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
The Jeep of Theseus, Angry Wagon
10K could probably net me an unmolested (but in need of work) '70 Ranchero with a 390 and a bare 428 block to build, so that's what I would do. Imma be the king of the trailer park!

Last edited:

TGCDN

Car(s)
Buick Rendezvous, Dodge Dakota

I'd stay in the Ford engine realm. Since it quite a heavy car, I'd probably spring for a Coyote 5.0 modern engine. I've always loved the scream of a supercharger so I would tack one on. Should have enough umph to get it rolling.

CrzRsn

Mr. Fedewhatever
DONOR
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
10K could probably net me an unmolested (but in need of work) '70 Ranchero with a 390 and a bare 428 block to build, so that's what I would do. Imma be the king of the trailer park!
Speaking of '70s Fords, I was talking to car collector last summer, and he mentioned how 4 years ago he had the opportunity to buy a '71 Torino Squire with a 429 Super Cobra Jet for $7,500 at an Autorama show and he walked away from it. I'm guessing it wasn't one of the original 6 built, but he said it looked factory fresh. Hes still kicking himsell over not picking it up.

PelicanHazard

Car(s)
'13 Dart 1.4T mtx, '13 FIAT, '03 Ranger XLT Supcab
There might be a non-running or molested Alfa GTV6 for under $10k somewhere. I'd get that. Even if I can't revive it, I'd love to just look at it all day.

Last edited:

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
The Jeep of Theseus, Angry Wagon
Speaking of '70s Fords, I was talking to car collector last summer, and he mentioned how 4 years ago he had the opportunity to buy a '71 Torino Squire with a 429 Super Cobra Jet for $7,500 at an Autorama show and he walked away from it. I'm guessing it wasn't one of the original 6 built, but he said it looked factory fresh. Hes still kicking himsell over not picking it up.
A 429SCJ Torino Squire is my guilty-pleasure dream car. You're right that it was probably not an original, but man would that be a fun thing to have! Christ, the engine alone was probably worth the $7.5k - I'd be kicking myself too.

Last edited:

bone

"bangle for president"
DONOR
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
?8k is anout $9.5k. It'll take way more than $500 to ger that running again.
if your project doesn't go over budget, you're not ambitious enough! :p

JakeRadden

Car(s)
Link? I love looking at odd Foxes.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/4835273241.html

There's also the MN-12 cars, with the 2v or 4v 4.6. Those are much more plentiful and more likely. I know a guy locally (Bought my axlebacks from him) who's got a Mark VIII with a fully built Terminator drivetrain swap. Magnum T-56, 2.3L Whipple. Makes something like 700 at the tire on corn juice.

I just love them because they are so ridiculously, impossibly ugly, but they're foxes underneath. (The 80s ones at least)

Still looks like grandma's coupe. Love it.

Last edited:

JakeRadden

Car(s)
Craig just got rid of his "picked up another Mustang" signature. Time for a "picked up a Mercury" one to replace the Focus :p
I might actually go look at that thing. Plan is to sell the jeep in the spring and buy a summer beater, which for me probably means some sort of foxbody.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
That's a very nice example of a Cougar. Difficult to find one at all, let alone in that shape.

I won't be buying anything until I finish this Miata and see if I want to keep it.

JakeRadden

Car(s)
That's a very nice example of a Cougar. Difficult to find one at all, let alone in that shape.

I won't be buying anything until I finish this Miata and see if I want to keep it.
That $800 "sorta running" miata is still floating around here. If it's there in the spring, I'm probably buying it.