If you had 10k - which car or bike would you purchase as a project?

Either a 87 Fox Body Cougar build up into a nice cruiser or if finding one was impossible, I'd take my poor daily and fix it up the way I want. Unfortunately 10k would mostly go to the engine ....... Viper V-10's are not cheap.

I love those things. I've been looking for a clean one as a project car for a while. Ideally a roller, one of the guys locally has a nice Dart block 347 / T5 combo I'd buy and put in it.

Shit, there's a really clean one that just popped up for $4.5k... 72k original miles.

Last edited:
I love those things. I've been looking for a clean one as a project car for a while. Ideally a roller, one of the guys locally has a nice Dart block 347 / T5 combo I'd buy and put in it.

Shit, there's a really clean one that just popped up for $4.5k... 72k original miles.

Link? I love looking at odd Foxes.

87xr701.jpg

That style was only 5 years (2 years with aero headlights) before the platform was changed to the MN-12

Was my first car (with my own coin) great car but bad luck befallen mine. Blew the head gasket (infamous 3.8). Ex-friend borrowed it and front end wrecked it and rear end clipped in another incident. Still miss my big cat a little.

10K could probably net me an unmolested (but in need of work) '70 Ranchero with a 390 and a bare 428 block to build, so that's what I would do. Imma be the king of the trailer park!

Last edited:

I'd stay in the Ford engine realm. Since it quite a heavy car, I'd probably spring for a Coyote 5.0 modern engine. I've always loved the scream of a supercharger so I would tack one on. Should have enough umph to get it rolling.

10K could probably net me an unmolested (but in need of work) '70 Ranchero with a 390 and a bare 428 block to build, so that's what I would do. Imma be the king of the trailer park!

Speaking of '70s Fords, I was talking to car collector last summer, and he mentioned how 4 years ago he had the opportunity to buy a '71 Torino Squire with a 429 Super Cobra Jet for $7,500 at an Autorama show and he walked away from it. I'm guessing it wasn't one of the original 6 built, but he said it looked factory fresh. Hes still kicking himsell over not picking it up.

There might be a non-running or molested Alfa GTV6 for under $10k somewhere. I'd get that. Even if I can't revive it, I'd love to just look at it all day.

Last edited:
Speaking of '70s Fords, I was talking to car collector last summer, and he mentioned how 4 years ago he had the opportunity to buy a '71 Torino Squire with a 429 Super Cobra Jet for $7,500 at an Autorama show and he walked away from it. I'm guessing it wasn't one of the original 6 built, but he said it looked factory fresh. Hes still kicking himsell over not picking it up.

A 429SCJ Torino Squire is my guilty-pleasure dream car. You're right that it was probably not an original, but man would that be a fun thing to have! Christ, the engine alone was probably worth the $7.5k - I'd be kicking myself too.

Last edited:
?8k is anout $9.5k. It'll take way more than $500 to ger that running again.

if your project doesn't go over budget, you're not ambitious enough! :p

Link? I love looking at odd Foxes.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/4835273241.html

There's also the MN-12 cars, with the 2v or 4v 4.6. Those are much more plentiful and more likely. I know a guy locally (Bought my axlebacks from him) who's got a Mark VIII with a fully built Terminator drivetrain swap. Magnum T-56, 2.3L Whipple. Makes something like 700 at the tire on corn juice.

I just love them because they are so ridiculously, impossibly ugly, but they're foxes underneath. (The 80s ones at least)

Still looks like grandma's coupe. Love it.

Last edited:
Craig just got rid of his "picked up another Mustang" signature. Time for a "picked up a Mercury" one to replace the Focus :p

I might actually go look at that thing. Plan is to sell the jeep in the spring and buy a summer beater, which for me probably means some sort of foxbody.

That's a very nice example of a Cougar. Difficult to find one at all, let alone in that shape.

I won't be buying anything until I finish this Miata and see if I want to keep it.

That $800 "sorta running" miata is still floating around here. If it's there in the spring, I'm probably buying it.

I might actually go look at that thing. Plan is to sell the jeep in the spring and buy a summer beater, which for me probably means some sort of foxbody.

What happened to the Miata plan?