If you had the power, how would you force/convince people to downsize their cars?

My buddy's family owns a construction business that he helps out with whenever he goes home. While he is at school he is an avid off-roader and rides a snowmobile and an atv. I don't think he would be on board with your plan of forcefully making cars smaller. Neither would my friend and his brother who own a landscaping business. Neither would my friend who frequently tows horse trailers. Neither would my friend who has to tow his project/show car around. I can keep going if you'd like...

Keyword there. There is nothing wrong with commercial vehicles. But when you have soccer moms and spoiled teenagers wanting a huge SUV or a truck just "because it is safe" or because "it is cool", that's just wrong.

The only reason why I would buy a pickup truck is if I needed it. I would never buy one just because it is big or cool. Trucks are supposed to have a purpose.

But when you have soccer moms and spoiled teenagers wanting a huge SUV or a truck just "because it is safe" or because "it is cool", that's just wrong.

I think that's why trying to move people towards small cars by regulation will never work. People want what they think is going to make them cool. I'd argue that expensive small cars, premium small cars, and fashion object small cars would do a lot more to get people to downsize than regulation, because they would be cool, and desirable.

I think that's why trying to move people towards small cars by regulation will never work. People want what they think is going to make them cool. I'd argue that expensive small cars, premium small cars, and fashion object small cars would do a lot more to get people to downsize than regulation, because they would be cool, and desirable.

You have a good point, but it wouldn't work in the states. We all agree that the Mini Cooper S is very cool, and yet the average american (especially in the south) would think it is a girl's car. Performance figures and lap times won't help you - if it's small, it's uncool.

Keyword there. There is nothing wrong with commercial vehicles. But when you have soccer moms and spoiled teenagers wanting a huge SUV or a truck just "because it is safe" or because "it is cool", that's just wrong.

The only reason why I would buy a pickup truck is if I needed it. I would never buy one just because it is big or cool. Trucks are supposed to have a purpose.
You seem to have ignored the other examples that I mentioned: transporting a snowmobile, transporting an atv, towing horse trailers, and towing cars. Like I said, I can provide plenty more examples because I know plenty of truck/SUV owners that really put their vehicles to use, and not for business/commercial purposes.

So trucks need to go back to being ridiculously utilitarian? The ones where you washed out the cab with a hose and wiped down the seat with a towel afterwards. That doesn't hurt the off-roading group because they don't need the luxury with the type of things they're doing, the commercial side is already really stripped out to begin with so not much changes, and soccer moms won't be able to get the pampering they think they deserve by a false truck because those will be nonexistent. Basically al that crap that Toyota flaunts in those crappy highlander ads should be abolished in trucks.

You have a good point, but it wouldn't work in the states. We all agree that the Mini Cooper S is very cool, and yet the average american (especially in the south) would think it is a girl's car. Performance figures and lap times won't help you - if it's small, it's uncool.
Keep in mind that there are just as many attempts to sell large vehicles as cool in the states. It's all about marketing, image and profit, and trucks are high profit, which leads to more marketing. Small cars could sell in the south, but it wouldn't work without everyone in on it.

If they got rid of large cars, I would take the extra gas I wasn't buying and just burn it in an elaborate swimming pool shaped to form the sentence, FUCK YOU THAT"S WHY.

How would i tow my boat or Jet ski ?

EDIT: Not sure about car sizes in the US, but isn't a hyundai Genesis considered a large luxury sedan ?

Last edited:
But when you have soccer moms and spoiled teenagers wanting a huge SUV or a truck just "because it is safe" or because "it is cool", that's just wrong.

Regardless of if it is actually safe or not, wanting a big vehicle because someone thinks it's safe is wrong? If we're going by that, wanting a Volvo is wrong because it's safe. :rolleyes:

Erm, if you really want to get down to it, most people don't need a car to begin with. Not that I advocate this, but if you're going to make the most logical sense, ban cars completely and mandate motorcycles. Least cost, least road damage, best fuel economy, smaller than cars.

Why yes, I think this is a stupid idea and a stupid question. But if you look at it honestly, the proper downsize, logically, is NO car. How do you like that idea? :rolleyes:

I think I detect sarcasm... but in case you are serious, keep in mind that someone who buys a truck to go offroading is likely to have that as his only vehicle, in which case luxury makes perfect sense.
Yeah, it was a bit of sarcasm, I just wanted to take a swing at Toyota.

Ok, let's rephrase the question. A common bitching/complaint point on these forums is how cars have grown heavier over time, so for those who preach 'lightness' how do you want to see this trend reversed. Don't just play devil's advocate, offer real suggestions if you want to see it happen.

Ok, let's rephrase the question. A common bitching/complaint point on these forums is how cars have grown heavier over time, so for those who preach 'lightness' how do you want to see this trend reversed. Don't just play devil's advocate, offer real suggestions if you want to see it happen.

I suppose it'll come down to using lightweight materials or making more "basic" cars.

Get teenagers to call your SUV "gay."

Despite my dislike of of inability to see around them, a decent amount of people use trucks for their intended use. I quite commonly see pickups with full beds and here there is also the important factor of ability to hook up a snow plow.

Have every TV advert for a small car contain at least 99% explosions and starring both the 'get out your fucking checkbook' guy and Big Bill Hell's
Force Super 2000 regulations on NASCAR
Free gun with every compact car (With the advert slogan "Compacts for Combat", naturally.)
Free Bible with every compact car
Free home brewery with every compact car
Diplomatic immunity with every compact car

Even better you could have all, or indeed none of the above as all part of the same deal. Then watch those fuckers fly off the forecourts. I could be Don Draper