Ownership Verified: I'll have some off - 1990 Land Rover Discovery Bobtail

What was the purpose of the cables anyway?

While these are both good answers...

Keeping everything together and preventing bodywork from falling off? :p

To have a place where you can air your clothes when camping out in the wilderness?

...they're actually bush cables. They're there to guide tree branches up and over the roof instead of hitting the windscreen or whipping you in the face if the window is open.

As it turns out, they're not actually illegal at the moment and these are sleeved in plastic but there is definitely potential for slicing pedestrians in an accident.

I now know why the fuel sender wasn't fitted to the new tank. It's part of the inboard pump and due to the location of the tank the pump is no longer needed so no sender, looking at pictures of the unit I suspect that it wouldn't fit too. I may buy a universal one.

Suggestions for names are welcome, I can't come up with anything smart at the moment, the plate doesn't lead to anything obvious.

Name it for that old truck on Roadkill - "Stubby Bob"

maxresdefault.jpg

Ooh, I like the idea of going with Stubby X, I have the T-shirt to honour Stubby Bob but a Land Rover needs to earn the name Bob with an incident like this:

4x4-in-deep-water-ea-picture-matt-drew-440x.jpg

I'm thinking of Stubby Harry, it reminds me of Debbie Harry which makes me chuckle and at least the H is right for the plate. :D

How many of those hacky "ZOMBIE RESPONSE VEHICLE" stickers did you have to peel off the bodywork? ;)

Stubby Bob Jr.

DO EEET!

You do that and I will even pay for the vinyl, pinkie swear!

Don't worry about vinyl, it seems like a good excuse to 3D print some letters actually. :think:

Considering the option of fitting a fuel probe to the tank, there are several very expensive ones such as this one made by ATL but there also seem to be cheaper ones made for boats and planes. Anyone have any experience with them?

How many of those hacky "ZOMBIE RESPONSE VEHICLE" stickers did you have to peel off the bodywork? ;)

Hehe, none fortunately as the guy who built it has better taste. I was given one that says "Doesn't stop for zombies" on it but that won't be going on. I think it needs some yellow highlights.

I had ignored normal senders because I assumed the baffles in the tank would get in the way but maybe not, will investigate. The fact that the tank gets wider towards the bottom makes it awkward anyway.

Anyway two things happened today: The first proper job on Bob was done and Keely donated her first parts. The wheel bearing is now sorted, I got it stripped down reasonably quickly and found that the inner bearing was completely destroyed. The inner race had also welded itself to the stub axle, something that has happened to me before but that time the inner bearing stayed together and made it a nightmare to get the thing apart, this time it came apart easily. There was no way that stub axle could be used again so I stripped Keely to the same point and used all of those parts, the bearing on that corner was replaced for the MOT last year so it was nice to put those parts to better use. Being the same parts they went together again with no problem, the thing now drives much better.

That gave me the chance to go and fill the diesel tank and see how much I had in there, the sight gauge has one mark but I don't know what it means. It was full after just 26 litres so I still had a good amount left, I also have no idea how much was in there to start with. Tomorrow I'll get a few more jobs done, like measuring up for security bolts and applying labels to a few unlabelled electrical items. Maybe the drivers door lock will get swapped. I'm considering a GPS speedometer like my dad has in his driving school car, with the massive tyres on the speedo seems accurate but I'll be putting the mud tyres on for 'normal' use once I have space to store these so it'll be out. It's fine using my phone but these units sometimes show up cheap on eBay so I'll probably pick one up.

A few days ago I had a dig through the box of receipts and invoices that came with it, it has everything from a printout of the original eBay auction in 2006 to the rear electric locker and a couple of receipts from Halfords to say that the battery bought in 2014 had been replaced under warranty last year. Really good stuff.

A couple of new photos and videos, I've now transferred the wheels from Keely as it's much better for driving green roads/lanes.

DSC_9308_P_S1920.jpg

DSC_9311_P_S1920.jpg

Last edited:
Bit of a power steering leak :lol: How did you force your mother to take a ride in it?

She was having a go driving it on the back road where I took the photos and actually liked driving it, she sometimes drove Keely around when it was on the road. Won't touch Bugsy though because of the auto. :lol:

It's funny seeing how people react, I got a thumbs up from one of the kids in the group I passed in the second video. :D

You do realise that rear view makes it look like a fat bloke with skinny legs who is wearing a shirt but no trousers?