I'm back - and I have a request. It's a Trabant.

JipJopJones

Car(s)
1979 Cressida Wagon, 1981 Corolla Hardtop
Hi old friends and folks of finalgear! Long time no see!

I've kinda fallen out of the internet forum scene and on to other things. However I recently decided I needed something in my life, and I need a European to help me with it. I don't know many Europeans, however I know a place that I once knew a few! It's called anal gear! ....I mean..... FINAL GEAR!

Anyways, as you may have inferred from the title. I'm looking for a Trabant. Why? Because. You can't talk me out of it. I'm sorry.... I'm the worst. I know.

2dr sedan. Doesn't have to run, but has to be reasonably rust free. (yes I know they are made of cloth... I mean the frame)

Is there anyone out there willing to help me find one for a decent amount of money? I've gone on a few different european for sale sites with mixed results. I mostly just want to chat with someone who might be willing to purchase the car for me and fill the paperwork on the export side. I'm on a budget, hence why I'm trying to avoid exporters. I know Dr_Grip back in the day (and was it CraigB?) got something to go the other direction. Maybe we can make this work as a two way street? (Ocean)

Thanks for any an all responses! I know I haven't been an active member here for a long time... so I'm not expecting a huge response, but I appreciate the views!

Hi old friends and folks of finalgear! Long time no see!

I've kinda fallen out of the internet forum scene and on to other things. However I recently decided I needed something in my life, and I need a European to help me with it. I don't know many Europeans, however I know a place that I once knew a few! It's called anal gear! ....I mean..... FINAL GEAR!

Anyways, as you may have inferred from the title. I'm looking for a Trabant. Why? Because. You can't talk me out of it. I'm sorry.... I'm the worst. I know.

2dr sedan. Doesn't have to run, but has to be reasonably rust free. (yes I know they are made of cloth... I mean the frame)

Is there anyone out there willing to help me find one for a decent amount of money? I've gone on a few different european for sale sites with mixed results. I mostly just want to chat with someone who might be willing to purchase the car for me and fill the paperwork on the export side. I'm on a budget, hence why I'm trying to avoid exporters. I know Dr_Grip back in the day (and was it CraigB?) got something to go the other direction. Maybe we can make this work as a two way street? (Ocean)

Thanks for any an all responses! I know I haven't been an active member here for a long time... so I'm not expecting a huge response, but I appreciate the views!

http://trabantusa.yolasite.com/importing-trabants.php

Also, since hipsters have discovered the Trabant, they're actually being imported to the US these days. Contact this guy on Youtube:

Last edited:
http://trabantusa.yolasite.com/importing-trabants.php

Also, since hipsters have discovered the Trabant, they're actually being imported to the US these days.

lol. I feel like trabants would require far more work than a hipster would be willing to deal with. They can stick to their VWs and Volvos.

I'll certainly take a look at that link though. Thanks for the help (as per usual) Spectre.

Last edited:
lol. I feel like trabants would require far more work than a hipster would be willing to deal with. They can stick to their VWs and Volvos.

I'll certainly take a look at that link though. Thanks for the help (as per usual) Spectre.

Nope. There was a 2014 article in the Wall Street Journal about hipsters suddenly buying them in some numbers. Here's the video from it: http://www.wsj.com/video/east-germa...usa/C5C41AEF-06BE-48D6-97B9-7C2F920578AF.html

The hipsters aren't doing the work themselves, they're paying someone else to do it. :p

Well, getting a Trabant with a reasonable amount or T?V left, put it on temp tags and then on a boat to the US would definitly be possible. BUT I'd recommend you coming over to visit Ringmeet before putting the car on a boat. It's just much more of a story to the car if you drove it from Berlin to the 'Ring, did a lap and only shipped it out then. I once even researched import procedures in the US for Craig, i can find that if you are interested...

I'd have to talk my girl friend into delaying our Japan trip for a Germany trip. But that would certainly be a hell of a good time.

@Dr_Grip - I'd love to see those notes if you can dig them up without too much trouble!

I can't find my notes right now, but this government website seems to cover most bases. Duty is 2.5%, you have to prove that the car was made or first registered at least 25 years ago (should not be a problem with this badge having a "year of manufacture" field) and fill out a bunch of paperwork. Then you are free to drive. Or at least to get it titled. There's a DeMuro article on Jalopnik claiming that it's a war of epic proportions to get the DMV to title an imported car, but there are horror stories like this about imports from the US to Germany as well. I guess it's the same as with all DMVs: Follow their instructions to the letter, bring every piece of paperwork they require, no matter whether showing it makes sense or not, be friendly, be patient, be prepared to return at least once with more paperwork and it'll all go well.

I would note that some US state DMVs are easier to deal with than others. California's DMV is retardedly difficult to deal with even for straightforward transactions. Texas' DMV equivalents are usually pretty easy. Other states can be easier or harder.

I suggest that you go to your local DMV in person and ask specifically what that office wants to see from you. Sometimes what's officially required or posted to a government website is not what the clerk is going to accept or need - and what the clerk wants is what actually matters. I've always had good luck with doing that for unusual or complicated transactions; ask in person first, then bring them what they said I would need even when it was more (or sometimes less) than the official checklist.

I had zero issues acquiring a title, but I think the fact that the vehicle was registered in Canada greatly aided the process. I don't even have any Japanese paperwork.

I have imported from USA to Canada a few times, but never from overseas. I'm more interested jn the process from the german/Hungarian side. Is there any advantage of doing it out of Germany VS Hungary? Prices seem a little cheaper in Hungary...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Well, Hungary doesn't have a sea port at all so you'd have to organize transportation to a sea port as well. I don't think Trabants in Hungary will be that much cheaper to compensate for that fee.

This is something I had not considered. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Basically, all car shipments from central Europe leave from Bremerhaven or Rotterdam (same vessels calling both ports). They say that as a rule of thumb, having a car hauled to one of these places will cost you around 1 Euro per Kilometer. As long as you don't drive it there yourself...

Cool. Thanks so much for all the info! I'm really hoping I can make this happen within a reasonable time frame! Getting to the ring meet would definitely be a huge bonus!

Well, Hungary doesn't have a sea port at all so you'd have to organize transportation to a sea port as well. I don't think Trabants in Hungary will be that much cheaper to compensate for that fee.

I was looking at getting a car from Hungary for the Romanian roadtrip, but apparently the system there doesn't play well with exporting/selling to foreigners. Doable I'm sure, but yet more extra hassle.

And would you have guessed this local info and help came via Finalgear.. :p

Edit: also, happy birthday. :dance:

Last edited:
You'd be surprised at how much random shit hipsters do just to be hipsters. Also since many have trust funds they can afford to pay people to restore the cars for them