I'm going to SF to pick up the F430 right now!

A white V10 S6? I'd take that over the F430.

It's nice for sure, but it's a totally different kind of fast. It feels a lot more like an AMG car in contrast to the higher revving ferrari, though you could say that about any engine that doesn't rev to 8700 like the 430 does. It's very quick, but much meatier in feeling and response. I did get to drive it home from dinner tonight, which was a fun experience.

So I take it you don't get to drive the nice cars that often, eh? I should be glad then... I can't drive my dad's car alone but if we're both going out then he'll let me behind the wheel. Though you really can't do much with him as the passenger. :p

I'm a relatively new driver. Therefore my insurance is REALLY expensive. I'm technically not supposed to drive the S6 or Ferrari because I'm not insured for either. I do enjoy the chances I get to drive the S6, but I don't trust myself to drive the ferrari yet and neither does my dad.

A white V10 S6? I'd take that over the F430.

dude no! your judgement is lacking big-time

i mean the S6 im sure is neat, but Audi has 2 huge issues. One is driver feel, the cars don't have any and for that they are extremely boring, and the second is related to strut valving (too harsh of rebound), which when you add it all up you get a big rather boring expensive car that isn't at all comfortable as it should be

Ok Ottobon. You're wrong on this one. The S6 is anything but boring. The chassis is taut, it handles brilliantly, it rides very well, it's quick and it shrinks around you. So basically, it's a joy to drive fast. I've ridden in and driven enough moderately quick cars (evo, subie sti, hot audis and vws) to know that it's anything but dull.

By popular demand, it's picture time.
<SNIP>

just beautiful.

that was a really good choice of red to go with...much less tacky than the usual ferrari red. what does your dad do if you dont mind me asking? i guess he owns/runs a business

awwww... no manual.. what a shame 99% perfect id say. hey.. at least you get the L/C

The F430 is good enough to overcome it. It gave me a Ferrarigasm even without the clutch.

Thinking about the bark it gives on downshifts gives me another.

However, there's nothing like rowing through gears and working the clutch. Take this from a late convert to manual transmissions. It's man + machine in synchronization. It's being a driver instead of being an interested participant. It's making the engine do what you want it to do. It may be fractions of a second slower, but a manual sports car is bliss.

Last edited:
Captain BMW won't be posting in this thread again. That's all I need to say.

Continue awesomeness thread.

I have to be honest when i first saw the color i was kinda eehhh about it... but now... damn what a fine looking automobile.

also the S6 is total sex (i would have the avant but then i have a weird thing for fast wagons)

The F430 is good enough to overcome it. It gave me a Ferrarigasm even without the clutch.

Thinking about the bark it gives on downshifts gives me another.

However, there's nothing like rowing through gears and working the clutch. Take this from a late convert to manual transmissions. It's man + machine in synchronization. It's being a driver instead of being an interested participant. It's making the engine do what you want it to do. It may be fractions of a second slower, but a manual sports car is bliss.

The F360 Spider that I drove was a manual, and although it is out of this world, it is a bit of a chore to drive. To have that beautiful signature chrome shift gate, the gear spacing has to be quite large, so shifting from one to the next takes a bit of effort. No big deal when cruising, but during quick-shift driving, it is possible to not properly engage the gear. The clutch is quite heavy and the stick requires a good shove to get it engaged properly, and if it's a cold start, it takes even more effort.

But I was a manual tranny purist for the longest time especially after driving a Maserati coupe with the Cambiocorsa system, which is basically the same as the Ferrari F1 setup. That Maserati's semi-automatic was the most rubbish thing I had ever witnessed and swore off those paddle-shifted systems forever. Then, not too long ago, I drove a Lamborghini Gallardo with the e-gear, and I have to say, I think I'm now a convert! The e-gear was worlds better than the Maser, and the downshift bark never ever gets old. And when driving fast, being able to fire off quick up-shifts and down-shifts tempts my Formula 1 sensibilities. There is something magical about a proper manual, but there's also some things that a semi-automatic brings to the table that a manual tranny can't. If the new F430 system is anywhere near as good as the Lambo's, then you are definitely in for a treat.

Last edited:
I have to be honest when i first saw the color i was kinda eehhh about it... but now... damn what a fine looking automobile.

also the S6 is total sex (i would have the avant but then i have a weird thing for fast wagons)

i would've too but the wagon is euro only.

And in order of typical opinion, the lambo transmission is often ranked worst, then the cambiocorsa and then the ferrari one. Having owned a maser and the 430, my dad believes that the new tranny is a marked improvement over the old, but that the old one wasn't bad at all to begin with.

Ok Ottobon. You're wrong on this one. The S6 is anything but boring. The chassis is taut, it handles brilliantly, it rides very well, it's quick and it shrinks around you. So basically, it's a joy to drive fast. I've ridden in and driven enough moderately quick cars (evo, subie sti, hot audis and vws) to know that it's anything but dull.

For some reason i believe you, although i have heard aforementioned things about certain S model audis, such as the current S3 and at least one of the S6 generations. I may have just been a bit hotheaded because somebody said they'd chose a Saloon car over a Supercar.

A S3 quote:
The car feels uncommonly well planted on the road and, combined with its quattro all-wheel-drive system, it hustles its way down the lanes with great security and authority. But fun? Not from where I was sitting.

a S6 quote:
I would love to meet the team who designed it, because I do not believe that anyone who has ever driven ?a car? before could possibly have fitted this and thought it might do. Their bosses should certainly dig out their CVs and do some deep background investigation, because they?re either imposters or they?re secretly working for BMW.

Last edited:
wow, nice way of opening up a REALLY old thread.

Sorry, I originally had more to say, but for some reason the rest didn't go through. I also wasn't really paying attention to the date stamps for the posts. Oops...

Sorry again,
We still need a vid though, right? :D