Inglorious Basterds

He speaks the third best Italian of us! But I don't speak any Italian! As I said, third best.

I was hoping for more nazi killin' and more with the basterds but alas, no, it almost felt like they weren't the focus of the movie like title implys.

Yes! You hit the nail right in the head. The title and the poster create a wrong impression for the movie.

Loved it, definitely the closest thing to Pulp Fiction QT has done in recent years.

Has it changed anyone's opinion on squirrels?

It was a pretty good movie. Was a bit predictable at times, but it was worth watching.

I'd really like to know the story on where he came from. He hasn't done a movie in almost ten years, and did five movies total prior to this one, but comes out of nowhere with a Best Actor performance.

HUGO STIGLITZ
*guitar solo*

As has been stated before, Waltz has been in constant employment as a episode lead for all major german TV series for the last ten years and did quite a lot of theatre work - as did Martin Wuttke, by the way. Still, even as a german who works in film, he was not even on my list of actors likely to be cast in a major international production (most others were obvious choices), let alone a sure bet for the best supporting actor Oscar.

More generally, i loved the film. There basically is only one quarrel i have with it: The depiction of violence.

Yep, yep, i can here you all go "It's a Tarantino movie, for god's sake! What did you expect?". But that's exactely the point. Tarantino can do better. Pulp Fiction was quite a violent movie, but Tarantino never has to actually show someone getting shot. He always found something more interesting about the violence to show to the audience - the look on the Killer's face, Samuel L. Jackson getting his hair ruined with brain matter or something else. Showing the victim getting shot was just too obvious and boring for Tarantino. And yet, now he did a whole film where every killing is on-screen.

Still, that's only a minor problem in the context of how fun this movie is.

Okay, i got two problems with the film: The other is how obvious Daniel Br?hl's complete lack of any talent becomes when he is paired with the cream of the crop. Even Til "Far Cry" Schweiger, who is a notorical non-actor of Keanu Reeves' proportions delivers a decent performance under Tarantino's guidance - Br?hl just can't.

Last edited:
Just saw it yesterday; good movie, but not as good as I thought it would be.

What encouraged me the most to go see this movie was the 8.7 rating on IMDB, so I came in with high expectations, however, I was slightly disappointed.

Some story elements just didn't make sense,
like how Landa just surrendered like that in the end; I thought he would be smart enough to know that Raine would turn on him

Also, there weren't enough scenes with the Basterds "killin' nazis".

I found the scene when some of the Basterds were pretending to be Italian very funny (especially Brad Pitt)! :lol:

Anyway, good movie, but not as good as I was expecting, and not Tarantino's best (Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill were better).

8/10

Last edited:
I just watched the trailer of the movie again...it is very deceiving! One expects non-stop action and funny jokes, which the actual movie didn't have enough of.

I think the title does actually serve the movie quite well. Sure there was this whole subplot, but it was all so closely linked to the Basterds' adventure that I didn't mind. Anyway, dunno about you guys, but this movie left me speechless. Kind of a new twist to the whole WWII-drama. I love Tarantino's who gives a shit about etiquette-style.

And I'm not saying this out loud out of political correctness, but wasn't it time someone made a movie where it was the Nazis getting splattered all over the stage? I kinda got bloody satisfaction out of that. First time ever I applauded after a film. Seriously. This was an excellent flick. And with all the crap that's been popping up in the last years, you can't really say that about many films.

9/10 (Can't give 10/10 'cos rather surprisingly Brad Pitt wasn't 100% all the way)

Some story elements just didn't make sense, like how Landa yadayada

I'm quite sure Landa had that plan figured out.
He'd thought the Third Reich would fall before long and wanted to save his own ass. He'd taken a calculated risk in thinking Raine was a man of honour to some extent, and wouldn't work against the orders of his superiors. And he'd just given them their lives and the end of the war. Sure Landa had his read on the situation a bit skewed, but it did make sense. He was clearly meant to be this player-type guy with a huge idea of himself, so the idea of something going wrong in his plan just wasn't an option in his head.

Last edited:
I just watched the trailer of the movie again...it is very deceiving! One expects non-stop action and funny jokes, which the actual movie didn't have enough of.
It was less Kill Bill and more Pulp Fiction, but the trailer had everyone thinking otherwise.

Did anyone else catch the joke about King Kong, or was it just mean an my buddy. We were the only one in the theatre laughing at the hidden context there.

Did anyone else catch the joke about King Kong, or was it just mean an my buddy. We were the only one in the theatre laughing at the hidden context there.

Half the audience got it when i saw it - but going to one of the two theaters showing the original (non-dubbed) version pretty much ensures an audience of 50% expats and 50% movie nerds...

I guess I didn't. Whats to get?

I guess I didn't. Whats to get?

Well the guy guessing who he is says along the lines:

"Am I American, no but I came to America, not by choice, on a boat for a long time, in chains. Used for other peoples' benefit."

Then asks something along the lines of:

"Am I human?"

So he was asking if he was a black slave, when he said coming over in chains I noticed it seemed he pointed that fact out more.

alright, dumb question time

was there anything special to see during or after the credits? because when I went to see it, everyone I was with wanted to leave as soon as the credits started rolling, but a whole bunch of other people stayed in the theater, more than usual, so I got the feeling they knew something I didn't

also, did anyone catch the Kelly's Heroes reference? :D

alright, dumb question time

was there anything special to see during or after the credits? because when I went to see it, everyone I was with wanted to leave as soon as the credits started rolling, but a whole bunch of other people stayed in the theater, more than usual, so I got the feeling they knew something I didn't

also, did anyone catch the Kelly's Heroes reference? :D

nothing happened after the credits according to me and runpee (iphone app. tells you when the best time to use the bathroom during a movie is)