Internet: Big sites are slow?

Interrobang

Forum Addict
I have recently moved from france to the netherlands and I am encountering something curious since I have been here with my Pc (adsl connection).

"Big" internet sites like facebook, google, youtube etc - load terribly slow (like 56k slow) compared to when I was in france despite my internet connection being much better now. This curiously does not affect small sites at all like finalgear, but only the "big ones". This also only happens with my Pc, not my Tablet or Phone. Neither via apps nor via browser do I experience this there when using these sites. Youtube on my smartphone - no problem, quick and in good quality. Youtube on my computer? Better wait 5 minutes until the video even starts in lowest quality. Using Vimeo? Best quality, really quick.

Are there some browser-settings or stuff I should change? This is a bit puzzling since this hasn't happend when I moved to france ...

Nah, it's because you're in Fermany (Funny Germany aka Dutchieland).

Once you have a little shmoke your perception of time changes quite dramatically.

:tease:

I have recently moved from france to the netherlands and I am encountering something curious since I have been here with my Pc (adsl connection).

"Big" internet sites like facebook, google, youtube etc - load terribly slow (like 56k slow) compared to when I was in france despite my internet connection being much better now. This curiously does not affect small sites at all like finalgear, but only the "big ones". This also only happens with my Pc, not my Tablet or Phone. Neither via apps nor via browser do I experience this there when using these sites. Youtube on my smartphone - no problem, quick and in good quality. Youtube on my computer? Better wait 5 minutes until the video even starts in lowest quality. Using Vimeo? Best quality, really quick.

Are there some browser-settings or stuff I should change? This is a bit puzzling since this hasn't happend when I moved to france ...

Computer specs? Browser?

Nah, it's because you're in Fermany (Funny Germany aka Dutchieland).

Once you have a little shmoke your perception of time changes quite dramatically.

:tease:

I'm not the type for that sort of recreational activity. *seriousface* Ze weed only makes me sleepy and I have no problems sleeping generally ... so it's pretty much not interesting for me. Not against other people using it or so, for me it just doesn't do anything ...

Computer specs? Browser?

Desktop: win7 , intel C2D E8400, gtx 560, 8gb ram, 500gb SSD for system partition, browsers Chrome and IE. Connected to adsl router with Ethernet cable.
Notebook: Stock Lenovo Yoga 910, win10, firefox and chrome. Connected via wifi. (yeah, I know - my desktop is old but I had to prioritize a new portable computer for work - and it's not so old that it wouldn't be able to suddenly handle facebook - and the yoga is practically still brand new but has the exact same problem)

Not that the specs would matter anyway. Nothing has changed but my location. I can browse bing maps completely fine, but google maps is unusable. I can browse amazon or ebay normally, but loading a picture on Twitter takes 2 minutes. Not on the app or the browser on my phone or Tablet (both android with chrome as a browser) - just on my pc (and laptop). I think this narrows it down to something being "wrong" or badly adjusted with windows. I just can't figure out what and why it only affects certain "big" sites, but not others.

Last edited:
Do your phone and tablet use the same ADSL connection via WIFI or are they using cellular network? Also, are you using mobile versions of those sites with them?

flushdns?

No improvement.

Do your phone and tablet use the same ADSL connection via WIFI or are they using cellular network? Also, are you using mobile versions of those sites with them?
Same adsl connection, I don't have a data plan yet. Mobile sites? The Tablet I've set up that it opens normal sites not mobile sites and everything works fine with that, but the phone uses the mobile sites or/and the apps (for youtube, twitter and the likes).

Did you try in Incognito mode?

Have you cleared cache info or history? Maybe that stuff has geotagging and they?re deliberately throttling you...

Have you cleared cache info or history? Maybe that stuff has geotagging and they?re deliberately throttling you...

flushdns should have taken care of that and I wouldn't know why google.nl (where they also redirect me to when I try google.de or google.com) would be slowing me to the point their services are unusable.

Did you try in Incognito mode?
Yes, no difference.

A little side by side demonstration:
This is google maps after I give up after 2 Minutes of loading

ams1.jpg

This is Bing maps after 2 seconds of loading

ams2.jpg

I FUCKING HATE BING MAPS BUT I AM USING IT NOW! I AM DESPERATE!

:mrgreen:

Last edited:
I don't know if it would make any difference, but I would try to do a firmware update on the router and/or return it to factory settings. If you have not done so already.

you also say it happens on your pc, but not on your phone or tablet
how is your pc connected? by cable? do you have a wifi dongle you can connect to your pc?

Try a different DNS setting on your laptop? Go to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 if your currently using the automatic setting.