Movie: Interstellar (2014)

just received mine through the post, old school CD. shame that the deluxe version is only available on iTunes. epic score though.

Just saw it this weekend without any prior knowledge, it's pretty much all been said. Epic visuals, plot makes no sense, huge homage to 2001. And the robots, I think I burst into laughter every time they moved. But I thought it was great, a complete re-imagining of what a robot is/can be.

And they didn't even betray humanity! I was waiting for it from the moment I heard TARS' sarcastic voice, but that trope was gladly broken.

Overall I couldn't knock it too much for the plot (the ending of 2001 doesn't make any more sense). I get the sense that this is one of those movies people will still be watching in 20 years.

7/10, too much sentimentalist bullshit. Didn't feel like crying, but did feel like facepalming once or twice.

Overall though, I liked it.

If the waterworld transmitter has been transmitting for decades, but the time dilation is on the order of decades, shouldn't the crew be putting two and two together before launching to it?

If the waterworld transmitter has been transmitting for decades, but the time dilation is on the order of decades, shouldn't the crew be putting two and two together before launching to it?

As I've come to accept, some things needed to be loosey-goosey for the sake of the movie. I realize that it's normally acceptable for most movies, but coming from Nolan I expected a solid plot, therefore skewing my judgement of the movie. Even things like exposition - usually seamless with the dialogue (in previous Nolan films) - were a bit ham-fisted.

My second viewing will be approached with more attention to character interaction and visuals rather than nitpicking slight inaccuracies. I do believe this was a great movie and I did thoroughly enjoy it but the amount of superlatives being used to describe this movie is bewildering.

Saw it tonight.

Excellent movie, the only part I didn't like were the speeches about love.

I came very close to tears on pretty much every father daughter dramatic interaction, but that might not have been aided by watching this movie from 6600 miles away from my daughter. Kinda played on my guilty feelings of abandoning her for almost a month.

I will never go to a cinema ever again in Dubai. I have never seen such an indiscipline and unrespectful crowd. People talking from start to finish (specially during the moments of silence, completely destroying the mood), texting, and not even bothering to turn off the ringer on their phone.

^ Reminds me of one hilarious moment when I saw the movie: at a relatively quiet moment one guy's cellphone rang, and another guy in the theatre snickers "heh heh, dumbass."

Cue a couple of giggles across the theatre till the guy silenced his phone.

Seen it yesterday.
Not my favorite Nolan movie and certainly a bit heavy-handed on some aspects and yes, even a few stupid science stuff, but still made me stare at the screen for a few minutes after it was over and it still made me think about it over a couple of beers after we left the movie theater so I can't say it doesn't work as a thought-provoking piece of movie art, and even with those "flaws" it's still a pretty good movie.
I wouldn't give it 10/10, but I surely will recommend people see it.

And yeah, I nearly cried. having a son probably amplified the feels. :p

Last edited:
I'll admit I'm a movie snob especially when it comes to directors (Fincher, Scorsese, Ridley Scott,... ) and Nolan, by far, is one of my favorite because he makes films with substance and incredible story telling.

I walked out of Interstellar and I really didn't know what to think. I quickly told myself that I'm trying to justify liking the film and immediately gave it a 6 (I may be a Nolan fanboy but I'm not going to fool myself).

Days later I realized that I had been thinking about the film for the last 3 days and couldn't stop pondering about many aspects about the film. One of the 1st was the physics aspect. I picked up my two books on general relativity (Shutz and Carrol) that I had taken as an undergraduate and graduate student, and started brushing up on tensor calculus and differential geometry. After two hours of reading and writing equations it became a fruitless en-devour. Then I remember seeing that Kip Thorne, one of the greatest experts on general relativity was a consultant on the movie. I quickly watched the documentary where they discuss all the visual representations and so forth. I was put to sound mind that a lot of the visual representations were accurately portrayed. Other aspects of the film I already realized had a lot of concrete physical and observable physics like the planets orbiting stellar remnants (planets have already been found orbiting neutron stars and so forth) and waves of that magnitude with shallow water can exist under great gravitational stresses.

However it wasn't the scientific aspect that bothered me about the film. It was the ending. It was the got-dam ending. I hated it. It was far too far fetched. But then it finally hit me. It's not that I didn't like the film-it's the expectation I had of the film. Nolan has been given a plethora of credence as a director for making films with possible potential and storytelling at the brink of realism (well, sort of). Interstellar was Nolan's attempt at pure science fiction and I realized I wasn't seeing this film through the correct lenses. In retrospect, I see what the film is now and I'm completely blown away by it. So my initial rating went from a 6 to at a least a 9. Yes, I knew it was a science fiction film from the beginning with the worm hole but I didn't realize the level of science fiction the film was venturing into.

Is it Nolan's best film? It wasn't perfect and it had its flaws (like any film). I really don't know. But what I do know off all the movies I've seen, never has a film made me think this much. It's a thought provoking film and the last time I had a glazed look over my face was reading Jim Al Khalili's-Quantum. For a director to make you think about it a film this much, well for me, it deserves its respect. I will say it's already cataloged in the top 5 greatest science fictions ever made. The movie had so much packed into it that you have to watch again to grasp it.

Yes, all the aspects about love transcending time and space was a bit sappy but I more than willing to over look it.

Last edited:
I really recommend this book by Kip Thorne, the astrophysicist behind the science in the movie and also the executive producer.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Science-Interstellar-Kip-Thorne/dp/0393351378

For once, an item that is cheaper in Canada. I picked it up for $15 last week, read it, watched the movie again a couple days ago and feel very different about it. Like czelaya said the ending was a bit far fetched and the movie is still not as great as many hail it to be, but it is still a strong movie nonetheless.

Exposition is still undeniably sloppy and the love speeches really weren't necessary, but connecting all the dots and noticing finer details the second time around was enjoyable.

I also walked out of the theater not sure how to rate the movie at first and spent a couple days pondering it. I think the movie just took some time to sink in with how intense it was. I give it a 9/10. The love transcends all dimensions or whatever was odd talk but I didn't have a problem with the physics that were made present as I already knew the basics that they showed. The endless loop of Cooper in the tesseract and how it would of all started did pop up in my mind but I chose to ignore it.

Also, I don't believe Inception was a dream! I read an interview with Nolan called "Nolan is tried of all your stupid Inception theories" (something like that) where he dropped hints to it not being all a dream.

Finally got a chance to see it in the theater, sadly not in IMAX, which I bet would've beenm an amazing experience!
It's great, awesome even, 9/10.
I'm not a science person, so I didn't have a problem with the things people have been complaining about.

Teared up a few times, the 23 year video was powerfull, you just can't stay indifferent to that kind of thing.
Someone mentioned pacing in the first part of the movie, that was a bit odd for me too, but in the end can be looked over.
The cinematography, the directing, the sound, all amazing. I love that Nolan uses practical effects more then CGI.
The robots were also a bit exebrow raising at first, really unusual, I kept thinking how the hell is that practical.
But I got used to it and actiually got sort of attached. Also, you'd expect a more 'robotic' voice, too.

All in all, it was great, I bet I'll like it even more next time.
Also, dat organ sound, leave it to Zimmer to give every movie something special.