iPhone / iOS Thread

I can’t feel anything with my fingernails on the Spigen.

I didn’t want screen protectors since I didn’t want anything ruining the feel, but I have to admit this is fine. I can’t tell the difference from a brand new naked iphone screen.

I can’t feel anything with my fingernails on the Spigen.
Maybe a defect with mine, never noticed it on any screen protector before. Of course I can't try the other one because it's inside the applicator thingy.

That's the only thing I don't like, the applicator should at least be made of bio-degradable plastic. It isn't even a commonly recycled plastic. It can apparently be re-used with refills, in which case why give us two applicators in the box? :hmm:

I went at got a screen protector installed in a store just over a week ago. They have a sort of device they use for perfect alignment, and there are no air bubbles under it either.

I went at got a screen protector installed in a store just over a week ago. They have a sort of device they use for perfect alignment, and there are no air bubbles under it either.

The Spigen screen protectors came with very elaborate plastic alignment tools with the screen protector already fitted to them. 10/10, will buy Spigen again.

iOS 17 standby mode.

The screen on the 15 Pro is on all the time, except for when it’s in Standby mode, at which point it turns off. You know, when it’s supposed to be your alarm clock. Switching always-on to “on” in the standby settings puts it into some intelligent mode that makes it turn on when it feels like it. But it’s still not always on.

It also shows random things when in standby mode and the only way to access settings is when it is in said mode. There’s nothing in system settings. I just want it to show clock and weather all the time, i don’t care about the other screens it shows randomly.

Seriously, Apple?

I haven't used Standby a whole lot yet, but will do once the newly-ordered 15 Pro (work phone upgrade) arrives in a couple weeks. Planning to get a MagSafe charger/stand for bedside.

When it's in Standby, you can customize the widgets it's showing, and remove all the ones you don't want. I agree though that it's not a great solution usability-wise, would be neater to have access to those settings straight from Settings -> Standby in "normal" use mode.

In other topics, cases. I've been using an ultrathin Pitaka case on my 13 Pro for close to two years now, and am extremely happy with it. Only 0.5mm thin on the sides, 8g light, but still enough coverage on all edges and a slight lip above the screen corners, just enough so that it protected the phone in every fall it endured so far. And since I had a particularly nasty one of those just a couple days ago, that made me go and order a case in advance for the 15 Pro as well. Sadly, Pitaka don't offer their ultrathin "Air" cases anymore - the thinnest now is their "MagEZ Case 4" at 0.95mm / 19g. But it now has MagSafe magnets built-in, so that's a good thing I guess.

719sYwpwDSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Any good experiences with other really thin cases?

iOS 17 standby mode.
I turned off the always-on display within a day, it did stay on all the time when I had my phone on the MagSafe charger but would otherwise turn off. It was pointless to me.

Surely having devices power themselves on in the box is a fire risk too?

Surely having devices power themselves on in the box is a fire risk too?
Not significantly more than they already are just being in the box. They can't generate enough heat to torch anything in the box even at full clip and they'll throttle themselves down long before self-immolating. That leaves the battery itself and those have been behaving since the gen2 iPod Nano fire issues IIRC

I got a trial version of Duolingo XP Professional Edition or whatever the paid version is called. Forgot all about it and ignored the notifications I've probably gotten. This is what happens when your app sends 42 notifications and e-mails every day about your progress and missed daily goals etc etc. Your brain switches to ignore mode. Anyway, I most certainly noticed it when Apple suddenly sent the invoice for 12 months of Duolingo Premium, about €100.

This is when I learned it's possible to get a refund even for subscriptions. I never opened Duolingo after I got charged (in case they check if I used the subscription or not), clicked the link in the fine print in the bottom of the e-mail and selected "I forgot to cancel" from a drop-down. Took about 36 hours for them to process it.

edit: to clarify, I've had purchases refunded before for various reasons, like apps not doing what it says on the tin etc. Being able to complain and get a refund is Apple's way to not have to offer app trials in the App Store. But I've never tried having a subscription refunded before.

Last edited:
Usually Apple is quite good about sending you notifications and emails _before_ some trial transitions to a recurring payment. Those are sent from the system, too, so you don't ignore them if you muted the app in question. I have a habit of setting up a "cancel" reminder myself whenever I trial anything, but it's definitely a good feature they have.

Usually Apple is quite good about sending you notifications and emails _before_ some trial transitions to a recurring payment. Those are sent from the system, too, so you don't ignore them if you muted the app in question. I have a habit of setting up a "cancel" reminder myself whenever I trial anything, but it's definitely a good feature they have.

My work life is a firehose of phone calls, messages, e-mails and push notifications so i’ve got very little brain left for them in my personal life these days. I’ve probably missed this, likely because i‘ve received 20-something emails and about half a billion push notifications from Duolingo since I registered at the beginning of the month. One of them were important, it seems.

I just got the invoice from Apple for -94,99€ so all is well again.

IMG_3972.jpeg

It's here! And didn't take nearly as long as I expected / was promised.

First impressions after a day... yeah, it's nice. Screen and iOS in general seems smoother than on the 13 Pro, even though there shouldn't be a difference really, both are "Super Retina XDR" with ProMotion. Dynamic island is kinda cool, it's not as big as I thought and really doesn't take up more space than the notch did - and the way it's used for various pop-up things is a neat trick visually, it works well. Always-on will take some getting used to, I keep looking at the phone to see why it turned on. Otherwise, not really much of a difference, similar to what I expected.

The move to USB-C caused me to finally reconsider my default charging, after many years. I've been using the small 5W USB brick with a Lightning cable since my first iPhone, which was the 6S. The cable had some repairs in the meantime, but it's the same setup still :) However, since I now need to replace it, I had a thought: why not go for MagSafe? Somehow I never really considered it so far, despite having had a compatible phone for two years. But now that I thought of it, it'd probably be quite nice to just plop the phone on and off a stand on the bedside table, instead of fiddling with a cable every time. Plus there's always-on Standby to maybe use as well now. So I looked around and ordered an Anker 313 set (imho a steal for 24€, complete with a tiny 20W PD brick).

1698089325390.png

Gonna print a simple stand for it and see how that goes. In the meantime, I have enough PD chargers / cables around to keep the thing charged day to day.

The refresh rate or at least the frate rate was definitely significantly higher than on my 12 Pro Max, immediately noticeable. We're clearly both still captivated by a nice metallic blue because I have the same colour. :p

I'm pleased to say that all of the wireless charging/MagSafe stuff has worked just as well as it did with the previous phone.