iPhone / iOS Thread

As soon as humanly possible I'm running into the arms of iOS.

I'm done with this text message missing, poor signal having, battery sucking piece of shit.

Besides the battery life, could you see your android being a work tool? For me iOS is the gold standard of work phones while android is the leisure play thing.

It highly depends on what your work is, a friend got an Android phone at work and loves it. There a ton of different apps for sys admin/IT type stuff.

What about just strictly as a calling, texting, email, camera phone? I know android phones vary widely but, what about the ones that you guys use?

You really can't beat iOS for intuitiveness and ease of teaching to old people who aren't really good with technology (and they have very little to fuck up by screwing around in menus). If you've got to give your entire office a phone, with people of all ages getting one, then it'll probably be an iPhone because of that.

As soon as humanly possible I'm running into the arms of iOS.

I'm done with this text message missing, poor signal having, battery sucking piece of shit.

I went a full day without getting emails and text messages until I rebooted it. It's done this twice to me in the last moon th. When I'm working in Oregon, I'm constantly running on zero to 1 bar of service. My battery is OK, though, but when it hits about 30%, it absolutely dives.

The straw that broke the camel's back: I missed my Dad's fathers day dinner because this fucking POS failed to register a default SMS app...despite me selecting it in settings.

My step mom apparently texted me at 11 about it...never got it...it was like if was in limbo between Hangouts (the default app on the Nexus 5) that inevetibly blows at chronological listing messages by contact once you have a few hundred SMS messages in it and Google Messenger (a sms only app).

A friend texted me in Hangouts ...weird cause he has a iPhone...sure enough, its a SMS in hangouts.

I opened Messenger and was asked about whether to make it the default...I am 99% sure I did this yesterday as I did it through system settings. I accept and his message moves to Messenger.

I checked and even rebooted the phone.

I didn't get shit from her. And we were just texting yesterday, I visited the house for my birthday and we all discussed fathers day plans with the idea that we'd take dad out to dinner. She was able to text others too today, my other brother asking him if he was planning on heading to dinner, if he wanted to meet halfway, etc.

Is it possible that her iPhone had a problem or she was trying to snub me or something? I guess, but highly doubt it, it was intended to be a gift all of us chipped in for anyway so they wouldn't have the burden of the cost of a dinner out for him. Plus she's not really a annoying dick anymore, hasn't been for quite some time really.

Edit: how did my coworker text me if it was in limbo...now I'm confused (unless im confusing the sequence in which i hit the default) and wonder if she was being a dick and snubbing me...or if her phone was having issues. :hmm:

Edit 2: I've asked to see a screenshot of the message under the guise of checking for errors. We shall see how this goes...as she is sleeping now.

Edit 3: she was still awake so I asked about seeing or getting a pic of the message she says she ended up clearing her messages after getting told she'd need more icloud storage earlier that day. She only has a few people's messages left.

She's a iPhone noob and actually hates her iPhone so it is plausible that she doesn't realize the non logic in deleting SMS for that error.

My brother, my other brother and his BF were at the dinner IIRC...so I don't get it. I guess I should ask one of them if they went to be sure but I'm certain they did because one of them then took my dad bowling...

She's been nothing but nice to me but if I do find out I was snubbed it's fucking on. I did nothing to deserve being snubbed, fuck that shit.

Edit 4: ya know what, I am going to assume she didn't do anything - we were just talking for 45+ minutes yesterday one on one...no way she'd do this.

Besides the battery life, could you see your android being a work tool? For me iOS is the gold standard of work phones while android is the leisure play thing.
I use my Android phone as a work phone each day. Prizrak is right, there's plenty of tools available that make it handy to have for IT folks.

But even our network admin manages to do just fine with iOS. If he can do fine with it, I certainly don't need Android.
It highly depends on what your work is, a friend got an Android phone at work and loves it. There a ton of different apps for sys admin/IT type stuff.
This is indeed true. I like the OS and phone most of the time but there's little shit like what happened today that pisses me off.
What about just strictly as a calling, texting, email, camera phone? I know android phones vary widely but, what about the ones that you guys use?
Its fine for that and works well. Some of my issues are phone specific (signal strength, smallish battery) but the straw that broke the camel's back today was OS specific.

If you love to tinker, the world is your oyster with Android. I used to be a tinkerer with Windows Mobile and earlier versions of Android.

These days though, I need a phone that works.

One that I don't need to put on the goddamn battery saver at 70% only to still struggle to make it through a day- One that I don't need to root and attempt to "Greenify" apps to save power.

One that has great reception so I can actually get shit on time.

One who's software isn't a constant work in fucking process: MMS randomly stopped working for like one contact for a few weeks. What fixed it? Factory resetting the phone yesterday. You gotta be shitting me...

One that doesn't get random fucking errors AFTER resetting the fucking phone - I had a "can't load widget" bar on my recent apps screen...I had to boot into safe mode once to clear it.

Trivial for me, sure, but its another "unpolished" example that irritates.
You really can't beat iOS for intuitiveness and ease of teaching to old people who aren't really good with technology (and they have very little to fuck up by screwing around in menus). If you've got to give your entire office a phone, with people of all ages getting one, then it'll probably be an iPhone because of that.
We are deploying and standardizing on iPhone 6 at work (for admin and maintenance people who get work phones) for this very reason.

Before we had a mix of Android and flip phones: Casio sold a rugged line with PTT capability that we used...we are moving to a new radio system that can reach our off campus schools, making PTT unnecessary.

Last edited:
If you love to tinker, the world is your oyster with Android. I used to be a tinkerer with Windows Mobile and earlier versions of Android.

These days though, I need a phone that works.

And this right here keeps being what Android vs iOS comes down to. Android is great if you want to play with it and root it and modify absolutely everything to be personalized just for you. However, if you want to use it as a phone, you've got problems.

If you want your phone to actually do things like "make and receive phone calls reliably" - Android is not for you.

Prior commentary here: https://forums.finalgear.com/technology/random-thoughts-tech-edition-38984/page-559/#post2168772

We spent over $100,000 at a former client trying to 'prove' that Android or WinPhone was better at being a phone than iOS and failed to do so. I have seen nothing since then to make me think the situation has changed.

Last edited:
Of course, for me it's exactly the other way around. I've had to reset my Android phone once or twice in the 2 years Ive owned it, and yeah it now struggles to go more than a day on a charge but other than that, no real issues.
I live in a 'one bar of reception' zone too, and still get calls and texts just fine...

My wife has a nearly identical phone as mine (slightly bigger screen but identical hardware) and has dropped calls, lost texts, and recently gets some texts twice or thrice with a couple of hours inbetween...does not compute :dunno:

I've yet to use an iPhone so I can't say anything about reception and stuff but I guess your problems are carrier related and not phone related. Of course we can get any phone combined with any carrier, you may not have that option

Last edited:
That's only true if you actually want to tinker with Android, leave it alone (what 99% of Android users do) and it'll work as reliably as an iPhone.

If a phone happens to fall into battery saver mode while in a active navigation session, which of the following is acceptable behavior:

A: dimming the screen between turns

B: completely turning off GPS with the same, vague, "GPS signal lost" voice alert that happens when GPS is momentarily lost due to the surrounding environment and will be regained within moments.

If you guessed B, you obviously work for Google and deserve a throat punch.

My return trip from walmart should have taken 15 minutes but ended up taking 45 minutes because the fucking GPS radio got turned off.

It was only due to a glance at the still static map display ("fuck... It has been a while and that's not moving is it....) and the realization that I was so far off course that I was on the Susquehanna River shore (hey I know where the Susquehanna yacht club is now!) that I realized what happened.

Plugged it in and it kicked out of battery saver and found my location again.

Fuck I can't wait to say bye to this thing...
Of course, for me it's exactly the other way around. I've had to reset my Android phone once or twice in the 2 years Ive owned it, and yeah it now struggles to go more than a day on a charge but other than that, no real issues.
I live in a 'one bar of reception' zone too, and still get calls and texts just fine...

My wife has a nearly identical phone as mine (slightly bigger screen but identical hardware) and has dropped calls, lost texts, and recently gets some texts twice or thrice with a couple of hours inbetween...does not compute :dunno:

I've yet to use an iPhone so I can't say anything about reception and stuff but I guess your problems are carrier related and not phone related. Of course we can get any phone combined with any carrier, you may not have that option
How come others on the network seem to do OK signal wise. I'm not just talking about those inaccurate "bars" but actual numerical signal values visible in Settings...
That's only true if you actually want to tinker with Android, leave it alone (what 99% of Android users do) and it'll work as reliably as an iPhone.
Before yesterday this phone was not even bootloader unlocked, let alone rooted. It was 100% stock system software. The updates were done via Google sanctioned OTA, not manually flashed.

I still had MMS suddenly refusing to download issues from one contact.

I still have mediocre signal strength compared to other phones on the same network...despite getting a replacement phone.

I've used Android phones before without issue - a lot of these issues (save for the possible missing text message from today and the MMS issue) are seemingly nexus 5 specific.

There's also the problem of newer apps crippling "older" Android devices. Every time I bring the iPhone up in day to day performance everyone tells that "it's easy for Apple since they make a few phones". And yet a dual core 1 gig of RAM iPhone can destroy an Android with eight cores and 4 gigs of RAM. I'm sorry but at a point all the tinkering gets turned into headaches.

Casio sold a rugged line with PTT capability that we used
G'zone? I wanted one so bad before the whole smart phone thing happened, but it was too expensive for me at the time :(

G'zone? I wanted one so bad before the whole smart phone thing happened, but it was too expensive for me at the time :(
Yup. The smartphones were Casio Commando's *snicker*

My sister's iPhone has a habit of randomly deleting all of her contacts. You can't win.

If a phone happens to fall into battery saver mode while in a active navigation session, which of the following is acceptable behavior:

A: dimming the screen between turns

B: completely turning off GPS with the same, vague, "GPS signal lost" voice alert that happens when GPS is momentarily lost due to the surrounding environment and will be regained within moments.

If you guessed B, you obviously work for Google and deserve a throat punch.

That is pretty poor, I'll admit, but if you bought a proper 2amp car charger like I've suggested in the past, you wouldn't have this problem :p ;-)

"There?s still 1GB of RAM onboard, however, which still feels like a huge constraint every time content needs to be completely refreshed on a single app or Safari tab switch."

Is this a problem for most people? I hated having to let tabs redraw and apps launch from hibernation when I was on Android phones with 1 GB of RAM or less...

Not gonna lie, I really REALLY don't want to go back to that...

Wouldn't know, I manage with half a gig on my phone just fine ;). I know, I'm weird and speshul