iPhone / iOS Thread

Isn't that what iCloud is for ?

I just use dropbox. :dunno:

iCloud will work too once Apple ships the new replacement for iPhoto on OS X. I'm currently on the public beta of iCloud Photo Library (it can be enabled in settings on iOS if you want) and iPhoto doesn't support that, so my photos aren't syncing to my computers for the time being. Whenever OS X 10.10.3 ships with the Photos app, I'll be up to date again. As for now they're safely stored in iCloud and available on my iOS devices.

And if I hadn't jumped on the iCloud Photo Library beta, everything would still work normally using the old Photo Stream service.

The difference between Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Library is, by the way, that Photo Stream maintains, well, a "stream" of the last 1000 photos taken or imported on all your devices and makes them available everywhere. The 1000 photo limit doesn't count against your storage plan. If you take a new photo (or import from your camera on a mac) the oldest photo in the list of 1000 disappears.

iCloud Photo Library on the other hand simply stores everything in a huge library that's available everywhere (once the mac app ships), but you need to pay for storage. Your computers have local copies as well, but on iOS devices they're pulled down on the fly as you scroll back through the library. You can have 500 gigs of photos stored on there, they'll still be easily accessible on your 16GB iPhone.

Last edited:
So...I've finally seriously started using my work provided iPad Mini. Some thoughts:

I have always liked the look of the Mini..its pretty comfy to hold and type on.

I wish I could get my fucking Exchange working....but there is a setting on my Exchange account that is wrong and our sys admin is so swamped that he forgets to fix it: I have to use clunky 3rd party apps on mobile devices that work around the bad setting. I use CloudMagic on the iPad but it doesn't have my calendar. Outlook/accompli doesn't work at all.

It seems to be kinda sluggish. I am not sure what kind of iPad Mini it is but it does have a lightning connector. It doesn't feel as slick and responsive as I'd have expected it to...I dunno.

Overall I like it...I feel like I need to look for a case for it though.

No, I think he means it's iCloud locked. If he reset the devices there's nothing he can do. iCloud security is tighter than ever, always be cautios with anything running iOS 6 and up, do a factory reset in front of the seller and ask him to de-register his device. Only way to get an iCloud lock removed is to get all your paperwork in order(which I doubt he has) and go to an Apple Store and they'll do it.

I guess this is the screen?

TS4515_01-icloud-activate-iphone-001-en.png

That would be the one. When I asked her about a log in she said the guy gave her the ID and password but it locked it up (the Apple account was locked). She called Apple and they told her no one has reported it as stolen. I'm starting to think this thing is a paperweight now.

It seems to be kinda sluggish. I am not sure what kind of iPad Mini it is but it does have a lightning connector. It doesn't feel as slick and responsive as I'd have expected it to...I dunno.

Overall I like it...I feel like I need to look for a case for it though.

There are three different ones: first generation which is low-res and was pretty underpowered even when new. The second generation was high-res had the same internals as the first iPad Air. The current (third) generation has exactly the same performance as before, but adds the fingerprint sensor.

As for cases, I use the apple one. Expensive but nice.

iCloud will work too once Apple ships the new replacement for iPhoto on OS X. I'm currently on the public beta of iCloud Photo Library (it can be enabled in settings on iOS if you want) and iPhoto doesn't support that, so my photos aren't syncing to my computers for the time being. Whenever OS X 10.10.3 ships with the Photos app, I'll be up to date again. As for now they're safely stored in iCloud and available on my iOS devices.

I'm running the 10.1.3 beta with the Photos app, it's pretty neat! It swallowed my ~140GB of photos with no problem and uploaded it all on my iCloud Photo Library.

One drawback I've seen so far is that the iOS photo app doesn't really like hugh libraries, it takes much more time to load photo browsers on third party apps than before on my iPhone 5 ^^'

Anyone have any suggestions on how to manage two different Instagram accounts on the same iPhone?

The main problem here is remembering passwords because I like my passwords random and complicated, and you can't expect a megacorp app like Instagram to support the 1password plugin. A third party client would be one idea but apparently you can't post pictures via the external API.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to manage two different Instagram accounts on the same iPhone?

The main problem here is remembering passwords because I like my passwords random and complicated, and you can't expect a megacorp app like Instagram to support the 1password plugin. A third party client would be one idea but apparently you can't post pictures via the external API.

I just don't. I tried before and ended up with potentially embarrassing results.

Twitter manages to do it well although I still end up triple checking my posts haha.

Can someone explain the way Safari handles sharing? On this page, when I hit the share button, I have options to share to facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc...but then I go to an Imgur image (not the page on imgur but the actual image's URL), and hit the share button, I only have two options: Mail and Message...no Facebook.

Thoughts?

I've also had lots of issues with my "cursor" seemingly getting "lost". It is shown in places it actually isn't, or it's not shown at all, and I have to close and reopen Safari and sometimes re type my post, if I can't get the "select all" function to cooperate.

looks cool accessory.

It has never crossed my mind to spend that kind of money on a wrist watch. Especially since the one I actually want would end up costing around 1000 euros.
Also, I'm fully aware that there are people that regularly spend five figures on watches, but this is a piece of technology that will be obsolete in a year.

I still want one though. Maybe I'll get a Pebble. We'll see.

Not going to get the first Watch, but I may get one a generation or two down the road. Seems to me there's still a lot of issues that will solve themselves with time and better tech.

I'd really like a pebble but can't imagine myself using it for longer than a while. As soon as the novelty wears off I'd probably use it as a normal watch... So what's the point?

A friend of mine got to try a pebble and it didn't take long for him to get hooked. He apparently didn't get it at first either.

I guess that another reason it's so foreign to me to spend money on watches is that I haven't actually bought a watch with my own money ever. I had a couple of them as a kid. The last one I got was a birthday gift at around age 15, which was around the same time as I got a cell phone that had a clock in it. I hardly ever wore that watch.

I'd really like a pebble but can't imagine myself using it for longer than a while. As soon as the novelty wears off I'd probably use it as a normal watch... So what's the point?

It's not something that you need, but it's something you really get used to. Like being able to silence your phone when listening to music so you don't hear the notification every time someone sends you a message, because you can feel the vibration on your wrist. Being able to skip ads in a podcast without removing the phone from your pocket is a good one too. And a last one I discovered recently, being able to not wake up a whole campsite with an alarm because it can wake you up by vibrating on your wrist.

I want an Apple Watch since I've tried one, but my Pebble really satisfies me at the moment. Not to mention that I wouldn't be sad if the pebble were to break as it's relatively inexpensive, and the battery life is just so much better.

Thanks apple for adding another app I won't use. An iWatch app, really? It got onto my phone with the latest software update that ultimately crapped in the middle of installation. I came back to my laptop saying the update failed. Great... 2 hours later we're finally back to normal and a the iWatch app is now on my phone...

And a last one I discovered recently, being able to not wake up a whole campsite with an alarm because it can wake you up by vibrating on your wrist..

True, but most smartwatches do that for quite a lot less than what Apple wants you to pay.
Also, an alarm clock at full blast rarely wakes me at all. So a little vibrating watch won't work either I guess
Also 2 : who sleeps with their wristwatch on?

I was mostly talking about my experience with the Pebble on that one, the Apple Watch needs charging at night so it's not exactly great for that purpose.

I was skeptical about getting woken up via vibration, but the Pebble's vibration is so strong it snaps you out of sleep instantly.

Love the Watch, dunno exactly why. On one hand the little physical details speak to the engineer in me, on the other hand it just works great. Too bad it was the 38mm one with the small strap and I couldn't close it.