iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations

Looks like with a 2700 rating that I've been promoted to Div 1. yay...

I don't think the division changes have hit yet so that might be temporary.

IMO div 1 has far too much of a skill spread. I'm not even sure if I belong in there, though I don't do too many SoF races with all the big names in them so I'm not really sure.

EDIT: Bye bye, baby.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoRfslG_RmM[/youtube]

God that was broken.

Last edited:
I got to say. I like the ford GT. But I am finding the tyre very difficult to work. The outlap is amazing. It grips awesomely. But then first hot lap, it just gets a bit slippy. Battling the front with understeer, and then suddenly the back snaps loose. If you catch the slide, you can hold some awesome slides without it firing you back in the other direction. I like it!

I got to say. I like the ford GT. But I am finding the tyre very difficult to work. The outlap is amazing. It grips awesomely. But then first hot lap, it just gets a bit slippy. Battling the front with understeer, and then suddenly the back snaps loose. If you catch the slide, you can hold some awesome slides without it firing you back in the other direction. I like it!

May need to back-off on the outlaps more.

Damn website is going and stopping all the time. It's like a damned Gp3 race :p

I've been out of iRacing for a while (12 months or so), mainly because I didn't have enough time to enjoy a $12/month subscription but this seems like a perfect time to give it a go again! On the website there is a deal, 3 months for the price of 1... But I suppose that would only be for new accounts?

^ I'm surprised they haven't emailed you about an offer like that for renewal. I've twice not renewed and not long after they offered me the 3 month deal for signing back up.

I'm liking the New Tyre Model. Aswell as the HPD, pretty nice to drive.

I've also posted something in the iRacing Group that may be of intrest to some of us.

There are definitely still big problems with the tire model. There is still very little communication from the FFB regarding slides. The limit is much more defined physically, but the feedback hasn't caught up yet. It's slightly sharper feeling, but ultimately still fails at providing information. If you light up the tires in 1st gear in the ARX, literally nothing happens with the steering, and you have no information on which to act in order to save the thing. I really don't like that, but maybe the real car does that, which I find hard to believe but I admit it's possible.

The Skip Barber is also much too sharp on the rebound from a slide. I have never spun a Skip Barber car in real life (unless you count one half-spin in turn 2 at Laguna), but I'm spinning the iRacing version every 5 laps or so. I can hang the ass out and make the real one dance around a tight autocross, but I'll be damned if I can hold a 1st gear drift in the iRacing one. But at least it does powerslide now.

Overall a big improvement. But still needs work. LFS and NetKar Pro are still better, only a lot more marginally now.

What I do like:

Braking is amazing now. You actually have to pay attention to left/right load. Try braking hard for T2 at Laguna.
Some of the things the Skippy does is downright eerie in how realistic it is. You can no longer add more power in order to save a slide - that will just make you spin faster. The entry to Turn 5 at Laguna is stupid in how realistically sensitive it is. Exactly like the real thing. There is also more understeer on corner exits and high speed corners, which I don't particularly like, but it is very realistic because the real one does the same shit.

EDIT:

I've just done a bit of lapping in the Ford GT and I'm wondering why it feels identical to the Star Mazda. The steering rack feels the same, the tires feel just as sharp, if not sharper, and it does the same god damn twitching shit. It just feels heavier and it has more power. Video to follow.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLfCdfkvgYs[/youtube]

Weird. Real cars do that on occasion, but nowhere near that fast. That's a lot like the Star Mazda.

Last edited:
May need to back-off on the outlaps more.

I get that, but doesn't it seem odd that your maximum grip is when you have cold tires?

The twitchy thing I quite like. I've been able to hold some good slides if the back end goes a bit crazy. As long as you react quick enough anything is catchable. But if it goes past a certain point, then your shit outta luck.

I think it's going to be interesting in races to see how far the tires can go.

Also, Suzuka is choppy for me. Even at 90fps. It's got something funky going on.

Nice line through turn 3, man :D

Just kissing it a little. :p

I find it hilarious, now that we have good lockup and braking behavior, that people are now complaining on the iR forums that they can't make the corners when they lock up. I mean, duh.

It just so happens that these people are karters. Which is golden.

Well I've had 8 minutes of practice at Charlotte in the Street Stock.. Lets do a race :)

EDIT: Started 19th, finished 6th. Never passed a car the entire time in a racing situation. All accident avoidance.

Last edited:
My colours for the Ford GT.

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lo/loz/2011/07/30/iRacingSim_2011-07-30_06-18-39-61_copy.jpg​

This is one of only 5 cars that I use with more than one solid colou (Red).

I wish I could drive the damn thing. Brakes lock too much, so I can't stop. Adjust brake bias. Now it spins, so I'm still in the dirt. Then it understeers like a truck. Then I spin out. No matter what, I end up in the wall or the dirt. I was really looking forward to this car, but its just horrible for me. I swear I'm just going to stuck in the rookie cars the rest of my life.

I wish I could drive the damn thing. Brakes lock too much, so I can't stop. Adjust brake bias. Now it spins, so I'm still in the dirt. Then it understeers like a truck. Then I spin out. No matter what, I end up in the wall or the dirt. I was really looking forward to this car, but its just horrible for me. I swear I'm just going to stuck in the rookie cars the rest of my life.
It corners a hell of a lot slower than you think it will, so start braking considerably earlier and be more gentle with your inputs. If you just ease it up a little then, apart from the issues madcat has detailed, you'll find it quite a nice car to drive.

Do either of you feel a twitching in the FFB of the wheel? When I first load up, the wheel will jump back and forth. Going down a straight, the wheel will be fine, then it will give me a small oscillation. Then it will be fine, then I get a huge oscillation. No steering inputs and no break or throttle inputs. Its just weird.

I tend to think it might be the splitter hitting the road, but something tells me its more computer model based.

With my wheel, sometimes it wobbles like nothing i've seen before when stationary in the pits.

Another thing with it is that it's never centered. I'm usually driving down a straight with it 5 degreesish to the left. Usually I have to try jerk it right to get it centered. The Wheen is a Fanatec GT3 V1.