iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations

Its possible a CG shift from fuel draining and the car becoming lighter meant i was too wussy to push the car as it became more twitchy? I was something like 3 seconds a lap slower than i was 12 laps beforehand.

Wait, you didn't answer, are we talking about the Skippy?

The Skippy's fuel tank is in the middle. The driver pretty much sits on it. So it shouldn't affect the balance too much as it drains. But if the tires are getting burned off, it could compound the problem a bit.

Last edited:
Yes, skippy. I had the front end lowered "3 clicks" and a stiffer rear sway, but the tire screen kept indiciating 100% all the way through the race, but the rear tires were crazy hot toward the end of the race and it kept losing the rear end even under light braking. Backing off and taking it easy on the tires either wasnt executed properly, or had no effect.

Its one of the cars with the new tire model.

It's easier to spin up the inside rear tire now. How much inside wheelspin are you getting on the power? That could be the source of it. You can basically max the revs without oversteering if you're precise enough.

I'd think so but i dont think its adjustable, and this is a problem that developed late in a race as the tires heated up.

Brake bias is adjustable in the Skippy, it's up at the top of the garage page. I use 60-61% front, but it's really personal preference.

If you are spinning up the inside tire when exiting corners that would cause them to heat up and potentially lose grip.

60-61? That seems really high. I've always used 52-55 depending on track and feel on the day. Maybe I'm weird...

I'm really loving racing the Mustang. The racing has always been very good in the 3 races that I've done so far. Close and courteous, but tough. For the most part, everyone gets through the first couple of turns fine. Yeah there is some contact, but its not been as bad as any of the rookie series. I thought I would miss the SRFs, but the Mustang is just so much fun. It might also help that I'm slow playing it in that I'm not caring about my iRating or my SR very much. I just want racecraft experience and fun.

Like this last race at Wakins Glen (boot). I was just a touch faster than the guy ahead of me. Mostly enough to close it, but I didn't think I could get around him with sheer speed. My tactic: distraction and psychology. I'd get within 0.3 or 0.4s, not close enough for a pass unless I sent one down the inside, Gran Turismo style (which is just a horrid tactic). I'd pull out (giggity) just so he saw me in his mirrors and make him think I was gonna pass. After two or three times doing that, he blew the exit of the Bus Stop getting a course cutting penalty. After that it was just stay far enough ahead that he wasn't a threat. That and I don't focus on the mirrors much when I race so I don't fall prey to the tactic I just mentioned :)

Loving it.

I'm really loving racing the Mustang. The racing has always been very good in the 3 races that I've done so far. Close and courteous, but tough. For the most part, everyone gets through the first couple of turns fine. Yeah there is some contact, but its not been as bad as any of the rookie series. I thought I would miss the SRFs, but the Mustang is just so much fun. It might also help that I'm slow playing it in that I'm not caring about my iRating or my SR very much. I just want racecraft experience and fun.

Like this last race at Wakins Glen (boot). I was just a touch faster than the guy ahead of me. Mostly enough to close it, but I didn't think I could get around him with sheer speed. My tactic: distraction and psychology. I'd get within 0.3 or 0.4s, not close enough for a pass unless I sent one down the inside, Gran Turismo style (which is just a horrid tactic). I'd pull out (giggity) just so he saw me in his mirrors and make him think I was gonna pass. After two or three times doing that, he blew the exit of the Bus Stop getting a course cutting penalty. After that it was just stay far enough ahead that he wasn't a threat. That and I don't focus on the mirrors much when I race so I don't fall prey to the tactic I just mentioned :)

Loving it.

I was doing this in a FMazda race last week (Road America), so i would always get the draft and then pull some time back, and give a few fakies. Problem is, He wouldn't flinch. Last lap was side-by-side most of the way around, with no contact! Best racing i've had so far

Best way to unhinge a guy is to get right on his bumper and stay there. Just rub the brake on the straights and stay within about a foot of his rear. He'll be so busy wondering when you're going to pull out and pass him he won't even realize you're along side until you've taken the corner. And if he pulls to the inside to play defensive, it doesn't matter. That's just him basically saying you're all he's thinking about. I love that shit.

Worst mistake you can make in that situation is to pull out early in an attempt to get around him ASAP. That will just make him pump himself up to late-brake you in the next zone, and he'll be planning on crossing you over. Better to sit on his bumper and pop out when you're ready to outbrake him.

if anyone's interested, I did a little write-up on the blog with some of Laguna Seca's nuances. It will apply to iRacing of course due to the laser scanning.

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca track walk.

Last edited:
I'm a bit rubbish at racing. Just finished a race at Watkins with the HPD. Started 5th went to 6th and stayed there till I retired on lap 17. I can be a steady but cautious driver, but I would also like to be faster. Unfortunatly i'm unsure how I can be faster :(

Last edited:
Post a replay. We can help. Although I'm not terribly fast in the HPD yet. Seat time really is all it takes. I remember in the DP when I first started, was maybe 8-10 seconds of WR pace. Now I'm generally under 2. Some places less than a second. I don't know how to find that extra second that they all can though.

Post a replay. We can help. Although I'm not terribly fast in the HPD yet. Seat time really is all it takes. I remember in the DP when I first started, was maybe 8-10 seconds of WR pace. Now I'm generally under 2. Some places less than a second. I don't know how to find that extra second that they all can though.

I'll save a race replay next time I race. Road America is the next track in the ALMS schedule, and i'm not too fast there.

The HPD to me is good everywhere except at very low speed. The last race i did at Watkins Long, the car was getting loose in the corner that joins the loop with the Cup track near the end. Even span there once.