iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations

You're overdriving the front end plus you're being greedy with the throttle. Be more gradual with the throttle, especially in slow speed corners. In high DF cars like this, and the F1, it can be surprising how late you're actually supposed to pick up the throttle. To keep from overdriving the front end so much, apex a bit later and slow a tiny bit more. You're getting off the brake a bit too soon, and you're not braking quite hard enough when the downforce is helping you.

Here's a 1:31.145 lap in the fixed setup for reference:

http://www.mediafire.com/?e0ekbrd2qbrv87t

As for specifics,

In turn 1 you look really good.

On the uphill, try to follow the final apex curb a little longer than you currently are. Distance is everything through there with the HPD.

In carousel, brake a bit harder - you just carried a bit too much speed.

In the laces of the boot, brake a little harder initially and bleed out of the pressure as you slow until you meet up with the brake pressure you used in the replay for the whole thing. Hold that trail brake a fraction longer. You can really see how the front end was squirming because it didn't quite get enough weight put on it initially. That's what caused you to back out of the throttle on the exit. That fraction more trail brake would put you at a slightly higher angle at the apex and make the exit effortless.

In the toe, your brake pressure looks okay, but you barely breathed on the brake as you entered. It's a very heavy trail braking corner. You have banking so really load that front end.

Same thing for the heel, only it's not as heavy of a trail brake, but it's still significant.

In turn 9 you felt the car hook up and backed out. You want that hooky feeling coming off it. Just be gentler with the throttle and it won't bite.

Turn 10, you lifted after you turned in. Be preemptive, and lift before you turn. Once you get it dialed in, then you can really start blending things together and lift while beginning to turn.

Turn 11 was just too early on the throttle. That pickup point is probably fine, as long as you hold maintenance throttle for a bit longer (don't accelerate).

What kind of things have you done to the setup?

Last edited:
I thought I'd join in with the replays. Here is a 1.29.6 lap. Turn 1 was all bad and cost me 3 tenths. The rest of it was pretty good. Optimal is 1.29.2. http://www.mediafire.com/?m5v2jwe268zhei6

I don't think I brake hard enough around here, but I'm just not confident with the HPD's brakes. It feels hard to be consistent and to not lock up. Turn 10 you should really try and take flat. Its easy as long as you take the correct line. Use the camber of the road to good effect!

I just tried to race in a fixed setup ALMS race, started at the back (No qualy0. I was taken out at the start, and i'd like an opinion on if this is protestable or not.

Replay: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FB6ELF8T

In my opinion. He knew I was there, my car was atleast halfway to his car. He had a car slow down infront of him, but he could have braked and been a bit safer in pulling out rather than just cutting me off.

Last edited:
There's always things both drivers could've done to avoid an incident. He saw the car brake early in front of him and he reacted. Racing incident. Definitely not protestable.

Ah.. Bristol. My favourite oval track by far. Haven't tried with NTM though so could be interesting. That said, I do generally suck at ovals. But Bristol is just exciting to drive.

I'm never any good at ovals, even Talladega. I'm soo slow, especially at Talladega where some people can be over a second faster somehow while going in what is basically a straight line?

I'm slow at Bristol too, but I can keep the car on the track and not hit the walls. Tracks i stuggle most are the 1.5 Mile ovals like Atlanta and Charlotte.

Bristol is great with the NTM, fantastic grip allows for early power out of the corner.

Here's a few screen of my Bristol Race

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lo/loz/2011/08/17/iRacingSim_2011-08-16_05-21-04-23_copy.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lo/loz/2011/08/17/iRacingSim_2011-08-16_05-23-46-49_copy.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lo/loz/2011/08/17/iRacingSim_2011-08-16_05-27-54-40_copy.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lo/loz/2011/08/17/iRacingSim_2011-08-16_05-29-26-77_copy.jpg​

I really want to get into oval racing, especially after watching Nascar races on TV. I just can't stand the really short tracks that you get in the Late Model series. They are just awful. Charlotte and larger are what I'm all about. I think I can just do 4 time trials and get my MPR done. I have a 3.0+ SR at D, so I would get promoted automatically at the end of the season. I just wonder if I would be any good. Only one way to find out. :)

Good shots Loz :)

Allways worth a try. We'll have to try a few oline practices sometime.

I didn't think I would be any good at Oval racing being from a place with no NASCAR following. But i'm nearly not half bad, I do enjoy racing in it more than watching though.

I quite like the idea of trying some oval stuff above the Street Stock. But I'm not sure if I wanna pay for it.

If you just wanna test, I suggest just getting the Late Model. it runs all the free ovals and is by far one of the most popular and community supported cars going.

Here's an interesting update about what will be in iRacing in the furture.

Tony Gardener said:
I hope everyone is enjoying their summer and having fun driving/racing. Now that another build is behind us I thought I would let everyone know what our talented technical staff is working on currently. This is NOT a list of what will be in the next major quarterly build (October) but rather what is in the works at the moment. On the other hand some of it could and will be released before the next major build. Also remember that software development is not always a perfect fit of priority that one might ideally want. It is also about matching skill sets, considering size of projects, balance of short and long term projects and also about laying foundations for things to come.

Here we go:

Priority: New Tire Model improvements to overall model - improvements to specific cars already released - working to get NTM on more cars

Specific work on Ford GT outside of New Tire Model (and NTM). We just received much better data on car so one of our engineers is doing a full review and making appropriate adjustments as needed.

Working on tweaks to several other cars outside of tire model for example to aero and damage

Working on new and more setups for cars with NTM

Working on memory/file size for tracks in general. Very nice progress on this front. Should be a nice overall improvement for frame rates and stuttering issues that some people have.

Specific work to Suzuka to compress graphics to help frame rates and stuttering- want to get this out in a build soon

Replay versioning project: This is significant because it has prevented us from graphically improving cars once we release them. The issue was if we added something new to cars, anything, like brake glow which we have done behind the scenes, we could not add to cars because replays with that car would not work. With this project done, essentially the replays will ignore the new things added to the cars after the replay was captured. This will allow us to add a whole bunch of cool things to the cars that our artist and one of our engineers having been dying to do like brake glow, backfire, pit speed limiters, grill tape (graphically), etc and even things like roof flaps on a stock car although something like roof flaps also requires the physics guys to get involved.

A new bug for bump issue at Darlington track (high groove)

Team racing/Endurance racing/Driver Swaps- BIG project. Single Driver teams with spotter, crew chief and all that plus multi-driver teams. Will be for official racing and hosted racing and special events as in up to 24 hour racing capability which also means being able to join races during the race, leave and come back and all that good stuff. Along with the functionality itself, basically lot of reengineering and additional architecture flexibility needs to be made to overall engine. Lot more news to come about this but can pretty much guarantee this will not be in the October build but making progress.

Making good progress on advancements to new sound system plus adding all sorts on new sounds. Really trying to bring the pits alive for example with new pit sounds. Also new environmental sounds like flyovers, crowd noises, etc.

New graphics and animation: Adding war wagons to pits, work on pit boxes, driver animation, planes, birds, etc

Significant shader project under way ? probably see some of it in next build and the build after.

Some forum functionality improvements already completed and bug fixes done. Also fixed some bugs and made some improvements to the text chat system we just released.

Working an adding a new server farm in Holland. Working on a project at the same time which will allow us to turn server farms on and off by three different settings. Hosted only/Hosted and open practice only/Open All

Three tracks currently in active production: Oulton, Kentucky and Twin Ring. Oulton will be finished first of the three.

Seems like every other build we come back to this. Never ending project working on site optimization. For example, continued refinement of local caching and database optimization which will save hundreds of thousands of calls to the database. Always a big priority, frankly almost above anything else at this point to have fast and stable site. Never ending project, not that sexy, but a substantial use of resources.

Making some improvements to recently released tournament racing. Redesign of hosted page for ease of use and usability. (Lot more will be added to it with driver swaps, etc) While on the subject of tournament racing we can see that over 60 tournaments have been started. I hope people are having fun with that.

Bunch of other little tweaks and bug fixes.

This is not a complete list and subject to change and also not to say something does not get finished, goes into QA and new things get started.

Good Racing!
Tony

Source (iRacing Members Only)

New Bird Model. Looks sweet.

I was just in a race with 10 HPDs. 6 retired in turn 1. The guy who caused the wreck retired at the end of lap 1.

Only 3 cars finished the race. I was not one of them.

Still racing skippies, suzuka this week, can you say "high speed crash"? I'll never get to star mazdas (does anyone even play them?)