Irish/Celtic Music suggestions

Jmiller

Car(s)
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5
I messed up and need FinalGear to help bail me out. I have a friend who is leaving for Ireland next week. She had up on her wall some thing about it so I responded saying that she should come over and get some music before she leaves. I made some joke about not having any celtic music but I could find some. Well she got super excited about that and now wants some.

I am looking for suggestions on any good Celtic/Irish type bands. Probably more of a traditional music but am open to other ideas too.

Thanks in advance.

Flogging Molly?

Planxty are/were the traditional Irish music makers. Very well respected and popular from the 1970?s to date; the musician?s musicians, IMO. :)
This may help, vid quality is a bit crap in places.

[youtube=WvoA959GYIA]Planxty Documentary - Part 1[/youtube]​

EDIT1: Enya and Clannard

Last edited:
Celtic Thunder

I don't really know anything about celtic music but their stuff is decent. I believe they do some traditional songs as well as redoing some newer stuff in their own style.

Celtic music I can't do you for, celtic folk metal, I can.

Horslips was a great Irish band, so are The Waterboys.
Although I don't think they're exactly what you're looking for. :lol:

Dropkick Murphys? :lol:

some of their stuff might count...

Black Velvet Band
Fields of Athenry
Auld Triangle
Rocky Road to Dublin
Wild Rover
Captain Kelly's Kitchen
Johnny I Hardly Knew Ya

thats about it....

I HIGHLY suggest: Foggy Dew by The Cheiftans feat. Sin?ad O'Connor

[youtube="13MQFCfCYdQ"]Sinead O'Connor & the Chieftains- The Foggy Dew[/youtube]

The Dubliners also do a great version

[youtube="VjnOp3IBqMI"]Paddy Reilly & The Dubliners - The Foggy Dew[/youtube]

pretty much anything by the Dubliners

Last edited:
I'll let you do the Googlin' but here are some traditional and contemporary Irish groups, the ones in bold are personal favourites but the likes of Christy Moore, Rory Gallagher and Damien Dempsey have a huge following here aswell ...

Christy Moore
The Frames
Rory Gallagher
Thin Lizzy
The Undertones
Cathy Davey
Van Morrisson
The Cranberries
Damien Dempsey
Paddy Casey
Damien Rice
Mundy
Kerbdog
Rodrigo Y Gabriela (Yes they're Mexican but they live in Dublin so that kind of counts)
Snow Patrol
*cough* U2 *cough*