Is it near the End??

"The show is nearer the end than the beginning.."

I want to interpret this statement by Wilman as saying; there has to be a change.
The direction of the show has reached a climax (in what way ever).
And it's time for a new beginning, for a new orientation.

---

It is up to the Top Gear team, to make some good decisions, now.
Top Gear is a media monster, it's not going to disappear.
But the directors of the programme have to find a new approach.
The ratings drop and negative feedback has to be taken into consideration, it can not be ignored anymore.

My personal opinion is; that Top Gear has turned into a Prime-Time-Circus.
And that is not what gave the show it's world wide popularity.

Can we instigate another forum rule - people who start these crap threads get hit with the suspension or ban-hammer?

Indeed, the mods need to be more proactive on this stance.

Yes, Top Gear is ending.

The apocalypse is coming.

Jebus will smite all of us to death. Even Hindus like me, who will magically reincarnate into ducks.

The universe will collapse, we're all boned.

Reasons to be concerned for the TG producers getting ready to end TG on their own:

1. Clarkson's health. The man's aged pretty fast over the last two years, and he's getting more injury prone.
2. James May's breakout. 2009 was a good year for him, and the BBC might regard him as their new go-to science guy.
3. TG Australia. This example has shown the producers that it's going to be *very* difficult to keep the show going with replacement hosts, since the chemistry between the three is so unique.
4. Expense. Inflation means it's going to cost more and more just to maintain the high production values we expect from this show.
5. Archival value. There's now enough completed and unused footage in the can that the BBC can earn some cost-effective royalties off of various DVD versions of all previous series.

Yes, Top Gear is ending.

The apocalypse is coming.

Jebus will smite all of us to death. Even Hindus like me, who will magically reincarnate into ducks.

The universe will collapse, we're all boned.

Ha ha! You forgot to add that there's a whole lot of people here who will demand to say when the apocalypse will come (and why it isn't as good as previous apocalpyses), why Jesus cannot smite anybody unless they give it the OK first, why ducks should be banned because they were better in series 3, and how the collapse of the universe should be take a big break first until it has worked out a fresh approach to present it.

By the way, if TG is so close to the end, maybe they could time it to coincide with the collapse of the universe and roll it into a final show, with lots of ducks and smiting?

My personal opinion is; that Top Gear has turned into a Prime-Time-Circus. And that is not what gave the show it's world wide popularity.

Why don't you just turn it off then and give the show one less viewer? I don't mean that as a "how dare you?" comment either... but if you really dislike like the show so much, just move on. There are still a few hundred million other viewers around the world to enjoy it while you sit in the corner sticking your tongue out.

Last edited:
We're talking about the 10th Doctor...yes?

(watch for threads going sideways, accusations of frivolous off-topicness, snarling, defensiveness etc, etc)

Ha ha! You forgot to add that there's a whole lot of people here who will demand to say when the apocalypse will come (and why it isn't as good as previous apocalpyses), why Jesus cannot smite anybody unless they give it the OK first, why ducks should be banned because they were better in series 3, and how the collapse of the universe should be take a big break first until it has worked out a fresh approach to present it.

By the way, if TG is so close to the end, maybe they could time it to coincide with the collapse of the universe and roll it into a final show, with lots of ducks and smiting?

Surely Jesus will be too busy with his customary cameo in the News to be smiting anyone if the last episode incorporates the apocalypse?

Why don't you just turn it off then and give the show one less viewer? I don't mean that as a "how dare you?" comment either... but if you really dislike like the show so much, just move on. There are still a few hundred million other viewers around the world to enjoy it while you sit in the corner sticking your tongue out.

"If you don't like it", such and such.
The classic case of an ignorant simpletons argument.

No, I have an idea;
the show returns to it's roots that made it big in the first place.
A performance-car-oriented programme for petrol heads and car enthusiasts.

And people like you can turn off the TV, go to the video store, and rent "Transformers".
To get your daily share of flashy, pointless, nothingness.

the thread title said:
Is it near the End??

To quote Clarkson (although, admittedly, he said that in a bit of a different context... :p):
"This is not the end. This is not the beginning. This is not the beginning of the end... it is not even the end of the beginning..." :D

What, you mean a show with a handful of worrying looking blokes standing around a hangar as the presenters watch sci-fi characters attempt hot laps in a Honda Civic to determine who is 'Master of the Universe' while little old ladies learn how to handbrake park?

Or do you mean one of the presenters needs to have a life-threatening accident that raises the profile of the show massively, leads to a huge increase in viewing figures and also necessitates an immediate change in the programme's structure that informs the structure of future seasons?

The biggest rise in audience figures came when the show returned after Hammond's crash, which, because so much silly stuff had been filmed for a series that was then subsequently delayed and truncated, departed majorly from the format of previous series. The current format follows on from that, and the audience figures are only now starting to seriously roll back to where they were before (and if Mr Wilman's maths is correct, iPlayer may mitigate some of that rollback, though I'm not convinced). I remember Andy talking about it somewhere, that they needed to make a show that appealed to their whole audience including the newcomers, and not just the car enthusiasts, and this was the basis of the switch from Top Gear being an 'entertaining car programme' to an 'entertainment programme with cars in it'. He did also recognise that eventually these people, who started watching out of curiosity after hearing all about the little chap who went upside down for weeks on end, would eventually drift away. Now that's happening, it's probably time to give the format a bit of a rethink again. At least some of the team want to get back to doing more 'straight' car based articles, and that suggests to me that the show's ready for a change.

The show has gone in very definite cycles. The first few series were entertaining, but in an endearingly crap way at times. The reviews were good, but the quality of the rest of the show was patchy. The cocking about was always there, but it was done in a very cheap and cheerful way, and a lot of ideas were repeated (e.g. 'fastest faith/political party/sci-fi character', getting grannies to do unlikely things in cars). I enjoyed it massively, but high-brow it was not.

I do think the show hit a bit of a 'golden phase' around series four, and this carried on until circumstances meant that a lot of the more serious items for series 9 had to be cut in favour of using the big, expensive films that had already been made. Perhaps unfortuately for the more hardcore fans, but not for the show at large (which has a bottom line, like any other business undertaking), viewing figures went through the roof.

This, funnily enough, was where the first proper rumbles of 'there aren't enough cars' and 'it's jumped the shark' started.

Over the last 5 series, there have been some brilliant episodes, and the increased awareness of the show has allowed them to do much bigger things than they could have done in the early days. Top Gear as a brand has been massive, and I suspect that hit its peak in 2008.

2009 has been a bit of a transitional year for the show again, I suspect. The viewer drift that Andy anticipated probably accounts for a lot of the drop in figures (some of it from the people who were brought in by the press coverage losing interest and some of it from the old-time fans who didn't like the direction the show went in), and the guys, being human, can't possibly keep up the relentless pace that they set themselves in 2008. I think the pressure has shown this year, and particularly in series 14.

And... looking over the last few years, I've a feeling the show is due another phase. Whether this is a 'wind-down' phase, bringing the show back to what it was a few series ago, or whether it takes things in a different direction entirely remains to be seen, but I suspect when the show returns, we are going to see a few changes.

Can i stab the creator of the thread plzzz.

Now in a serious note, i dont think that TG is gonna end just think of the money that BBC makes just for selling stupid stuff but that the fans buy. And the massive audience that they get.

No, I have an idea;
There's an old saying. You can never go home again.

So no. I don't think that's the answer either. I'd like to see more balance myself. Yes, I think they should focus on more serious (and perhaps, unbiased) car reviews and do less over-the-top and pointless shit (Hammond's airport vehicle racing segment for instance. I mean really, WTF!?), but getting rid of the cocking about completely would be just as dumb, in my opinion. A good deal of their success lies in the chemistry between the three presenters. Get rid of that and the show would fall as flat as a two day old Coke. However, I really do think the characterizing of Jeremy, Richard and especially James needs to stop (a fact I'm glad Wilman has addressed) as it really does them a disservice. Each has enough personality, smarts and humor without that sort of nonsense, so god only knows why they felt they needed to start it in the first place. Just let them be more spontaneous and genuine. You can always tell when they are and some of the best TG moments have been when we get to see that.

But anyway, getting back to the original question. No, I don't think TG will end just yet. The presenters are still having fun and the show's still a success. And regardless of all the whining and bitching, it's still some of the best bit of telly around. However, the day you see apathy or a lack of chemistry between the three should be the day you start worrying.

Let's hope that won't happen too soon.

I really do think the characterizing of Jeremy, Richard and especially James needs to stop (a fact I'm glad Wilman has addressed) as it really does them a disservice. Each has enough personality, smarts and humor without that sort of nonsense, so god only knows why they felt they needed to start it in the first place. Just let them be more spontaneous and genuine.

THIS.

This was one of Top Gear Australia's main failings: in Series 2, they had 3 excellent presenters with pretty good chemistry, but they were scripted to within an inch of their lives and they came across as being somewhat wooden. Anyone that has seen or heard Warren Brown, Steve Pizzati or James Morrison when they are being themselves will concur that each of these guys are witty and engaging in their own right.

Same with Clarkson, May and Hammond. We know that all 3 are incredibly good to watch when they are off the leash. But no matter how great they are - or how great the natural chemistry is - as soon as the scripting becomes really obvious, it shows. And it makes the TG UK 3 look nowhere nearly as talented as we know they are.

I have to say that much of Series 14 has felt a bit like Top Gear Australia: overscripted, half-baked in places, with many of the stars only there to plug whatever book/movie/CD they've just released ... but on the whole, still worthwhile with some absolute golden moments. If you don't believe me, watch a couple of the better episodes of TGA Series 2 (say, 2x04 or 2x05) and compare it with one of the half-arsed episodes of TG UK Series 14 (say, 14x02 or 14x05) back to back. If you can watch these without letting your own biases towards TG UK/against TGA get in the way, you'll see there is not a lot of difference.

The 'Save Top Gear' ZOMG!WE PREFER TO BELIEVE THE DAILY FAIL AND YAHOO INSTEAD OF THINKING FOR OURSELVES!SO TG IS GOING UNDER!WTFBBQ!!!!!!!! Facebook page now has nearly a quarter of a million members now.

FTFY. ;) (Couldn't help myself, really.)

The biggest rise in audience figures came when the show returned after Hammond's crash...

...and the audience figures are only now starting to seriously roll back to where they were before...

...these people, who started watching out of curiosity after hearing all about the little chap who went upside down for weeks on end, would eventually drift away.

All the lunacy, silliness, travel guides in HD, or cinematography making everything look like a scene from "Lord of the Rings"...
All that is catered to the people that started watching after the accident.
And they are the first ones to leave, cause they don't care what "noisy something" they are watching.
Leaving the real fans with this circus we have now.

From my point of view, it all started after they won an Emmy.

Please don't give me the worst examples from the past, to make a point.
I don't care for silly grannies, and neither do I care for a 60 minute extensive inside about a VW Diesel.

There used to be so many good road tests.
Hammond in the Pagani Zonda Roadster, him testing the SLR in South Africa, or driving the Ford Mustang.
Clarkson on the road in an AMG Mercedes.
Or the toned down reviews of James May, to give it a contrast.

Gone!
Today it's pointless driving around the airfield.

Like mentioned before; from the last regular episode, "The News" was the only part I watched in full.
It's not the three guys I have a problem with.

Top Gear is a franchise and a big business too.
DVDs, Live Shows, Magazines, down-loadable content.
And THAT caters to the car enthusiasts and petrol heads.
They're not spending a dime on staged silliness.
And the ones just watching for the sensation and staged lunacy, they rather buy stuff like "Transformers" or "Jackass" (the original idiocy).
Oh no, I gave it away... :blink: :lol:

The producers know that they need a new orientation.
Lets see what happens. <_< It's their decision, and nobody else's.

BTW, "jumped the shark".
I listen to the Howard Stern show all the time, so I know Jon Hein who brought the phrase to the Internet as a webmaster.
Nobody is using that phrase, it SOOOOO doesn't catch on.

BTW, "jumped the shark".
I listen to the Howard Stern show all the time, so I know Jon Hein who brought the phrase to the Internet as a webmaster.
Nobody is using that phrase, it SOOOOO doesn't catch on.

Just as a point of interest, the origin of the phrase 'jumping the shark' is an episode of Happy Days, when Fonzie jumped over a shark while waterskiing and was largely considered to be the point where the series lost its way. And if you go back to the thread for episode 09x01, you will find that people here used it then, and people have been using it ever since.

(I'm not disagreeing with your points, btw :) )

Last edited: