Is it ok to leave bacon out for 2 hours?

L2D

Car(s)
1999 Toyota Camry V6
I made bacon and eggs today about two hours ago and I just found the package of bacon next to the stove. Is the bacon still ok? Will it have bacteria??

Thanks for your help.

The_Finn

Car(s)
99 Volvo V70R
In my world bacon sitting out for 2 hours is perfectly fine. Admittedly i have a castiron stomach and very rarely get sick from eating food that is a bit past the ok point for most of my friends

eddysdaman

Car(s)
Clue: It has boost.
Pork can be pretty nasty ... but Chicken is worse

It's probably fine, I'd still eat it. It's winter down here so it's not like it was in 40c heat... :p

L2D

Car(s)
1999 Toyota Camry V6
Thanks for the quick replies. I must mention that when i touched it, it was still a bit colder than room temperature.

Adunaphel

KLAUWD
STAFF MEMBER
DONOR
Car(s)
'18 Clio; '13 Cube Hyde
Bacon is salted, smoked and/ or dried pork. These were all used in ye olden dayes to make good for a longer period, before there were refrigerators. Properly cured bacon is at least a few months old. And it's cured non-refrigerated.

Koenig

If you ever leave meat out for over 6 hours, I'd highly recommend smelling it before deciding what to do with it. If it smells fine, your stomach should be able to deal with any bacteria.

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
It should be fine. Just make sure it's cooked thoroughly before you eat it and you'll be okay (not that it's difficult to bring a slice of bacon over 145*F internal temp).

Smell it. If it smells bad, toss it out. Your nose is your best tool to tell when something's gone bad.
:+1:

NooDle

Ik ben niet alleen lekker met kaas!
Car(s)
VW eGolf, Hyundai Kona 1.0
yes it is

unless it's fallen on the floor, then the 5 second rule applies

Vambeer

Car(s)
2003 FIAT Punto Sporting 95HP, 2011 Volvo S60 1.6D
I saw the thread and i saw 15 or so answers...This site ROCKS! the sheer volume of information in its pages is stunning! it includes even bacon!!!! you guys rule!

wooflepoof

Watermelon Connoisseur
Car(s)
Genesis Sedan 3.8
It should be fine. Just make sure it's cooked thoroughly before you eat it and you'll be okay (not that it's difficult to bring a slice of bacon over 145*F internal temp).

Smell it. If it smells bad, toss it out. Your nose is your best tool to tell when something's gone bad.
In many situations, yes.

The general accepted TDZ (Temperature Danger Zone) is 40-135 iirc and most fresh or non preserved food should be kept out for no longer than 4 hours.

Yuo know...I started a thread for questions like this

L2D

Car(s)
1999 Toyota Camry V6
Guess what? I died.

Bacon was still good, i made 2 sandwiches with 4 pieces of bacon, I'm hoping it will be 6 slices thick with 6 eggs.