It's Chili Time!!!

THGL

Car(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) Limited
I know it's the middle of the summer, but now that we have a food/cooking category I have to post this. I can't take credit for the recipe, I found it elsewhere on the interwebs. It's definitely in my Top 3 recipes for chili.

1 pound London broil, trimmed and diced
1 pound center cut pork loin, trimmed and diced
3 slices of bacon, coarsely chopped (I think I'll try more next time - never too much bacon!)
4 ounces ground Sicilian sausage or hot sausage
2 cups coarsely chopped onion
2 cups finely chopped onion
2 cups coarsely chopped green or red pepper
5 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 small jar medium-hot chilies (I couldn?t find med-hot so I used mild green chilis & about 1 Tbs. jalape?os - I'm using more jalape?os next time)
3 (6 oz.) cans of tomato paste
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatos.
1 medium can of pinto beans (I'm not a fan of pintos so I used Brook?s brand hot chili beans)
1 cup BBQ sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce
Juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon of molasses
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons peanut oil-divided
3 cups water

Dry spices:
1/4 teaspoon powdered cloves
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon basil
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 whole cinnamon sticks
1 tablespoon cilantro
4 tablespoons chili powder (I'm a fan of chili powder so I used 5 or 6)

Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil to a five quart pot over medium-high heat. Add the butter and the coarsely chopped onion and cook until carmelized.

Once carmelized, add the beef, pork, bacon and sausage, stirring occasionally until browned. Add the lime juice, stir, and reduce the heat to medium. Add the garlic and 2 cans of tomato paste, stir, and let simmer for 20 minutes.

Increase the heat to medium-high, stir in remaining peanut oil, finely chopped onion, red or green peppers, chilies, tomato paste, crushed tomatos, bar-b-que sauce, all dry spices, and 3 cups of water. Stir, cover, and let cook for twenty minutes.

Reduce heat to medium-low, stir and cook for forty minutes stirring often.

Increase heat to medium, stir in pinto beans, hot sauce, and molasses, cover and cook for thirty minutes.

You'll have to keep a keen eye on the stove's heat and stir often. I found that I had to cook at lower temps. to keep it from burning.

Wow that looks like a good 'un all right, how many servings is that for? What do you recommend to go with it?

Have you got a pic' or two?

Sorry, no pics. Next time I cook it I'll think about documenting it.

The one time I fixed it I brought it to work for everyone. I think there was at least 8 people eating that day with a few going back for 2nd's and there was little bit left over. I'd say 12 servings (that's with spaghetti noodles on the side as a filler). I guess it depends on how hungry everyone is!

I hate spaghetti noodles with chili (I'm making chili, not spaghetti sauce!) but if I'm fixing for a crowd I cook a pound of it to serve on the side. I also lay out shredded cheese, sour cream, oyster crackers, and some hot peppers if I have any left over from cooking.

:threadnopics:

have you seen the other threads? people are posting pics of the components, how the food is supposed to look, etc. this whole forum has to have visual stimuli to get those juices flowing (drooool!)

Dude, you totally forgot the shredded cheese and oyster crackers!
http://img524.imageshack.**/img524/9328/chilicopyoe5.jpg
;)