Ownership Verified: I've Gone Full Madman: Alfa Romeo 156

KaJuN

Disco Inferno
Car(s)
Mini Cooper S, Landy Series III, Vulcan 900 Custom

First some pictures because, come on, it's an Alfa. These are the crappy photos from the ad because it was too rainy and miserable today to get my own.

And the requisite proof picture, not that anyone else in the world would be dumb enough to replace one unreliable car with another. :p

Here's the replacement for my dearly departed MGF. It's a 2001 model, 2.0 Twinspark petrol, 5 speed proper manual, metallic black paint over cream leather, and she's covered 115,000 miles. She's a way better car than the MGF ever was; the whole thing just feels tighter and more refined. It's a soothing car to be in and that's nice with a half hour commute to work but at the same time it's still huge fun to drive. I've only driven it about an hour so far but here's a quick review:

Suspension and handling:
This is what I love most about it. The ride is so incredibly supple even after so many miles, yet the suspension is communicative enough that I can easily tell the difference between different road surfaces. It glides over bumps easily and with no annoying jarring or rattling which was a problem with the old MG. Steering is nicely weighted being a bit on the heavy side (a good thing IMHO) with a thick wheel which feels nicely in the hand, although the steering is a little numb and non-communicative.

Power:
It's not nearly as lively as the MG was with much more weight to carry around while still having roughly the same 150-ish horsepower. But that being said accelerating onto the motorway is easy and confidence-inspiring. There's plenty of power for overtaking too. The engine is finished off with a nice low rumbling exhaust note.

Clutch and gearbox:

The gear lever slides into each gear with a satisfying little slip. It's not notchy or abrasive like most other manuals I've driven. The clutch is nicely weighted on both directions of travel and it bites nice and low.

Comfort:
Wow! Is this car ever comfortable! The seats show very little wear with no rips or scuffs at all. The bolsters hug nicely without being restrictive. A height-adjustable seat and tilting/telescoping steering wheel means I can really fine tune the driving position. Another nice surprise was the lack of cabin noise. It's so quiet inside at 70mph, so much so that I found myself accidentally straying above that speed a few times. The stereo is awesome, especially coming from the MG with it's two nearly dead speakers. Six noise makers around the cabin really put out a good sound and there's ample bass. I just wish the aftermarket Sony head unit had an aux-in port because my Zune's FM transmitter isn't doing the stereo system justice.

And all this Italian passion and flair became mine for the measly sum of ?750 ($1200 for my fellow Americans). Naturally at that price there are going to be a few issues. Mechanically the car is great with a fresh MOT but cosmetically there are a couple of problems. The driver's side lower trim is coming off but that's something a little glue can't fix. There are a few places on the driver's door where the clear coat is starting to peel. But worst of all there's a tow hitch sticking out the back. That is getting removed at my earliest possible convenience.

Now, it wouldn't be an Alfa without that special something and the "Alfa magic" struck immediately...literally. When I first got in the car I shut the door and it just bounced open again. The exterior door button is sticking but should be fine after cleaning and lubricating. If that's the way things are going then this is going to be an entertaining car to have! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice.

Just remember that you really do need to change the cambelt every 60k km.

Dude.

DUDE!

I love you. I love the car. You get rep.

Give him rep.

Hey, the steering wheel is on the wrong side. That's Alfa build quality, I guess.

Good luck, looks good!

That amount of style and sexiness for 750?? Who gives a crap if it breaks down. :D

I'd just sit and ogle it for days on end.

Do replace the front emblem, they're very affordable on eBay. And yeah, double-check when the cambelt's due for a change. You might want to replace the valve timing variator at the same time, it has an effect to how smoothly the engine runs and tends to fizzle out eventually. Or this was the consensus some time ago when I was this close to buying an 156.

Excellent!

Mmm, Alfa... I approve of this car!

Do replace the front emblem, they're very affordable on eBay. And yeah, double-check when the cambelt's due for a change. You might want to replace the valve timing variator at the same time, it has an effect to how smoothly the engine runs and tends to fizzle out eventually. Or this was the consensus some time ago when I was this close to buying an 156.

I forgot to mention that flaw in the OP. A replacement emblem has already been ordered. :) I'll definitely keep up with the cambelt changes. After having the K-series bite me in the ass I'll be damned if another known problem takes another car from me.

Good to hear! I'll also be interested to hear what the underbody looks like, rust-wise.

:clarkson: Black with tan leather? I'm nursing a semi!

I nearly fell off my chair, now that is a pretty car!

Doesn't look close to half of its age either, and what a price!

On a serious note FFS get the cam belt checked or make sure it's been done in the last 20K miles. These things throw belts like Australians throw midgets.

Congrats on a nice 156 - I love the colour combo and the wheels :thumbsup:

Aside of the aforementioned cambelt and valve timing variator, another thing to watch is the oil level. Don't forget to change it often (6k miles max) and use the proper one - Selenia 20K 10w40 or Selenia Racing 10w60.

I hadn't read that about the oil yet. Thanks for the tip! The color/wheel combo is really what made me notice this car. All the other ones I saw listed were either red or silver and most had the old-time film reel style wheels. I think my exact words when I saw that side profile photo were "Oooh...sexy!". The metal flakes in the paint really set it off and it looks more like a very dark gray instead of black. And for some reason almost every receipt in the service history says the car is blue. :?

:clarkson: Black with tan leather? I'm nursing a semi!

When I first saw the ad I wasn't too keen on the cream leather. But seeing it in person instantly changed my mind. It breaks up an endless sea of gray and makes the whole car feel more upmarket.

And I just experienced some more "Alfa magic"! When I brought it home earlier I had just under half a tank of fuel. I just went out to the shops and the fuel gauge showed empty. Like completely empty. At first I thought "Oh no don't tell me I have a fuel leak" but then it started creeping up to 1/8 tank and then just sat there. When I got back into the car after shopping the fuel gauge was back where it should have been all along. Silly Alfa! :lol: I think the severe slant of my driveway might have something to do with it.

Congratulations! It will give you many smiles so enjoy:)