Jalopnik calls out on Katwalk!

Wow.... my car is 3400lbs and its so much bigger....

My (admittedly very similar to your car 1.8T Passat) is only 3322lbs and has absolutely no problems with acceleration or speed. How in heavens name did they make the Beetle so much worse? It sounds like they had to work at it.

And then what's on the A4 that isn't on the Passat that weighs 80lbs? Electric seats?

No, men don't like your car because its slow :p

FYI, many men who are smooth with women have little interest in fast cars, mainly because they are too busy getting it on with women :lol:

My (admittedly very similar to your car 1.8T Passat) is only 3322lbs and has absolutely no problems with acceleration or speed. How in heavens name did they make the Beetle so much worse? It sounds like they had to work at it.

And then what's on the A4 that isn't on the Passat that weighs 80lbs? Electric seats?

Is yours the 4motion or the FWD? Only my driver seat is electric but both seats are heated and I have the Quattro so it might be that. Remember our cars are turbo (a very small one at that) so they make torque early and maintain it through out the rev range.

Is yours the 4motion or the FWD? Only my driver seat is electric but both seats are heated and I have the Quattro so it might be that. Remember our cars are turbo (a very small one at that) so they make torque early and maintain it through out the rev range.

No, I'm FWD so it could easily be your Quattro (in which case it's probably impressive it's only 80 lbs). Neither of my seats are powered or heated. I hate my car but have to admit the engine does a damn fine job of powering the thing. I suppose there could also be differences in safety equipment depending on model year.

Sounds like the Beetle is desperately in need of that little turbo.

2.0 New Beetle Vert is pretty damn slow to be honest... in fact is there any car slower currently on sale in the U.S.A.?

CarandDriverNewBeetleTechnicalData.jpg

I just had a quick look on google, apparently a transit'll do 0-60 in 12.9 or quicker.....

2.0 New Beetle Vert is pretty damn slow to be honest... in fact is there any car slower currently on sale in the U.S.A.?

CarandDriverNewBeetleTechnicalData.jpg

I think the Audi Q7 is slower.

I love how the Camry is just a beige picture! :D

Edit: Damn 0-60 in 12.4 seconds?? That is so slow its unsafe.

Last edited:
Do you realize 12.4 is slower than the PRIUS? Amazing.

HA, I have one! Subaru Impreza with the 1.5l 4banger and autoslushbox takes 15.1 seconds!

EDiT: apparently you yanks are still getting the old impreza..

And I don't think we get the 1.5L in the US.

Nope, smallest one we have is 2.5L.

And I don't think we get the 1.5L in the US.

Nope, smallest one we have is 2.5L.

Well, that's in part because you still get the old impreza, the 1.5 was only introduced with the weird new hatchbacky one.

EDIT: apparently it's the same car, just that the sedan still looks like the old model.

Last edited:
We do get the hatchbacky one. In fact, someone on this board has one.

apparently most foreign manufacturers don't bother to import more than one or two engines, as to not give americans trouble choosing.

The impreza is only available as a 2.5 and a wrx sti, but not as the 1.5 or the 2.0 like it is in japan or europe.

3 series only available as 328 and 335, but not as 318, 320, 325 or 330 (although there is no 328 in europe). let alone all the 3xxd models.

EDIT: WTF
http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/specifications.aspx
Is it just me, or does honda USA simply not list the acceleration figures for their cars?

Last edited:
Re; Honda - Not just you.

Regarding engine choices - aside from the fact that most Americans won't bother with more than two or three out of a menu of choices (GM found that out some time ago), there's also the facts that 1) most Euro engine choices will not pass US smog regulations and 2) certifying an engine under US smog regs is anything but cheap or quick.

Re; Honda - Not just you.

Wtf, that's just absurd. I can't think of a single German car website that doesn't list 0-100 times. Even Honda Germany does it.

Wtf, that's just absurd. I can't think of a single German car website that doesn't list 0-100 times. Even Honda Germany does it.

NOBODY in the American market does it. We're prettymuch entirely dependent upon third parties.

US engine regulations are absolutely fucking ridiculous as well.

Blame the lawyers.

We desperately need tort reform in this country. It's not going to happen, since those scum trial lawyers that caused this mess are running the country now.

Last edited:
NOBODY in the American market does it. We're prettymuch entirely dependent upon third parties.

Well you have my sympathy.

Is it just me or has this thread turned into Random Automotive Thoughts PT2?
Well, I have a random thought concerning jags, and I'm off to the real random thoughts thread, as not to derail this thread anymore.