James (almost) going to the moon for new programme

I keep getting a 404-Not Found, even after a drag-and-drop and a copy and paste.

Go to the home page, then go to "Browse", then type in "James May". It will turn up on the first page (2nd link) as a doco. I had the same problem, and this fixed it. It is the same download and everything, it just wouldn't let me go directly to it :S

Ummm - has no-one else spotted the postings to this thread by the new user "Cabi", a man who seems to know an awful lot about U2 flights, and who has posted some photos taken from U2-type altitudes?

Watch the programme again - James' pilot in the U2 was a Major Cabi Cabigas. How cool is that?

Cabi - fantastic programme, and serious respect for flying the U2. I can just about handle a C152 and a Robinson R22, but what you do is in another league altogether...!

Watched this last night and it was a great documentary. Well his and Clarkson's documentary's are always usually good. This reminded me a lot of Clarkson's WW2 documentary 'The Greatest Raid of All Time' not because of the content but because both Clarkson and May had genuine interest in the subject and were passionate about it. Something that usually seems to be lacking in Hammond's documentary's. I Especially loved the choice of music and camera scenery. May really impressed me with how he would have been able to handle the training involved for being in the U2 and the machine itself is so impressive. Despite what it might be used for in the past, its still a beautiful piece of machinery.
Combined with the BBC4 'making of' program that aired after and coming after the season premier of Top Gear it made for a great nights viewing on TV, something that seems to be lacking nowadays.
Finally i was extremely impressed with the pilot (think his name was Cabi?) and if all US pilots are like that, you yanks are in good hands. Also i howled with laughter about the Asto-Sh**ters club.

Last edited:
Ummm - has no-one else spotted the postings to this thread by the new user "Cabi", a man who seems to know an awful lot about U2 flights, and who has posted some photos taken from U2-type altitudes?

Wow, you could be right. How cool is that to have a proper U2 pilot on this board. :cool:

It was a very good program. It annoyed me, because i had my final high school exam this morning, and I really had to study.. But then there was James and Oz, Top Gear, James May goes to the moon and James May at the edge of space.. And obviously I had to watch all of it.

That was some seriously good tv, and my exam worked out fine, so all is good :D

In my opinion James May is the one of the three who makes the best TV outide of Top Gear. Clarkson is a very close second, he has made some brilliant stuff as well.. But May's is just endlessly entertaining. I believe it is because he is both knowledgable and passionate about the subjects he makes films about.. And he is very good at passing that knowledge on.

I liked the bit where he had to answer the question "Are you having any thoughts about hurting yourself or others?"

"Strictly that is a yes, but I guess they want me to put a no."

I think that was a clever thing to to do. It would have taken James ages to explain to the American crew who Jeremy Clarkson is. :D

Watch the programme again - James' pilot in the U2 was a Major Cabi Cabigas. How cool is that?

Cabi - fantastic programme, and serious respect for flying the U2. I can just about handle a C152 and a Robinson R22, but what you do is in another league altogether...!

He'd even posted his pic further back!

Cabi - it was a great show! Any chance of a job swap??

No, it's not. They are two completely different programmes with only a minute or so of overlapping material.

No, it's not. They are two completely different programmes with only a minute or so of overlapping material.

Ok, it's more like 10 minutes of overlapping. Unless you're a total nutjob like me I prolly wouldn't bother watching both. :p

WillDAQ, your pic is only from 35,000' - 40,000'. My pic is from above 60,000'+; the island of Bahrain in the Persian Gulf. Note: compare the obvious curvature of the horizon, and the blackness of the sky! Keep in mind, 95% of the atmosphere is below me in this picture.

Cabi~

Well spotted, sadly I couldn't find a decent picture from Concorde at it's ceiling of 60,000ft.

You probably are however the man to ask about how much difference there is between 60,000ft and 70,000ft in terms of the view?

Look what I just ordered from Amazon :D

For all those of you still looking for the programmes: the DVD also includes At The Edge of Space!

51KF2EiHDEL._AA240_.jpg