James (almost) going to the moon for new programme

Just having watched "May on the Moon" I'm left wide-eyed with awe and the very strong feeling that it'll be hard to top this. I won't spoil anything, but those of us who have watched...eeeeeeeee! I want to do that now but to take off in Thunderbird 1 please! =D

Regards,

Yickle!

P.S. This, having watched it after the TG episode from Sunday, just completely outperforms it in both factual entertainment and being genuinely epic! =)

Just watched it. Amazing.

I just hope that someone out there in TV land, appreciates this enough to at least nominate the show for either a BAFTA or an NTA award. It's so deserving of both.

Last edited:
The DVD will have both episodes, but sadly no extras.
The space suit bit you've seen (in a car park ...) was an outtake, and won't be included on the DVD either.

Last edited:
The only thing i can think of for the 7 part is that other people did shows for the moon night on bbc4 so maybe all together there was 7 shows.
2 from May and 5 from some other people?

Last edited:
Very, very good show to honour a legendary event.

I lol?ed hard at the TG-reference ...

Very, very good show to honour a legendary event.

I lol?ed hard at the TG-reference ...
I totally agree on the Top Gear reference, especially liked the facial expression James had right after he said it.

I really enjoyed both of these shows. James May's style of presenting is really nice. Very enthusiastic, knowledgeable, eloquent and a bit nerdy. And off course a great subject for a documentary.

I really enjoyed both of these shows. James May's style of presenting is really nice. Very enthusiastic, knowledgeable, eloquent and a bit nerdy. And off course a great subject for a documentary.

Totally agreed. It's this style of presenting that has me hooked up on a certain documentary.

James May just got a zillion % cooler in my book with this one. Not that he wasn't cool before.

Repeated Thursday 25th June, 8.30pm, BBC4

They did a BBC4 show going into great detail behind the U2 flight - it is still on the iplayer if you are quick. That Pilot was extremely impressive.

That was really, really special. James will have a hard time topping that, subject and presenting wise.

For the past couple of shows, I thought James was merely trying to do engineering shows and so on more in Jeremy's shadow, especially since they'd made very similar shows. But with Big Ideas and this, he's really come along. I think I'll even go as far to putting him on par with Clarkson's documentary efforts. Jeremy has his ultimate passion, but James always has this sense of genuineness about him.

Hopefully in my lifetime I can afford to ride something similar to the Virgin Galactic.

Last edited:
just watched James May on the Moon. Massive Good. Just awsome. the BBC blew me away with the Planet Earth Series and now this comes along, wow. no matter how much people bash the BBC, as an american i can only hope that someday we have that kind of production quality with our networks. this is the first time i have seen James May outside of TG and i am just blown away. i am a huge fan of those pioneers, though, the ones i study and admire are the Mercury boys, and this does them every bit of justice. i admire the fact that you could see how he really feels about history. never once did it seem as if he were a celebrity. really, i could go on for hours admiring this, but, ill spare you. just awsome.

do have to mention the Top Gear reference, that was just funny. you could see it comming and then he threw in a small delay just to mess with you, then, rolling his eyes was the topper.

TFor the past couple of shows, I thought James was merely trying to do engineering shows and so on more in Jeremy's shadow, especially since they'd made very similar shows. But with Big Ideas and this, he's really come along. I think I'll even go as far to putting him on par with Clarkson's documentary efforts. Jeremy has his ultimate passion, but James always has this sense of genuineness about him.
They both have totally different styles in that way (well ... I guess in almost every way :D) and I think James is more likely to do this for the next decades or so. He?s got the perfect voice for that kind of stuff and that kind of "british charm" about him. Documentaries are perfect for him, whereas I think with Clarkson it will always be rather opinionated ... not that that would be anything bad, but i think there is more of a demand for the calm, charming type of presenter for this kind of stuff.

They both have totally different styles in that way (well ... I guess in almost every way :D) and I think James is more likely to do this for the next decades or so. He?s got the perfect voice for that kind of stuff and that kind of "british charm" about him. Documentaries are perfect for him, whereas I think with Clarkson it will always be rather opinionated ... not that that would be anything bad, but i think there is more of a demand for the calm, charming type of presenter for this kind of stuff.

exactly. if i were going to make a show like this, no matter what subject, one of the first people i would ask would now be james may. he has a deep appriciation and respect for other cultures and truly admires history. now, keep in mind i love all 3 of the guys equaly, thinking if Hammond would have dont this, i think he would have been just way over dramatic but everything else would have been fine it just wouldnt have had the same feel that May brought to it. i mean, when he reached 70,000 ft his emotions combined with the brilliant pictures, kind had a lump in my throught, not a "gonna cry" lump, but, that lump you get when your team wins the championship. just EPIC. i guess he just acts less like he is famous here and more like, well, one of us (regular people) and thats why it works. Jezza, on the other hand, wouldnt have even got in the plane, hell, i bet he was to tall for it anyways.

I've enjoyed all his previous shows, don't see why this one will be any different. Can't wait!

My thoughts exactly. I really like James' style and I'm also very interested in rocketry and space exploration. I think this is going to be great.