James May Goggles in Ariel Atom Film

STANDARD_911

Tried to search to see if someone had already asked this but does anyone know what kind of goggles James was wearing in his Atom film (16x01). They were epic!

I don't know what those are. I have these, but they block out peripheral field of view...
welding_goggles_27160.jpg

Don't have the video in front of me, but I remember them looking something like these, right?
http://classicpartsltd.com/goggles/classic-goggles.html
mark_49_black_motorcycle_go_3_9.jpg

Last edited:
He's had them for ages, I noticed them before in some of his other programmes. My guess is that they are the kind of goggles worn by British pilots in the old days.

51qJ90YysKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
It's a common part of his whole motorcycle outfit. They probably are WWII era goggles or at least replicas. They were an obligatory accessory to almost any post-war era motorbikers riding apparel, along with the ex-military bike they usually rode.

In this clip they weren't just for show. If a bug or a pebble happened to hit Jame's eye at the speeds he was reaching, he could have received severe optical injuries.

They seem to go everywhere with him. He had them on the road to Bethlehem as well

I seem to remember they left him somewhat abruptly when he had his accident.

He also seems to wear them on top of his classic-style (for which read 'old-fashioned') open-face bike helmet sometimes.

I quite like those, wouldn't mind a pair if I get the roof off the Land Rover in the summer. On an similar note I also like the similar goggle style sunglasses the Jamie Hyneman wears. :)

On an similar note I also like the similar goggle style sunglasses the Jamie Hyneman wears. :)

If I recall correctly, the ones he wears are the classic snowsport/high glare situation glasses, that I always knew as glacier glasses.

They still seem like Halcyons to me, but I don't see chrome-framed models with that center mechanism...only the blue-colored RAF models:
mark-8-raf-goggles_1_9.jpg