James May threatens to leave Top Gear!

sl55 amg

:may:James May is reported to have threatened to leave top gear unless his wages go up to the same amount as JC and Hammond. They currently get ?1,000,000 a year with May only on ?40,000 for TG, his total contract is worth ?100,000 with the bbc when you add on the other shows he does for them.:shock2:

He has refused to sign a new contract when his old one runs out in four months time, unless he is offered a far better deal.

I can't believe how little he gets compared to the others, lets just hope the bbc sort it out and get them all paid what they deserve!

Produce us the source or :nazirenesis: ?

Regardless of the truth of this news, May definitely deserves the same pay as the others. Sure, it seems like he may not do as many reviews and such, but he is just as important to the show as the others. He balances it out nicely.

Last edited:
kinda unfair given he has similar airtime to richard

According to FinalGear.com forum members - James May IS our "favourite" host, thanks to this poll conducted:
http://forums.finalgear.com/showthread.php?t=12346

He certainly is mine.

kinda unfair given he has similar airtime to richard
Kinda unfair?? Make that VERY unfair!

The BBC better wake up and smell the air because James May is worth a damn sight MORE than a million pounds to the show!

I simply could not imagine the program without James May! I'd get bored of watching Jeremy and Richard fighting. James is the meat in the sandwich for Top Gear. He is absolutely integral to that programs success.

Last edited:
Totally unfair, its like raping the poor dude... He'll probably get a pay rise...I hope BBC doesn't do cheap tactics and goes for a new presenter who'll do the job for the lesser $$$

His contract is probably from when he first started on Top Gear. I mean back then, the show was hardly the show it is today and he was a newbie to TV (I assume). His paycheck made sense for then (kinda) and the BBC had no incentive to raise it.

Well media attention about your wage should probably get the BBC to react.
Man, 40k vs. 1 million.. Showbiz is ass.

If this is true, then I can fully understand May's frustration (as Viper said, it's probably due to Hammond & JC having newer contracts that reflect the current value of the show) - I can't however imagine why the BBC wouldn't address this on his new contract though, they'd be mad to risk May leaving.

top gear before james was just lame, jason was a fat oaf who didn't add much at all.