James May threatens to leave Top Gear!

Peter3hg

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Audi A3 1.4 TFSI Honda Hornet CB600S
It's the NOTW so they will have massively overblown the story. As has been said the contract will be a few years old now and he will get a massive payrise, possibly not up to Hammond and JC pay but he will get at least a 10 fold increase I would think.

Mr-Stabby

As has been said, without May the show just wouldn't be the same. In circumstances like this usually i say screw celebrities, they get enough money already but ?40k is absolutely nothing! I get paid nearly that much and i'm nobody! It's no wonder poor James thinks a curry and a Ginsters pastie is exotic, whereas Clarkson and Hammond are probably sharing a bottle of 50 year old port at their respective mansions lol

Narcolepsy

yeah - totally reasonable - i'm amazed how little they've been paying him up till now all things considered. Yeah, they've really got to give it to him. How good would it feel getting a 1000% raise

mgkdk

Aced mod training!
Car(s)
VW UP! Renault Clio
If that is true, he really should get a BIIIIIIG christmas bonus, and a better contract, he deserves as much as the other two, and if they are as good buddies as they claim, they should back him up.

Blink

Anyone know what actually happened with Jason? Obviously the producers decided to get rid of him? He been doing anything since that we know of?

Matt

AMZ

He's working for peanuts. I'm suprised he accepted in first place.

'Blink' - Jason's been presenting 'Used Car Roadshow' along with some woman (forgot her name)

maximus

Car(s)
01 Ford Focus
Total spin made up by the News of the World. Yes May probably is up for a renewal, but I doubt he is angry and I bet he hasn't threatened to leave TG if he doesn't get what he wants.

James May's Hair

Have you noticed how the British members of this forum are not really taking this story seriously? Yet the non-British - who don't realise what a criminal waste of trees the News of the World is are getting 'animated'.

Seriously, don't waste your time.

Mr-Stabby

Actually on thinking about it, it doesn't make sense.

When the new Top Gear started, I could see Clarkson getting that much because the show was going to depend on him to get going again. But Richard was the newboy, and even in the 2003 series when James came along, the new series wasn't exactly an institution yet. So why would Richard be being paid a lot more than James at this point?

On a slightly different point, do the presenters get payments from the repeats on UKTV G2 and BBC Three? IF so, even James should be minted from those!

M3_Powered

Car(s)
BMW M3 (One Day)
Poor James, This Is Just a total shock. He's my favourite presenter & he doesn't deserve this. :-x

bartboy9891

I'm not Moe
Do Clarkson and Hammond each get 1,000,000 pounds total or individually?
Both sound unrealistic. I would assume Clarkson gets the bigger end of the stick, but a million pounds is a lot of money. 500K sounds reasonable though. For Hammond, 500K still sounds like a lot of money.

Vitamin J

Car(s)
1996 Mazda Miata 1.8L, 1992 Spec Miata 1.6L
Hey BBC, I'll host Top Gear in place of James for only 35k a year! I can do all the "oversteery" stuff and heal toe!

vRS

Car(s)
'99 BMW 323i SE
Its the News of the World, it costs 20p here, builders read it along with the Sun during tea breaks. Yes it must be true..........

I don't believe the source, at all but I agree like many others here that James deserves better pay from the BBC , hes just a big a part than Jeremy and Richard.

nomix

True Viking
Car(s)
Tend do walk the 40 meters from my bed to lecture.
Hey BBC, I'll host Top Gear in place of James for only 35k a year! I can do all the "oversteery" stuff and heal toe!
But you don't have the wit and you love American cars.

Sorry.

GraemeH

Car(s)
Toyota Corolla, Lexus IS200, BMW E39 5 Series.
NOTW would turn a passing comment of "yeah he wants to extend his contract, he'd like a pay rise though" into "threatens to quit if he doesn't get a raise!"

I don't doubt he'd look for more money but this paper is junk. It's made almost exlusively to fill up the dashboard of white-vans, along side empty bottles.

sl55 amg

Im sure there is some truth to what the news of the world has written, even if it is usually full of crap!

James has always come accross as the poor one of the bunch just from the cars they buy and the way they live so the ?40,000 a year is probably about right.

Richard had just signed an exclusive contract with the bbc (no more brainiac or itv daytime!) just before he had the accident, so that's probably why he is on the same pay as JC.

I'm sure james will get a similar contract to hammond, after all we know just how much the show means to the bbc from their responce after the jet crash. They sell it all over the world so they can definatly afford to pay james what he deserves.:D

BerserkerCatSplat

Hormone Induced
Car(s)
The Jeep of Theseus, Angry Wagon
I'm sure he will be brought up to the same level as the other two, NotW is just blowing things out of proportion.