James May: Work sets you free.

typeronin said:
Clarkson also called bus drivers "little Hitlers and murderers".
And what happened? (not that i care for the sweating gits, they chose to become 1)

trionic said:
Well cry me a river. WW2 is history, at least for my generation, we can talk freely.

TG team wasnt exactly making skin lamps there now was it. Just few words.

And if somebody is offented thats their problem, their weak mentality that is not strong enough.

QFT.

The not too fine a point was that the Caravan Camp, to them at least, was like one of THOSE terrible places, no one in their right minds would go there for a Holiday. You probably havr to tune in to the hunourous line, well that's IMHO. I think that it went over the heads of some of the audience so it was one of those "in the know" jokes too.

I used to live in Dorset and there are some mighty fine pubs in the county with some character. I think that the intimation that the country locals were like the characters in the film deliverance (check the music) was not fair. But funny.

It's not anti-semitic, and frankly I don't care if people find it offensive. The fact is that we are living in an ever more sanitized society; people are under the mistaken impression that they have a right to not be offended and it just isn't so.

If they are that offended then that's their problem, not mine and not Top Gear's.

While the Nazis were evil people, the Holocaust was an actual tragedy. You can mock the actions and characteristics of Nazis (i.e. the salute, the goosestepping, the overwrought German accent) but when you mock the Holocaust, the only thing to make light of is the genocide. So it's much more likely to be offensive and unacceptable. It's just not funny, unless you're a severely twisted person.

However, James wasn't actually mocking the Holocaust, but making a veiled reference to it. It's not as terrible as, say, anything involving the word "oven". Also, it's James. Draw your own conclusion, I guess.

edit: I recall a very old Clarkson article in which he says that Jaguar's factory quality would improve if Dachau was eleven miles down the road, which is a hell of a lot more specific.

As a German I find this totally offensive and unacceptable. Oh wait NOT.

This happens if you only look at what he said while completely ignoring the context. His remark was strictly anti-camping. Most of you missed the "Strenght through joy" bit which refers to the official recreational organisation of the Nazi party.

Their goal was to monitor, plan and control the holiday activities of the German people. They had holiday facilities on an German Island where they offered cheap rooms for workers while providing stricly planned activities (a mixture between vacation and political ideology to say so).

At best he's anti regulated holydays. (Remember all the rules the place had?)

Here we go again, with that same old jewish sensitivity bullshit.... :x

Lusitano said:

Finally someone with the same view on that topic...I'm sick of them using it as an excuse for anything they do...

Not even for one second did I find what JC or JM said even slightly offensive, you really have to be a moron to think in the direction (or maybe miss the context like Tat did) because the intent was indeed anti-camping and not anti-jewish.
Lusitano wrote:
Here we go again, with that same old jewish sensitivity bullshit....

Byte wrote:
Finally someone with the same view on that topic...I'm sick of them using it as an excuse for anything they do...
Use it an excuse for everything we do? you just like saying that to try and explain to your self why were better then you in everything :)

Lusitano said:
if a jewish person would start this thread, or say he was offended by it, then your comment would be in place. but since it was a non-jew who brought this up, and already 3 jews said they didn't mind, your comment is totally out of place.

Mercury said:
Use it an excuse for everything we do? you just like saying that to try and explain to your self why were better then you in everything :)

Obviously not not spelling and grammar :lol:

Hmmm I fail to see where exactly my spelling was wrong, but whatever makes you feel better big guy.
Next time do try to read and comprehend a thread before making pointless remarks Because as osabros mentioned, not one jew said anything and yet here you are splashing away.

take it in whatever context you like. I dontthink it was anti-semetic either. you live on a planet so interconnected that if you listen hard enbough you will find something offensive every second you are awake.

let them say all the olffensive crap they like, it means nothing as long as people ignore it. bringing light to this non-issue does nothing but breed controversy.

the same rule applies to all hateful, war mongering and insideous groups. what the world really needs is a little more apethy, I am firmly of the beliefe that if you ignore it in many cases IT WILL GO AWAY.

phrenzy says relax.

Mercury said:
Not even for one second did I find what JC or JM said even slightly offensive, you really have to be a moron to think in the direction (or maybe miss the context like Tat did) because the intent was indeed anti-camping and not anti-jewish.
Exactly. I failed to see the context, and made an immortal Dipstick out of myself.....

Mercury said:
Hmmm I fail to see where exactly my spelling was wrong, but whatever makes you feel better big guy.
Next time do try to read and comprehend a thread before making pointless remarks Because as osabros mentioned, not one jew said anything and yet here you are splashing away.

dude, I was making a JOKE. Your post just was screaming for one...and to satisfy you: "yourself" instead of "your self" and "why WE were better then you in everything" rather than "why were better then you in everything"... ;-)

Byte said:
Mercury said:

dude, I was making a JOKE. Your post just was screaming for one...and to satisfy you: "yourself" instead of "your self" and "why WE were better then you in everything" rather than "why were better then you in everything"... ;-)
bah...were is actually we're. I usually ignore apostrophies when I type that word (need to fix that...were is a different word :/).
and if your reply to Lusitano's post was a joke as well I'm not even close to understanding it.