James May: Work sets you free.

5f3463cd7074d3ebb0aed37fcc2bcf46.jpg

/got nuthin....

Hehe i noticed that too, altough i am Dutch i directly understood what he meant.

But i never take those things offensive, it just made me laugh. :lol:

Lusitano said:
Here we go again, with that same old jewish sensitivity bullshit.... :x

Okay, now that IS going over the top. You want to know the truth? You and everyone you know should be ashamed of your very existence. You ALLOWED people to be slaughtered en masse, exterminated -- precisely why do you think you even RATE as a human being and not an animal?

How could you possibly ignore the fact that you and your relatives failed to act in what anyone would define as a human manner to save your fellow man? Precisely what excuses do you think you can make for that? Claiming that Jews shouldn't be sensitive to this issue?

Let me go out and slaughter everyone you've known or cared about -- and take all their property and sell it off for my own benefit, and lets see after a few years how sensitive YOU are to the issue!

While I don't mind the TG reference, I am deeply insulted by your attempts to trivialize the issue.

Steve

Steve Levin said:
Lusitano said:

Okay, now that IS going over the top. You want to know the truth? You and everyone you know should be ashamed of your very existence. You ALLOWED people to be slaughtered en masse, exterminated -- precisely why do you think you even RATE as a human being and not an animal?

How could you possibly ignore the fact that you and your relatives failed to act in what anyone would define as a human manner to save your fellow man? Precisely what excuses do you think you can make for that? Claiming that Jews shouldn't be sensitive to this issue?

Let me go out and slaughter everyone you've known or cared about -- and take all their property and sell it off for my own benefit, and lets see after a few years how sensitive YOU are to the issue!

While I don't mind the TG reference, I am deeply insulted by your attempts to trivialize the issue.

Steve

Your talking about the 1940's...there were no cable news stations or live broadcast form the European theater. The 101st ariborne were the first American troops to discover a camp. No one outside of the villages really knew what was going on at the time.

No one would have allowed that to go if they did! No one! Your using a modern day mentality to assume the whole of the world knew about the camps from day one of their existence.

It was a horribly tragic event in the history of humanity. No one is saying what the jewish people went through was nothing. Hopefully we will never have to see a antrocity of that nature to mankind again but to say we should be ashamed of out ancestors is being assine.

Many people, from many countires gave their lives to rid the world of Hitler and his Nazi party. Had they known about the camps earlier I'm positive they would have stopped them......

mdaro said:
Your talking about the 1940's...there were no cable news stations or live broadcast form the European theater. The 101st ariborne were the first American troops to discover a camp. No one outside of the villages really knew what was going on at the time.

Sorry but that's utter nonsense. Those camps weren't isolated at all and there surely was contact between the people who lived there and the guards. A lot of people from Dachau even worked there in some way. In those years the camps existed word surely got around. Maybe not to todays extent with our modern media but people damn sure had an idea.

And if your very own neighbours are diappearing one by one and all jewish shops are owned by Germans all of a sudden you sure as hell know what's happening.

Your idea of the role of the Germans during WW2 is the most condemnable one, since it depicts them as victims of some tyrants who took them as hostages and somehow managed to commit all those crimes while no citizen knew anything about it.

You know, this reminds me of James' extended rant about the VW Beetle. You think a guy who hated a car for being "a mass murderer's personal transport" takes these things lightly? Doubtful.

It (combined with the 'strength through joy' comment) was a clever joke about the rules of the campground. That's all it was meant to be. Quit getting offended already.

"Sorry but that's utter nonsense. Those camps weren't isolated at all and there surely was contact between the people who lived there and the guards. A lot of people from Dachau even worked there in some way. In those years the cams existed word surely got around. Maybe not to today extent with our modern media but people damn sure had an idea."

Outside of the immediate villages that were GERMAN occupation, there were no real reports of "death" camps. Just war camps, we had war camps in thsi country in WWII. No one at the time thought Hitler was going mass murder an entire race!

Educate yourself before you call my post "utter nonsense".

Dachau, one of the first Nazi concentration camps, opened in March 1933, and at first interned only known political opponents of the Nazis: Communists, Social Democrats, and others who had been condemned in a court of law. Gradually, a more diverse group was imprisoned, including Jews, Jehovah's Witnesses, Gypsies , dissenting clergy, homosexuals, as well as others who were denounced for making critical remarks about the Nazis.

The death or extermination camps were constructed in Poland. These so-called death factories were Auschwitz-Birkenau, Treblinka, Belzec , Sobib?r, Lublin (also called Majdanek ), and Chelmno . They began their operations in 1942.

In the nine years the Germans operated the camps, they had not killed anyone. All of the death camps were in Poland and in 1942 was comepletly controlled by the Germans.

Germans in Germany in 1942 didn't know Hitler was killing Jews, Pols, etc. How was the rest of the world supposed to know?

Ohrdruf was the first camp discovered by the Americans on April 4th of 1945 by the 4th Armored division.

There weren't many radios, let alone TV's in Eastern and Western Europe during the war. Very few people had news of what was going on and the Germans, outside of some small British radio staions controlled them all!

There was no mass media in 1942! The camps were isolated, they were in one friggin country controlled by the Germans. Most of the people put to death there were SHIPPED IN BY TRAIN. The Pols that co-operated with the Germans were not killed in the camps.

Steve Levin said:
Lusitano said:

Steve

Erm...how about the fact that most of us on here were not even born then you idiot.

Many evil things have happened in history, just because it is in some way related to you, doesn't make it more important.

You might want to consider the part that the Jewish people played in 'Black Slavery'. All the white people on earth tried to enslave an entire group of people just because of their skin colour. (By the way, I am white so I am included in that as well).

This included many Jewish slave owners and Jewish slave ship owners (you can find a list here http://www.jewwatch.com/jew-genocide-black-holocaust-slave-ships.html )

The simple fact is, this happened in the past, in about 20-30 years there will be nobody even alive from that time period. Here is a list of various other attocities that have happened throughout history that you failed to even mention.

Japanese in Nanjing
Russians in Chechnia
Russians in Afghanistan
Iran vs. Iraq war (early eighties)
Slave trade Africa to US and Africa to Europe
Atomic bomb on Hiroshima
Saddam gasses his own people
Germans in Leningrad
Rwanda
9/11 attacks (2001)
The Crusades (late middle ages)

^^ Cite the quote or it doesn't mean shit.

That said, I agree that accusing anyone on this board of being in anyway responsible for the death of anybody in the holocaust is a completely reprehensible statement. Not only were none of us alive during that time, our ancestors did do their part. In case you forgot, the rest of Europe banded together, defeated Hitler, and as a result there are still German Jews alive. It is in no way anyone but the German (and Austrian)'s fault that Jews were killed at all.

If anything you should thank us for having ancestors that were brave enough to parachute into Germany or take to the beaches and risk their lives to save those of the Germans, French, and everybody else being opressed or destroyed by the Nazis.

geoff_a_pult said:
^^ Cite the quote or it doesn't mean shit.

That said, I agree that accusing anyone on this board of being in anyway responsible for the death of anybody in the holocaust is a completely reprehensible statement. Not only were none of us alive during that time, our ancestors did do their part. In case you forgot, the rest of Europe banded together, defeated Hitler, and as a result there are still German Jews alive. It is in no way anyone but the German (and Austrian)'s fault that Jews were killed at all.

If anything you should thank us for having ancestors that were brave enough to parachute into Germany or take to the beaches and risk their lives to save those of the Germans, French, and everybody else being opressed or destroyed by the Nazis.

Exactly, it's not like we could just call the Nazis on the phone and ask them to stop. Don't forget, they were killing us as well by bombing our towns and cities.

Do you really think the Nazis would have allowed us to just drive into Germany and open the gates while we were at war with them?

EDIT: Which quote are you on about geoff_a_pult?

by ^^ I mean two posts up, so

Dachau, one of the first Nazi concentration camps, opened in March 1933, and at first interned only known political opponents of the Nazis: Communists, Social Democrats, and others who had been condemned in a court of law. Gradually, a more diverse group was imprisoned, including Jews, Jehovah's Witnesses, Gypsies , dissenting clergy, homosexuals, as well as others who were denounced for making critical remarks about the Nazis.

The death or extermination camps were constructed in Poland. These so-called death factories were Auschwitz-Birkenau, Treblinka, Belzec , Sobib?r, Lublin (also called Majdanek ), and Chelmno . They began their operations in 1942.

Not citing quotes on the 'net is one of my pet peeves, because for all we know, he could have just written something that sounded authoritative and italicized it.

What does it matter that the quote isn't citied. Those are facts you can pull from any history book, forget the internet.

I only used the qoute so I didn't spell and re-spell those Polish city names over and over. I can;t spell for shiit so it would ahve taken me forever.

How's this instead:

Germany opened work camps in 1933 all over Germany. In 1942 they opened up death camps in Poland.

Better? Are you happy now? had you payed attention in history class you would have recognized the dates.

mdaro said:
What does it matter that the quote isn't citied. Those are facts you can pull from any history book, forget the internet.

I only used the qoute so I didn't spell and re-spell those Polish city names over and over. I can;t spell for shiit so it would ahve taken me forever.

How's this instead:

Germany opened work camps in 1933 all over Germany. In 1942 they opened up death camps in Poland.

Better? Are you happy now? had you payed attention in history class you would have recognized the dates.

It matters that the quote is cited so that we know you did pull it from any history book, and so we can check that you didn't pull it from "History the Nazi Way" by Karl S. Goering. It is one of those little things that maintains civility in a discussion and stops it from turning into the 'Vette vs. Ferrari thread.

By the way, I probably paid more attention in high school history than you did, but recognizing the dates proves nothing.
I could just as easily argue that the Northern states of the U.S. were founded in 1776, and nobody noticed them starting a war about slavery until 1861, so obviously the black slaves must have been fine up until then. The dates and facts are correct, the inference is greviously wrong.

all that

all that

umm if I may just throw my opinion in here, please?

there was one guy who basically said "Jews are bad for bringing this up every time and so on yadda yadda yadda". Even though, apparently, the whole issue was brought up by a non-jew and a number of jewish users have spoken up, saying _they_ didn't mind.

And then some other guy (Steve Levin, if I see it correctly) responded _directly_ to said first guy, calling that revolting, and saying "you and your relatives are responsible". At which a number of other people flew off saying their relatives did their part in the war to fight the Nazis and anyway, how should they have known what was going on in Germany.

But if I saw this correctly, the first guys profile says right there, next to his post, that he's a "Austrian tax-exile living in Switzerland".

So .. uh .. his relatives _were_ responsible, just as were mine, and that doesn't have anything to do with what British and American soldiers did in the war, it has to do with the role of the German and Austrian people.

I think they were great lines, both the 'strength through joy' and the 'work sets you free', because they mean so much more than simply
"caravaning is $|-|!t LOL", they are perfect references to what they thought the place to be, nasty. No support for killing people whatsoever, of any race or religion (seeing as gays, liberals, disabled people, etc were also killed) can possibly be derived.

IMO, and you have every right to disagree. But I just hope that TG did not recieve any complaints and so have so reduce these pieces of script genius. Peoples individual upset should not reduce enjoyment for others, a relative of mine was killed by a Jaguar several years ago for example. Should I cry and wail at the XK review a few months ago, NO, as TG did not mean to cause any upset, but unintensionally may have done.

Koppel said:
Top Gear directly mocks americans, no problem there. But just the slightest thought that this could have been somehow related to jews and BOOM, big problem.

Sounds like Isaac hayes having no problem mocking all the world's religions but once South Park mocked his "Scientology pyramid money scam parading around like a religion despite being made up by a science fiction writing felon" ridiculous belief system....oooooh, that was too far. :thumbsdown: