James May: Work sets you free.

Heh, at least the topic is doing what it was made for: Sharing opinions.

Please don't flame others for not having the same standpoint as you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Sure criticism is welcome, but keep it civilised. Remember, manners set you free..... (Oh god, here we go....)

I could just as easily argue that the Northern states of the U.S. were founded in 1776, and nobody noticed them starting a war about slavery until 1861, so obviously the black slaves must have been fine up until then. The dates and facts are correct, the inference is greviously wrong.

Except you can open any history text book and look those facts up. The death camps were in Poland. the work camps were in Germany. The workers in Germany were shipped to Poland to be killed. This started in 1942....

Should i qoute every single book ever written about the holocust to prove it to you?

Stop being an ass. I agree I should have attached the qoute but I was being lazy so I didn't have to spell all of those names...which I said. Your just being a dick to get a rise out of me and argue...... I hate fucking forums, they turn into this shit everytime cause people always have to be better then eveyone else. I wasn't trying to to the authoritative historian on the death camps just show that many people outside of the small villages next to the camps didn't know about them!

I MADE A MISTAKE BY NOT CITING THE QOUTE, IM SORRY FOR BEING LAZY! Happy now.....I'll just go to MiniNova to get my rips.

You could have easily just said hey, cite the quote so we can see where your getting it from. Instead you decided to a forum DICK that most people resort to.

You can't blame me for being a dick, I only did it when provoked.
I did exactly what you recommend (saying hey, cite the quote...), and you came back saying citing the quote doesn't matter. If you had said what you did now (sorry, here is the quote), I'd have thanked you for making the forums a better place for good discussion. (Okay, my way of saying "cite the quote" may have been dickish, but I was having a really bad day at work. Middle schoolers aren't exactly brilliant at making rational argument, so I had been having to explain that same thing all day long)

And why would you hate the forums for arguing? It would be boring as hell if we all just sat around all day saying "jolly good!... I agree"
It only sucks when people try to argue without any support.

geoff_a_pult said:
You can't blame me for being a dick, I only did it when provoked.
I did exactly what you recommend (saying hey, cite the quote...), and you came back saying citing the quote doesn't matter. If you had said what you did now (sorry, here is the quote), I'd have thanked you for making the forums a better place for good discussion. (Okay, my way of saying "cite the quote" may have been dickish, but I was having a really bad day at work. Middle schoolers aren't exactly brilliant at making rational argument, so I had been having to explain that same thing all day long)

And why would you hate the forums for arguing? It would be boring as hell if we all just sat around all day saying "jolly good!... I agree"
It only sucks when people try to argue without any support.
Read my post. :)

Work Sets You Free

Work Sets You Free

I think that a possible answer to this query is the fact that James has a particular penchant for WW2 history, this is obviously where he picked up both phrases "Work Sets You Free" and "Strength Through Joy" and I am sure there are no other connotations there.

I am sure that you'll agree James does not see the type of guy to deliberately upset, particularly with something like this.

H & M
:burnrubber:

Perhaps your name should be "PieceofTwat".

boo the fuck hoo. Go cry in a corner while you cut yourself and knit crappy poems into a sweater and listen to shitty music.

It's just TV, it was just a joke. Also, that isn't the only reference for that phrase if you'd bother to do any looking around.

zenkidori said:

boo the fuck hoo. Go cry in a corner while you cut yourself and knit crappy poems into a sweater and listen to shitty music.

It's just TV, it was just a joke. Also, that isn't the only reference for that phrase if you'd bother to do any looking around.

:thumbsdown: I shall ignore your comment as it was obviously directed at someone else.

Enjoy the show!

I can't believe some people would react so badly to what was, at the very worst, merely a joke, not a comment made with any malice.

i think the only things one can accuse tg-presenters when they are making jokes about whatever, especially about ww2-related wordings is that

- it is funny
- british understanding of all history-topics where germany is part of it end in 30ies and 40ies of the last century. they ignore that all this is more than 60 years ago and everybody, even the germans have develloped;-)
- the ignore, like it is absolutely normal for british houmor, that with what they say they offend people.
- it is still funny, very funny indeed.

and yes, they could change their way of commenting things in order to not offend people.

and yes, people which feel offended can start accepting that they are not alone in the world.

who doesn't like it doesn't have to watch it.

zenkidori said:

Where's a headshot smiley when you need one, eh?

Re: James May: Work sets you free.

PieceOfTat said:
"Remember, work sets you free." This is a direct reference to "Arbeit macht frei" the phrase which was on the gates of deathcamp Auschwitz.
I'm so tempted to point out that "Arbeit macht frei" didn't start out as a slogan above the entrance to Auschwitz [and Dachau and Sachsenhausen, and a few others], but started as a title for a book in the late 19th century, and May's statement could as easily have referred to this [or its later Weimar usage] as to the entrance of concentration camps, but obviously, you're correct, he was referring to concentration camps. I just have a kneejerk reaction to kneejerk reactionism.

Anyway, I was, in no way, offended. I think you're being irrational.

PieceOfTat said:
Referring to a war, I can live with that. Referring to the Holocaust is a different matter altogether.
The Second World War cost 50+ million lives. The Holocaust caused 12 million or so. Now, lives can't be tallied and summed, and this marginalizes the psychological effects on the survivors of both, as well as injuries and so on, but the fact is, there's no reason the Holocaust should somehow be verboten, while the war is just fine to - as you say - make jokes about.

Personally, you were offended. Okay. Personally, I'm not. I'm more offended by the notion that joking about the War is okay, but referring to the Holocaust in any way is right out. I have no difficulty believing more human anguish was caused in the Second World War than was in the Holocaust.

As a note, please make sure you never, ever, ever say, "To each his own." That was the slogan over Buchenwald, you know.

PieceOfTat said:
edit: Just watched it again....I'm a dick........ :oops:
... Doesn't take away the fact that some people might be offended by it.

Some people are offended by the color of the sky. :roll: Glad to see you are willing to own up to a mistake. Humor is always at someones expense.

Anyone know the conection between Volkswagen and "strength thouth joy?"

As a proud 1963 VW Bug w/Type 115 Sunroof model owner (restored!) I do.