James May's Cars of the People: Music Identification Thread

Anybody know the song when James is talking about Kei cars in episode 2 from 35:49 to 36:09? Its after he's standing in front of that Blue wagonR on a narrow street.

Last edited:
Bump. I really want to know what this one is.

- - - Updated - - -

In episode 2, at 28:47 - 29:33, the song is Le Festin by Camille.

Hi, that particular song is one of the most famous songs in the Edith Piaf repertory it's "Non, je ne regrette rien".

Greetings.

Land Cruiser section
Sirius - Alan Parsons Project

Vangelis - Blade Runner OST closing theme

And in case anyone doesn't know the mustard Range Rover piece uses Layla. Which isn't by Eric Clapton.

Last edited:
Also start of the Quattro piece. Francis Monkman's theme to The Long Good Friday...

Followed by Belouis Some's "Imagination"

Does anyone know the instrumental that comes in between 56.15 - 56.56. It sounds kind of familiar but can't place it. Thanks

And in case anyone doesn't know the mustard Range Rover piece uses Layla. Which isn't by Eric Clapton.

Yeah he only wrote it, sang it and played lead guitar on it.

Definitely not his song.

Well, technically, the original version was released by Derek & the Dominos. ;)

Yeah that definitely was the name of his band at the time. But the reality is that it's thought of as HIS song, which is why it's on so many Eric Clapton compilations and box sets.

At around 39:00, can anyone identify the music cue (when James parks his Range Rover at the top of the hill, "It's a lot steeper than I'd hoped")? It sounds Twin Peaks-ish, and I'm pretty sure it's from a film, but I just can't recall it.

Actually, the lead guitar part on Layla was played by the late great Duane Allman.

At around 39:00, can anyone identify the music cue (when James parks his Range Rover at the top of the hill, "It's a lot steeper than I'd hoped")? It sounds Twin Peaks-ish, and I'm pretty sure it's from a film, but I just can't recall it.

Its from the soundtrack to the film "Broken Arrow". I think it also featured in the film "Scream".

No question Duane Allman contributed a lot to the song but I think it's overstating what he did to say he played Lead.

I'm sure they tried a number of variations, but the final version clearly has a slide guitar solo, and Clapton did not play slide guitar (at least not until years later). The tone is also fatter than anything coming from a Strat, which Clapton was using exclusively at the time, and sounds exactly like the screeching Les Paul with the treble cranked all the way up that Allman was known to play. That solo is all Duane.

And I say that as a Clapton fan - I have all his records since the Yardbird days, whereas I never was a big fan of the Allman Brothers.

Series 2, episode 1. 56:00 What is this music please? It seems familiar, as if I should know it, and it's driving me mad!

In Season 2 episode 2 just after the bit where James is talking about Toyota making looms then branching out into cars. The next piece shows James driving a blue Toyota 4x4 mixed in with some war footage (it is around 20 minutes in), sounds like synthesized music. Any ideas?