James May's Cars of the People

I forgot to mention, my favourite part was the decision that the Series III Jag E-type isn't as good as the original. I always thought this but shows always seem to gravitate towards the later model (Wheel Dealers for example).

Slightly disappointed that the Datsun Z car was a 260 and not a 240.

Economics 101 - Supply and Demand. The Series III is the least desirable and therefore the cheapest incarnation of the E-Type so the shows choose them for reasons of budget.

Wouldn't know. They are both like rocking horse shit here. Either they've rotted away or are being kept warm and dry to save them from the same fate.

I enjoyed it! I think he way oversimplified the "Win war, lose at cars" thing, but one must be careful not to talk over one's audience I guess... ?

Other than that, I liked that it focused on the social and economic pieces as much as the cars themselves. We get plenty of cars-only programming elsewhere, but this adds a lot of interesting perspective that other shows don't add.

He also missed a very valid point that he could have included. The Allies battered Germany at the end of WWI with war reparations and export restrictions leading to massive disquiet, rampant inflation and creating the ideal situation for the Nazis to exploit and rise to power.

Fortunately they learned their lesson and after WWII helped the German and Japanese peoples rebuild.

That f150 looked awful, or maybe it was just the shit driving?
Also, this makes me sound like even more of a twat than usual. But, you see the gopros on the cars and that bugs me.

Also... :wub:

It was great to watch and I enjoyed the presence of Damon Hill. He should have been in charge of the new Top Gear, not Chris Evans.

But, you see the gopros on the cars and that bugs me.

I'm often distracted by spotting something poking out of the bodywork, then realise it's the GoPro that provided the great shot of a smoking tyre or flaming exhaust.

TG's production standards were such that you'd rarely is ever see how the 'magic' was made - duplicated runs, I guess. However, when there's just the driver (and maybe others) holding forth out on the open road, etc., then it gets trickier to hide the cameras, especially inside the vehicle - and multiple cameras do add visual enjoyment. I guess we have to just accept a few compromises for the sake of more spontaneousness :think:

I did still enjoy this episode despite the ugly F150 - I guess I'm a twat too? And more interesting music choices, including Hans Zimmer's 'You're so Cool' and the Avengers' theme - the proper Avengers with Emma Peel :cool:

I'll admit, when they did the bit on the Toyota Hilux I was half-expecting them to re-run (a) the TGUK "indestructible" bit or (b) some of the Polar Special. But I think JM may have vetoed in on the grounds that they could get more up-to-date footage.

I was also expecting some mention of the Mitisubishi Evo when they talked about the Impreza. But then again that would still be too much like TGUK.

I really like how James May's solo work takes the essence of what Jeremy did in a similar setting (informative entertainment) and makes it something entirely his. The man is a legend.

"Fruit."
:lmao:

Second episode, second gag at Chris Evans/death of CHM. :lol:

Describing Range Rovers or Lambos: "made for...radio 2 dj's...."

Off Topic:

I saw a teaser trailer on BBC Four last night for a new show from James May.

It only lasted about 15s and is to be called something like the Recostructor.

It very briefly showed JM rebuilding a Fender electric guitar and looks like a "bloke in a shed" type show.

Anyone heard anyting about this? :?

There is nothing on Google search yet, so I haven't started a new thread as I'm not sure about the title, content and show dates.

Note: BBC Four generally show these initial teasers three or four weeks before show date, without the confirmed date as the schedules may not be fully fixed.

Off Topic:

I saw a teaser trailer on BBC Four last night for a new show from James May.

It only lasted about 15s and is to be called something like the Recostructor.

It very briefly showed JM rebuilding a Fender electric guitar and looks like a "bloke in a shed" type show.

Anyone heard anyting about this? :?

There is nothing on Google search yet, so I haven't started a new thread as I'm not sure about the title, content and show dates.

Note: BBC Four generally show these initial teasers three or four weeks before show date, without the confirmed date as the schedules may not be fully fixed.
I went on the internet and found this :D

Any idiot can take things to bits" @MrJamesMay reassembles iconic everyday objects @BBCFour
https://twitter.com/bbcpress/status/711873362625224705

James May reassembles engineering icons on BBC Four
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/james-may-reassembles

The programme will be called James May: The Reassembler, there will be 3x 30minute episodes, but there were no air dates in the press release.
"Over three episodes stripped over three nights, James will reassemble a whole host of objects which have been carefully taken apart to all their hundreds of individual component parts. From a petrol-powered lawn mower to an electric guitar and an old-style rotary dial telephone, each episode will focus on one object which he will attempt to put back together."

Last edited:
No airdate specified as yet.

:heavyb:

I went on the internet and found this :D

Any idiot can take things to bits" @MrJamesMay reassembles iconic everyday objects @BBCFour
https://twitter.com/bbcpress/status/711873362625224705

James May reassembles engineering icons on BBC Four
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/james-may-reassembles

The programme will be called James May: The Reassembler, there will be 3x 30minute episodes, but there were no air dates in the press release.
"Over three episodes stripped over three nights, James will reassemble a whole host of objects which have been carefully taken apart to all their hundreds of individual component parts. From a petrol-powered lawn mower to an electric guitar and an old-style rotary dial telephone, each episode will focus on one object which he will attempt to put back together."

I made a thread for this show.:cool:
https://forums.finalgear.com/top-gear-host-shows/james-may-the-reassembler-60656/