James May's Cars of the People

Humm, I don't think there are such things as 2CV wrecks. Unless the bodywork is completely mangled beyond recognition, those pieces can be easily fitted as spares to other 2CVs, the whole body is attached to the chassis with nothing more than a few bolts.

Generally in the UK once a car has been on fire it's considered a write off and can't be returned to the road. You could strip it for parts, but it's probably not worth the hassle given the 2CVs and R4s aren't exactly uncommon. I saw several of both on the roads in just one week in the Netherlands!

Much of the third episode seemed to wander well away from what I'd assumed to be 'Cars of the People'. He seemed to stretch the People's Car idea till it included every car ever built ... or was that his intent?

Now I'm sad and disappointed. Many clich?s in this one, way too many...
I think he tries to resist some of them in a couple of scenes, but still it feels like someone forced him to end it like this (or he got bored and ended it prematurely).
It's a confusing episode with a weird ending.

Last edited:
The first episode was extremely interesting and informative and had me glued to the screen. The second had me checking my phone while watching it. The third... well I'm now at 44 minutes and bored. Surely there could have been some more episodes instead of cramping the last 50-60 years into one episode. Though the soundtrack of this "series" is great. You win some, you lose some...

I thought episode 3 was the oddest of the lot - there seemed to be quite a bit of 'well we've filmed this sequence so we'd better fit it in somewhere' going on. It was pretty enjoyable up to the ending of the Golf bit and coming up to the present day (despite the Lambo segment being way too long) but then he switched back to the 70s and started talking about the Bond Bug and the Mazda Mx5 rather than what I expected him to do which was look to the future.

It started well, but went right down the toilet when he started shooting cars - where have we seen that before. Also how can a Rolls Royce ever be considered as a car of the people along side the Beetle, Fiat 500 etc. etc? It's ludicrous.

It ended up with May in a replica of his teenage bedroom again, with Countach and 911 Turbo wall posters again, just like in Toy Storys. There was a wonderful advertisement for the VW Golf (on the BBC no less).

It's like they just lost interest after the first episode, which was well researched and interesting. The rest just degenerated into the usual puerile TG nonsense and ended up as James May's Cars of ... Cars he quite fancied when he was younger.

...Shame really.

Episode 3 was half disappointing :/

It's like they just lost interest after the first episode, which was well researched and interesting. The rest just degenerated into the usual puerile TG nonsense and ended up as James May's Cars of ... Cars he quite fancied when he was younger.

...Shame really.

Yeah, basically this. Episode one was probably the best and proper May-ish, how all should've been. The destruction was unnecessary as was the race, even though the race did actually serve a purpose. Oh and of course, the money for the falling Lada could've spend better.
The RR and supercar thingy was a complete joke. Still somewhat enjoyable, but the definition was stretched way to far. I wanted to see basic motoring. If I wanna see supercars I watch Top Gear

Halfway through ep 3, and I'm on my phone posting here...

Anyway: Winners drive Ford. :p :D

It was nice to see something branded "top gear" that was actually about cars for a change. Nice try James; but the "race" between the Sierra and the Vauxhall (in the last episode) hinted that the "top gear" brand is still more about bullshit than quality content. I also thought the segment with the "top trump" flavour (about the G vs GL company cars with a clock etc) was going to go somewhere, to make some novel and revelatory observation ... I was disappointed ... but then again, maybe not.

... and I actually fell asleep at about 40 minutes into ep 3. Did I miss anything?

... and I actually fell asleep at about 40 minutes into ep 3. Did I miss anything?
Then you may well have missed 40 minutes extra sleep. [Someone had to say it:cry:]

If I'd only seen the last one, and it'd been called something else, then I may well have enjoyed it too. But the first was so promising ...