James May's Man Lab

LindenChase

Another chance for us lot to appear in an upcoming series presented by James, but unfortunately only dudes are invited:

Grade One male musicians required for James May's new prime time BBC series

(...)

Auditions will take place and be filmed in Camden on Sat 10th July (day time), and if successful, applicants will be required to rehearse with the orchestra in Central London on Sat 24th July (day time) and perform on either Fri 20th Aug (late afternoon/evening) or Sat 21st Aug. The orchestra will be conducted by James May and will be for James May's Man Lab.

Link!

(I'm not really sure if this is the "Home Improvement" series as mentioned earlier in another thread or another project, so I started a new thread.)

Ah...the Portsmouth Sinfonia lives!

You'll have to look them up on YouTube if you want a flavour. I can't post links from this computer.

Hey, HeyMySock!

Off topic I know, but if you're a connoisseur of crap, do check out Mrs Miller next time you're on YouTube. Excellent stuff!

This is no doubt the book that will tie in with the series. :)

Link to Amazon

The Man Book: Nine Essential Skills Your Father Didn't Teach You Because He Didn't Know How to Do Them Either

'I reckon there are about nine things a chap doesn?t realise he should be able to do. Not stuff you can download from the internet at the touch of the button, but really important things. So, in this book, each is dealt with fully, and it?s a good read rather than just boring facts. It?s a series of chapters with some light gaggery, but also solid information and plenty of nice pictures and diagrams.

'For example, in 'How to land an airliner' there is good background stuff about the likelihood of it ever falling to you (extremely unlikely), some stats on past dramas, plus good information on the controls, what they do and what they look like.

'There?s a range of subjects from the genuinely relevant ? how to deliver twins, for example ? to the absurd, such as how to play Beethoven's 'Moonlight Sonata', so there?s ample opportunity for me to rant, enthrall you with technical explanations and entrance you with interesting facts.' - James May

Would that mean the series will have nine episodes as well or is that just hopefull thinking?

Last edited:
Funny you should mention Mrs. Miller, I just recently dowloaded a few of her 'hits' onto the old iPod.

If you like this crap as much as I do, have you tried The Shaggs? Some really good stuff there.

Last edited:
Nine sounds a bit optimistic, six is more likely, but you never know your luck. To be honest, I doubt they're going to let him deliver twins, for a start. However, it sounds like a fun idea. Let's hope.

Ta for the tip, HeyMySock. I'll get 'Tubing.

This is no doubt the book that will tie in with the series.

Well spotted!

I read somewhere it'll air in November or December.

Looks like the press release is out. :)

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/b...ear-may-wants-to-be-a-real-man-14875933.html#

Top Gear May wants to be a real man

Top Gear presenter James May is undertaking a TV quest to turn him into more of a 'real man'

enlarge He already presents one of television's most testosterone-fuelled shows, but now James May is undertaking a TV quest to turn him into more of a "real man", it has been announced.
The long-haired Top Gear presenter, who has confessed to a love of toys and floral shirts, will enlist other lost souls for a new BBC2 series to test their manliness and brush up traditional skills.

James May's Man Lab is part of the channel's autumn and winter season, launched on Wednesday.

May's new entertainment show will see him embark on a course of tests designed to teach men the skills and knowledge possessed by their male ancestors.

Among the skills he will learn will be how to "woo a lady" and how to defuse a bomb.

May said: "Modern Man is in crisis. He has degenerated from the redoubtable pillar he became through centuries of refinement and slipped resignedly into the popular depiction of himself as a witless under-achiever, incapable of looking after himself or those around him. Man Lab is designed to reverse the rot."

Sounds like fun, but have to agree that the title could do with tweaking.

Let's hope the home improvement concept has bitten the dust.

Doesn't Hammond have a TV show with 'Lab' in the title? Maybe it's a little dig at that?

Although, I might have just made that up.

Doesn't Hammond have a TV show with 'Lab' in the title?

Blast Lab (science game show aimed at kids). That said, I don't think it's a dig at that.

Sounds like fun, but have to agree that the title could do with tweaking.

I think as long as "James May" is in the title, with the amount of cachet the man has/continues to gain, a show of his could be called James May's Earwax Emporium or James May's Return to Guam Vol 4 and succeed without second thoughts.

James May's Earwax Emporium

Somehow, somewhere, a would-be executive producer just went "Aha..."

:lol: I think James May's 101 Other Uses for Tampons would be a better title for some reason. ;)