James May's Man Lab

The beer thing was a little long, but still loved the point they made with it.
You should watch the Mythbusters' take on this, it's way simpler/clearer.

this season is pretty dissapointing comparing to the first 2 Seasons
Sadly, this.

How many episodes in this season anyway? Wikipedia knows nothing..

This series has been very patchy for me, personally. I have found many of the segments overlong and in ep 2 for the lead segment (capturing the lightning) to run in 2, 10 minute blocks without actually anything happening at the end struck me as very bad TV. OK not everything works and to show that in a live format programme is one thing but to use 20 minutes of something filmed 9 months ago and edited since smacks of not having enough stuff to fill the series. There are few nice touches but not enough for me to change my mind that this is a flawed format. Ratings appear to agree with me with ep1 on 1.87m and ep3 down to 1.18m. James is worth better than this.

Last edited:
:-/ I think tonight's episode was pretty much the low Point of Man Lab so far.

Liked the looking for the ring but I knew it was not going to be found. I used to live at the beach and people were out there every day at daybreak with metal detectors.

Didn't care for the junk mail train. Did enjoy Simmy's tantrum. I have to wonder why it takes James fifteen min a day to toss junk mail in the bin. I figure it is one min a week for me.

I have decided I need a Simmy living at my house.

I love Rory. He is really a good sport.

i agree, simmy and rory are awesome sidekicks. i enjoyed the mail train, it's something i would do; make something entirely too complex and convoluted just to do something simple. it's a bit of useless engineering fun.

I've been catching up on these over the last week. I didn't realise it was on until someone at work mentioned it, shows how much notice I take of this section of the forum.

Enjoyed every episode, wine tasting was my least favourite but with Oz and Rory it was still funny. Everything they do appeals to the engineer inside me, especially the water clock. What a superb piece of work that is, leaks and all.

R.I.P. Susan :mrgreen:

Fuck James. I want an Oz and Rory wine show, and I want it now.

Here's a behind-the-scenes look at the radio broadcast:
http://www.wiredbroadcast.com/downloads/James Mays Canal Trip RSL.pdf

I wonder if there's an mp3 of it out there...

I'd love to know if there's an mp3, as I was one of the people interviewed but my section didn't make it to the final cut. I played a silly 'guess who I am' game with James, and nearly defeated him, but as I was the first to play it there was a certain haziness about the rules.

The Lonely Hearts question he read out was mine though, the one about whether I should get a new man or a new cat. I'd been asked to prepare a question, they chose to record me playing the game, but obviously kept the question for James to use later. The experience was a lot of fun, but I wasn't allowed to talk about it until after the episode had been broadcast, and signed a disclaimer to that effect, which was understandable to my way of thinking.

This week's episode was pretty nice. I especially like the Table Fu?ball. Although I feel the next series should be called Sim Oakley's Man Lab.

Well, Sim was a project manager for Toy Stories as well, so I don't think it would happen.

If the program would be renamed at all, Sim and James' Man Lab is more likely. Anyway, why not?

Last edited: