James May's Man Lab

In terms of ratings, I don't think it's doing too badly.

These are from the Digitalspy's ratings thread and BARB's website.

Series 2 (including HD)
Ep 1: 2.36m
Ep 2: 2m
Ep 3: 2.11m

If we compare that to series 1, which admittedly was against Downton Abbey

Ep 1: 2.23m
Ep 2: 1.88m
Ep 3: 1.63m (this doesn't include HD)

Basically, if you take away the HD numbers the figures would drop slightly ie. 2.11m would actually be 2m.

The second series has definitely benefitted from being moved from Sunday to Tuesday where it has much less competition and as a result, the ratings have improved and been quite consistent.

Ooh, that's weird. I looked on BARB's website where they list top shows for each channel, and there was no sign of it (first and second eps should have been on there) and the numbers went down right down to just about 1m.

I take it all back - well done James.

Both SD & HD on FTP (apologies for delay, back to work so doing this right before I leave in the morning)

Also:

James.Mays.Man.Lab.S02E04.HDTV.XviD-FTP

James.Mays.Man.Lab.S02E04.720p.HDTV.x264-FTP

Thank you Mr Z, I was wondering about you and hoped that you were okay!

I have a slight audio problem on the copy from your FTP - I am trying to use a program to re-sync it but... I don't seem to be able to do it. It works if I change the audio and watch it on the computer, but I prefer to watch them on the TV. Can I ask if the copy you put on the FTP had an audio problem? Thanks :)

Last edited:
Holy crap. Why couldn't this have come out a week ago. In my P.E. class at school we had to literally analyse our own football kick in depth with slow-mo cameras and do a speech about it. I did the speech yesterday and then this comes out, with him pointing out some of the same faults as me.

Freaky :blink:

Thank you Mr Z, I was wondering about you and hoped that you were okay!

I have a slight audio problem on the copy from your FTP - I am trying to use a program to re-sync it but... I don't seem to be able to do it. It works if I change the audio and watch it on the computer, but I prefer to watch them on the TV. Can I ask if the copy you put on the FTP had an audio problem? Thanks :)

Apparently the original release was out of synch, so I've updated my FTP with the repack (fixed copy).

Updated HTTP links as well

James.Mays.Man.Lab.S02E04.REPACK.HDTV.XviD-FTP

Ahhhh MR Z! You're all kinds of amazing <3 Thank you. I had started to watch, thinking I'd just put up with it and not look at James' mouth :) I only watched 10 mins or so, so this is fabulous.

I enjoyed the heck out of this series. 3 was my favorite.

I didn't like that bathroom garden. It reminded me of a show I saw about the earth after people where nature was reclaiming everything back, but I did like the rabbits.

the only thing i didn't like about the bathroom garden is you can't actually go to the bathroom in it anymore. all the urinals and bowls were filled with plants. also, there are rabbits. i don't like being watched while i do my business :p

So! My review of episode 4. I think it's pretty hard to top episode 3 (Pets in Space), but this episode was also a very enjoyable watch. That Simmy's a very clever chap, but then again so's James. Blows me away with the intelligence of this man time and time again. Loved the boat building. Poor James was rubbish at football but we've been seeing for years he's not a sporty chap at all. That was probably the most he's run in his life. Still, he did seem to improve a lot and seemed quite excited when he scored his first goal... shame he didn't manage it on the field.

Something I love in James' shows are his little references to other people. Oz Clarke and Hammond for example, and also the quotes from other people that he gives throughout.

Well done James & crew. I look forward to the Christmas episode.

also, there are rabbits. i don't like being watched while i do my business

Bathroom rabbits are very discreet. Personally, I'd have been more concerned about that cactus.

I just finished watching 4 again. James says he made a bit of a donkey of himself, but he didn't. In a very short amount of time he learned how to score a goal and he very nearly did it. Professional players that have been scoring goals for a big part of their lives with far more intensive training have missed too. I think he made a very crediable effort. At the age of 48 to boot.

It really was very enjoyable to watch. Without wishing to sound disparaging - much improved over the first season. It was much more polished.

The space funeral turned out very well. Loved it.

I think James had a lot of cojones to do the free kick thing in front of all those people (and indeed to wear that snug white electronic outfit earlier). :lol:

Also agree the khazi should've been left functional. Seems like that's an important thing in a man's world - a superior bathroom, as they spend a lot of quality reading time in there. Well, my BF does anyway. Loved the rabbits.

Disappointed to see Sim wears a wedding ring. I was hoping he'd marry me and build a fabulous deck on the back of my house. ;)

Well done, Our James.

The Christmas episode of Man Lab will be shown on BBC 2 on December 18th at 8.00pm. It will be followed by Brian Cox's Christmas lecture, where James will make aguest appearance. :)

James May Night is a go! :)

The Christmas episode of Man Lab will be shown on BBC 2 on December 18th at 8.00pm. It will be followed by Brian Cox's Christmas lecture, where James will make aguest appearance. :)

I wish the Brian Cox Christmas lecture was by the actor Brian Cox in his Super Troopers character. It will be interesting none the less.

Sneak preview!

[video=youtube;--PrvxUEviE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--PrvxUEviE&feature=g-all&list=PL826A941D29FD6BB2[/video]

Oz makes an appearance again as well.

[video=youtube;r6TuG9VWN-M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6TuG9VWN-M[/video]

Last edited: