James May: James May's Toy Stories Special - Flight Club

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Just seen the following tweet from May:

James May ?@MrJamesMay

The Toy Stories special, Flight Club, will be on Sunday 23 December at 9.30pm. It's about flying toys. I become slightly emotional. #Plug

Presume it will be on BBC2 but also HD hopefully.

:thumbsup:

Description from BBC2... I cannot wait for this one!

In this epic Toy Stories Christmas Special, James May gets to the heart of the nation?s childhood love-affair with the model plane, and sets out to achieve what seems an impossible dream: the first cross channel flight ever achieved by an engineless, homemade supersized toy. If it survives the perilous 22-mile journey, James?s classic toy glider lovingly built from over 1,000 pieces of balsa will smash the British distance record.

Underpinned throughout by James?s own infectious passion for flight, his mission is dedicated to making the dream of flight come true for the generations of children who, like James himself, slaved for hours over balsa and glue only to see their fragile and much-loved planes smash tragically onto the unyielding concrete of reality.

During his quest, James turns Indiana Jones to unearth surprising new evidence that identifies children as the true pioneers of flight, and wrestles with an underperforming glider that threatens to barely leave the ground. From a visit to a mysterious and barely inhabited island to helicopters lost in the fog and missing speedboats, Flight Club is an epic journey into the unexpected, culminating in a thrilling and visually stunning last throw of the dice.

- - - Updated - - -

Presume it will be on BBC2 but also HD hopefully.

Yep... Sunday @ 9.30pm-10.30pm on BBC2 and BBC HD. Hoping that the torrent shows up soon after for us Americans!

Last edited:
Wow what an awesome show! I think this may very well be the best of the Toy Stories so far.

Shush! I haven't seen it yet!

Getting the torrent off of a private tracker right now, so it'll be showing up everywhere soon.

EXECELLENT! A very enjoyable watch. Maybe the best Toy Story so far. Good to see Dr. Ben and Simmy.

(He's the really stupid one. ROFL)

As usual, a great episode in the non-award winning Toy Stories series. Let's hope it will become an annual thing. :)

I did a quick scan on Twitter and overall everybody loved it, also the non die-hard fans. I'll be spending Christmas learning how to make an aeroplane.

21814.jpg

There is also a video, can't embed it, but here's the link: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-12-10/james-mays-ultimate-paper-plane

EXECELLENT! A very enjoyable watch. Maybe the best Toy Story so far. Good to see Dr. Ben and Simmy.

(He's the really stupid one. ROFL)

this. awesome episode! had me really going along and hoping their stuff would work :)

I just made the paper plane and I can confirm it flies quite well.

Simmy and Dr. Ben, cool, but no Oz? This really needed his kibitzing.

I'm not rapturous over this. It just felt like there was a great deal of padding, for some reason. They had a time slot, and they had to fill it. It just didn't seem to connect like most Toy Stories have (despite the fact that I didn't play with any of those toys as a youth due to geography and interest, and I'm roughly the same age as May).

Then again, the whole episode was ruined for me through the use of the horrid cover of 99 Luftbalons. In English, no less. No, no, no. You do not fuck with Nena. I don't care if she herself sung a version in English. That version should never be played again.

Last edited:
As usual, a great episode in the non-award winning Toy Stories series. Let's hope it will become an annual thing. :)

I did a quick scan on Twitter and overall everybody loved it, also the non die-hard fans. I'll be spending Christmas learning how to make an aeroplane.

21814.jpg

There is also a video, can't embed it, but here's the link: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-12-10/james-mays-ultimate-paper-plane

:D i did build them the same way as a school kid, altough i did the middle peg smaller to make the wings bigger.

Once again a fantastic bit of television.....somebody buy everyone involved a beer.

I was working last night so I've only just been able to watch it, and I have to say...:bow:

That was one of the finest pieces of television I have seen in a very long time. Hilariously funny, spectacularly spectacular and absolutely beautiful all at the same time. Well done to all involved!

12 out of 10: 10 points for the actual programme plus 1 point for the use of Foo Fighters and plus another point for James' "awesomesauce".

Added to FTP, \HostShows\James May\James.Mays.Toy.Stories.S01.Special.480p.HDTV.x264-mSD.mkv

Just do make sure its the right file. Theres an alternative that's a larger file size, but I am limited by space.

Ohhh thanks! :wub:

Added to FTP, \HostShows\James May\James.Mays.Toy.Stories.S01.Special.480p.HDTV.x264-mSD.mkv

Just do make sure its the right file. Theres an alternative that's a larger file size, but I am limited by space.

I dont see it there. :-(