James Morrison's "Behind The Wheel" 1994 Pilot

FinalGear

I'm A Bot!
CarAdvice.com.au has the very 1990's-style "Behind The Wheel" pilot, an Australian automotive TV show hosted by the new Top Gear Australia host, James Morrison. This was long before Top Gear came to Australia (I assume) and long before the current format of Top Gear.

Here's the first part, the other 2 parts are at their site.

Click here to view the embedded video.

If you ignore the 90's-ness of it, he's actually not half bad.

Posted By: Viper007Bond
Link: http://www.finalgear.com/news/2008/12/20/james-morrisons-behind-the-wheel-1994-pilot/

Those eposides are spectacular and include practical issues. And it seems that J. Morrison can handle a car. But what's most important, he has a charisma!

He lies! The Diablo is not a fantastic handling car!

He's better than Cox though

I reckon James Morrison will be good, but I reckon Frank The Mechanic would be better!

I think it's a coup that James Morrison was willing and available to do the series. Strangely, the only test I can remember from when the show originally aired was his test of a one-man hovercraft. If I recall correctly it had a really bad timeslot like Sunday 3:30pm or something.
I wonder where he will fit in with the existing cast though, if he will be given the main host role despite being the newbie. I'm now picturing forced camaraderie and scripted jokes though, hopefully they will adopt a more free-range format along with the new host, rather than trying to imitate the original trio.

Well I'll be buttered on both sides!!

Behind the Wheel was actually pretty good! And so is Morrison!

For a 15 year old pilot it looks better in some areas than TGA. The light plane over the Diablo and the reversing bits were bloody great.

I can't believe I'm saying this - Roll on TGA season 2!!!

:)

I also can't believe that last 4 posts were from Adelaidians!

There's a worthwhile article in the news today entitled 'Why we can't get enough of smug Jeremy Clarkson'.
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24827809-5007191,00.html

At one point, it says:

"Top Gear fever has indeed infected the world. The UK show is broadcast to about 100 countries, including Australia on SBS, and this year we had a crack at our own home-grown version, with the launch of Top Gear Australia.

As watchable as it was, and there will be a second series, it did drive home that the Jeremy Clarkson Factor is not something that can be copied. Many were disappointed at the perceived "dumbing down" by Australian hosts Warren Brown, Charlie Cox and Steve Pizzati."

We can only hope that the dumbing down will end with the replacement of Charlie Cox by James Morrison. After watching 'Behind the Wheel' though, I don't expect it's likely to happen.

Morrison would probably be a great host if he were in team that included somebody else with a genuine 'risky attitude gene', but the updated TGA combo still lacks that. Pity.

<snip>
Morrison would probably be a great host if he were in team that included somebody else with a genuine 'risky attitude gene', but the updated TGA combo still lacks that. Pity.

Warren taking a dump on national TV doesn't qualify as risky to you? :|

The thing about Clarkson, is that we've had 20 years to get used to his 'ways' and he's been slowly pushing the envelope that entire time too.

As sad as it may seem, I can't think of a single commentator in any field in this country who mirrors his level of rebellion, respect, intelligence and a unique insight into the common man.

At the risk of a flaming, Red Symons?

In all honesty they should have replaced Charlie Cox with Monica. <3

Warren taking a dump on national TV doesn't qualify as risky to you? :|

No it doesn't. That's no different to what you'd see on Jackass. What I'm talking about is having the capacity to insert intelligent, perceptive and sometimes subversive commentary on society, humanity and politics into Top Gear stories.

Taking a dump on TV is kiddies play and doesn't do anything except make people laugh or throw up. Clarkson, on the other hand, can influence governments and make people think about the behaviour of humanity with his 'risky-attitude-gene'.

No it doesn't. That's no different to what you'd see on Jackass. What I'm talking about is having the capacity to insert intelligent, perceptive and sometimes subversive commentary on society, humanity and politics into Top Gear stories.

Taking a dump on TV is kiddies play and doesn't do anything except make people laugh or throw up. Clarkson, on the other hand, can influence governments and make people think about the behaviour of humanity with his 'risky-attitude-gene'.

I think you are expecting far too much. There is no-one (and there never has been anyone) on Australian television capable of intelligent, perceptive, subversive social commentary. What makes you think Top Gear Australia can magic up such individuals against the tide of plastic mediocrity that purports to inform and entertain us?

I think you are expecting far too much. There is no-one (and there never has been anyone) on Australian television capable of intelligent, perceptive, subversive social commentary. What makes you think Top Gear Australia can magic up such individuals against the tide of plastic mediocrity that purports to inform and entertain us?

I'm foolish enough to believe and hope that we can change at least one show produced in Australia into something that stands against the endless tide of local mediocrity.

I know it's a big ask, but I don't... and won't... believe it isn't possible.

I also believe that we DO have people here who are perfectly capable of making and hosting such a show. The networks just need to grow the balls to try something different.

I'm foolish enough to believe and hope that we can change at least one show produced in Australia into something that stands against the endless tide of local mediocrity.

I want to see that too, I really do. But I can't see it happening with people like Scott Young at the helm. He's hardly a 'pioneer'.

I want to see that too, I really do. But I can't see it happening with people like Scott Young at the helm. He's hardly a 'pioneer'.

It seems that Young's "vision" for series one ? or more to the point, the lack of it ? will certainly ensure he maintains that reputation.

I know it's a big ask, but I don't... and won't... believe it isn't possible.

I also believe that we DO have people here who are perfectly capable of making and hosting such a show. The networks just need to grow the balls to try something different.

Newstopia? Or by extension, most of Shaun Micallef's shows?

Newstopia? Or by extension, most of Shaun Micallef's shows?

Good call Myron. Since Newstopia is provocative and also an SBS show, you have to wonder why Top Gear Australia has been so noticeably unprovocative?

Maybe it's because TGA is classified as 'factual' and SBS aren't as prepared to take risks with that as they will with comedy /satire? Or maybe the show's executive producer just doesn't understand that aspect of Top Gear's appeal?

Good call Myron. Since Newstopia is provocative and also an SBS show, you have to wonder why Top Gear Australia has been so noticeably unprovocative?

Maybe it's because TGA is classified as 'factual' and SBS aren't as prepared to take risks with that as they will with comedy /satire? Or maybe the show's executive producer just doesn't understand that aspect of Top Gear's appeal?

Well, I'd say that being provocative isn't exactly an easy thing to do and therefore TGA ends up being more on the mediocre side. It'll be interesting to see how it ends up with Morisson instead of Cox.

Anyway, just posting this because Shaun Micallef owns and definitely needs to be interviewed on TGA.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_td1X_c5Gg[/YOUTUBE]