Jasonof2000 goes to the Ford ST Octane Academy, lots of pictures.

jasonof2000

Car(s)
2013 Lincoln MKT, 2002 Miata SE, 2012 Honda NC700
Over the weekend I went to the Ford ST Octane Academy.
http://www.stoctaneacademy.com/

When I arrived at Salt Lake City I went to the Budget Fast Pass counter to get the car I rented (I picked something along the lines of a Fiesta or a Soul) and they asked if I wanted to upgrade to a Mustang GT for $5.00 a day... How could I resist?

It was an automatic but it was still a very likeable car.

Things started with a dinner and reception at the Ken Block Hooniverse facility. I didn't get many pictures since my phone was critically low on battery and the actual reception area was a no photography area.

In the back area where no photography was permitted was a Ford Raptor with tank treads and a pair of Fiesta rally cars in various states of damage/repair. The dinner was pretty good and we watched an introduction video of what was going to happen the next day. I also got a gaudy Hooniverse t-shirt.

The next morning I showed up at Miller Motorsports early to look at the museum before everything began. It is an impressive collection.

The event started with a half hour of classroom time and getting everyone fitted for helmets and ugly red coveralls.

Driving for my group started with doing reverse J-turns in a Fiesta ST. After that it was forward J turns and 180 handbrake turns in a Focus ST. The cars are stock, except the rear seats are removed, roll bars added as well as four point harnesses, also a rally style hand brake and secondary rear braking system for the hand brake. The Focus ST's also had a Ford racing exhaust that I liked at first but began to annoy me as the day went on.

Next was a low traction skid car using a Ford Fusion in a crazy looking rig.

After that my group had a couple lap drive through of the east course in a Econoline van by one of the instructors.

After lunch we did lead/follow with the students trading out every few laps between a Fiesta and a Focus while the instructors lead in a Mustang, the pace was about 60 mph.

Next up we had what was a glorified autocross they called the Urban-X.

The 3 practice runs were in Fiestas and the 3 timed runs were in the Focus.

Next up was more track time. You got to pick your car, I choose the Focus. First you have two laps with the instructor sitting besides you then 5+ (I lost count but more than 5) laps by yourself. I felt I did pretty good on that. I was first off in my group and by the end no one was in my rear view mirror.

Last event was the instructor hot laps with me as the passenger. That was spectacular. It changed my perspective what that car was capable of.

Lastly there was a little graduation ceremony where you got a certificate, a nifty looking trophy and most importantly black ST badges to replace the red ones on your car.