Jazz lovers?

DTMracer

Car(s)
1988 Mini Cooper, 1998 MB E55 AMG
Any Jazz lovers around here? I recently purchased a CD by Melody Gardot, and its absolutely brilliant.

I'm not too much into Jazz but I listen to some from time to time. My initiation was with St.Germain although it is not exactly jazz. Then in the music thread somebody posted about the "Playboy: Jazz After Dark Collection". So I got both volumes and all I can say I love listening to them.

I am a huge jazz fan, I listen to everything in Jazz, from old right up to modern stuff.

I listen to a lot of Jazz; I dont really have an extensive catalog, but everyday I listen to his radio station.

I think, for certain styles like Bebop, you need to have a brain than excepts the unusual musically.

I guess I was really taken by Melody Gardot's voice, which so smooth and full of emotion. She sounds closer to 30 than 22 in her album.

I guess Norah Jones sort of kick started my love of Jazz as well, but I notice that Norah Jone's music is a lot more on the lively side of things compared to Melody Gardot.

Anyone got some good recommendations?

i'm more into the old sound. Cant go wrong with coltrane and hank mobly. Also miles davis kind of blue

I love jazz. Jazz band every year kept me in the band program throughout high school.

I'm not a big fan of modern jazz, but I love the classic big band style. Glenn Miller Orchestra, that kind of thing. There are some exceptions to the "new" jazz rule, notably Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and the Royal Crown Revue.

I have tons, Chris Potter is the new hot sax player, taking Breaker's place. For Trumpet Terrence Blanchard for a kind of post bop miles' sound, or Roy Hargrove for a more modern play on things. For Piano, Brad Mehldau is a newer player offered some great stuff in a more modern style. For Drums Bill Stewart, For Guitar Methany and Mike Stern, though you guys might know of them. For Bass there is a lot of action going on there, for electric Wooten, who many of you probably know. Brain Bromberg for both, and for Upright Charnet Moffet and Christian McBride. Of coarse this is just a short list of mine, I have many many more people I could recommend and I have quite an extensive collection of jazz.

Here's some of my recommendations, in no particular order:

Definitely check out Bill Evans, both solo and with his trio. Incredible piano stuff. My current favorite.
Cyrus Chestnut does some good, more modern piano stuff.
If you like latin jazz and trumpet, Arturo Sandoval is a must-have.
Get some Clifford Brown for THE bebop trumpet stuff.
Don't forget about Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker.
Roy Eldridge has some more good older trumpet stuff.
Female Vocals: Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughan
Conrad Herwig did some remakes of Kind of Blue and Sketches of Spain (both Miles Davis records) that are really good.
Stefon Harris is a current vibraphonist. Great stuff there.
Wynton Marsalis comes up in classical trumpet stuff but he's an awesome jazz trumpeter too.
Check out some Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea too, but sample from both old and new. Their styles changed over different times.

hmm. Sounds good, but its going to take ages to all those tracks!

EDIT: Its been really frustrating the past couple of days trying to search for more female jazz singers. The older stuff doesn't really appeal to me, as I like the way a good female jazz singer can really melt your heart.

73GMCSPRINT: Enjoying Melody Gardot?

Last edited:
as a resident of new orleans, i would have to say i'm also a jazz lover :) I play in a jazz/fusion band here. I also get to work regularly with some internationally recognized players including ellis marsalis, donald harrison, henry butler, terence blanchard, marcus roberts, roland guerin...here are some photos.

for listening and my own playing.... the fusion work borne out of davis' "bitch's brew" is what it's all about. mahavishnu orchestra, weather report, return to forever, brand X...most recently I've been stuck on the george duke/stanley clarke project :)

Her voice is brilliant isn't it?

Nothing turns me on more than a good female vocalist.

Her story is awesome too.

I'm going to actually buy this one. $6.29 for Barnes & Noble members :)

I can really relate to her story, as I had a traffic accident myself earlier in the year and I still need constant physiotherapy now. I also had a big head impact, and ever since then I've found myself changing a lot.

I like Jazz, but I don't know much about the who's who. Jazz fm is the only radio station I listen to in the car when I listen to the radio.

well, what type of jazz are you into? Are you into the old school stuff like Miles Davis, or are you like me and more into modern, smooth jazz like Diana Krall, Melody Gardot, Norah Jones and Madeline Peyroux?