JC on the VW Golf GT (TSI)

mmap

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-2505907,00.html

I was rather suprised by this article... I've read nothing but praise for this new engine and now JC says its crap..??

Also, how on earth is it possible that JC complains about the lights being set up too high when every single car has had adjustable lights since circa 1991 (by law) and if the lights were too high then there is simply a little switch somewhere in the cockpit to turn them down...

Are you sure thats not a Finland only type rule? For sure in the US that is not the case, and while i know UK is considered in the EU, is this something that is required for all EU cars?
Also some cars have auto adjustable (something that is here in the US) and those you cant change the pitch yourself, its all up to the computer.

Someone forgot their nicotine patch. But I did enjoy reading it, it was a little like reading Douglas Adams. The mysterious button and Cornwall, it's a bit surreal.

Also, how on earth is it possible that JC complains about the lights being set up too high when every single car has had adjustable lights since circa 1991 (by law) and if the lights were too high then there is simply a little switch somewhere in the cockpit to turn them down...

OFFTOPIC: Really? :blink: Here only high-end cars have this. Everyone else has to manually adjust the lights turning screws on the headlights...

Even the cheapest car, a basic Hyundai Atos Prime, manufactured in Pakistan, have adjustable headlights. So I suppose it is a EU-requirement, as we have harmonised the legislation. Then the UK prides themselves on being wrong, so perhaps they've made an exception. On the more expensive cars the regulation is electronic though, and it is possible Jezza couldnt figure out how to tamper with the evil computer, or it is broken.

No you can adjust them, but it doesn't mean that they still can't be too high though. IMO it is an odd complaint however.

No you can adjust them, but it doesn't mean that they still can't be too high though. IMO it is an odd complaint however.

When you look hard enough, you can critizise almost every car - the fact that JC has a go at the light adjustment shows me that the car cannot be that bad - he loved the Mk V GTI, afterall (Which most probably has the very same adjustment level)

One of the five worst cars ever made

^Was never expecting that from him! I think he's against the TSI concept rather than the car itself. We know he likes the Golf, its just this engine which he feels was rather complicated and lacked smoothness.

I'd say he did not like the car. A button marked W with no apparant purpose, and is not in the handbook, how 'un-german'.

Now, AiR, lets get this right, the UK is the only country in the EU that puts into law all EU Legislation and enforces it.

I'd love the TSI-engine-thingy in a Polo.

With me?

Err, the Polo was criticised by German motor magazines for its general unsporty layout, so if you're hoping to get something like an ultimate hot hatch, you might be disappointed.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-2505907,00.html

I was rather suprised by this article... I've read nothing but praise for this new engine and now JC says its crap..??

yeah that only adjusts the angle of the lights

their height is still the same

Even the cheapest car, a basic Hyundai Atos Prime, manufactured in Pakistan, have adjustable headlights. So I suppose it is a EU-requirement, as we have harmonised the legislation. Then the UK prides themselves on being wrong, so perhaps they've made an exception. On the more expensive cars the regulation is electronic though, and it is possible Jezza couldnt figure out how to tamper with the evil computer, or it is broken.

yep

there are guidelines in every car manual telling you which setting you need for various loads

1-2 passangers in setting 0-1 on my focus i think

if you fill the car up with people then you set it to 3-4 to angle them back down as they will be pointing further skyward the more the back end of the car sinks due to extra weight. stops you from dazzling other drivers

Last edited:
I'd say he did not like the car. A button marked W with no apparant purpose, and is not in the handbook, how 'un-german'.

Now, AiR, lets get this right, the UK is the only country in the EU that puts into law all EU Legislation and enforces it.

probably the reason this country is going to the dogs

Err, the Polo was criticised by German motor magazines for its general unsporty layout, so if you're hoping to get something like an ultimate hot hatch, you might be disappointed.
But for christ sake, VW can modify it.

But no, I did not expect a Polo GTI Snort Truster X1, I'm just saying that with a well sorted chassis and a light, strong engine would be interesting.

And why not a Polo R14? A sort of long distance Autobahn Polo. :lol:

Yeah, maybe I should have specified that it is an EU thing, the light adjustment...

And if its the actual height of the lights, then surely it would be the same problem in each Golf model, not just something to whine about this particular model? So it has to be the angle (which can be adjusted...)

Well you can also adjust Finland to that list, we're nothing if not anal about following every stupid law and regulation Brussels throws into effect... (with the only exeption of importing cars from other EU nations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Doesn't make sense - you must have at least a Golf in order to get the left lane blockers right off your way, no one's going to let you pass in a Polo. ;)

That's part of the fun, going fast in a postage stamp. :tease:

"I like the power delivery of an engine to be smooth, like a ball bearing rolling down a child?s playground slide. In the GT it?s delivered with the smoothness of someone in a wheelchair falling down some stairs.

don't know where that came from but it was funny as hell :lmao: