Jean Todt and his 240Z

Z Draci

I knew the 240Z competed in the Monte Carlo Rally. But I never knew Jean Todt was one of the factory drivers! :lol:

72AaltonenToddNo5Award.jpg

Here are some pictures of the car in Monte Carlo trim.
MontiZFront.jpg

MontiZSide.jpg

MontiZInterior.jpg

The 240Z placed second in class, fifth and tenth overall in 1971. Then Rauno Aaltonen and Jean Todt placed third overall in 1972. In 1973, it only managed ninth overall. Unlike the WRC of today, less than half the cars actually finished the entire rally without retirements.

I know this is random trivia but as a 240Z owner I thought it was cool that a man like Jean Todt actually had connections to it. He is the chief director of Scuderia Ferrari F1 after all.

WOW, great find!!

whats that pack of whiteish/yellowish powder in th last pic? :shock: :eek:

He was even uglier back then...

He won the rally championship as a co-driver one year, and then headed the Peugeot rally team in the 80s before moving onto F1.

nissan?

didn't they get that name after the 240z era?

Yes, this is Ferrari's Jean Todt. :D

Datsun always had Nissan logos and badges all over the engine, etc. They made it clear that Datsun was a Nissan product. When they officially changed their name from Datsun to Nissan, the sales of their cars actually dropped dramatically. It's only until the Ghosn takeover that Nissan recovered from their lack of sales. (In Japan, Nissan was always Nissan. It's because Nissan literally translates to "Sun Products" that they probably went with Datsun in the beginning.)

And I think that pack of "power" in the last pic is just a bag of coordinates or even race notes. (No, I don't think the drivers got stimulated with white power during the race.)