Votes: 24 57.1%
  • 2011 Ford Explorer

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • 2011 Dodge Durango

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • 2011 Honda Pilot

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
Wow, I'm the only vote for the Honda Pilot. The 3.5L has got great legs, interior is comfy on every model, and I've been able to eek out 26 mpg on one before.

]So will that reliability cost the Cherokee and Durango some of their SUV qualities? That remains to be seen and I'll revise my judgement once the Fiat-built models have been on the road for a few years and proven themselves.

The 2011 GC is still based off of the Merc ML and built in the same plants as the last generation.

Wow, I'm the only vote for the Honda Pilot. The 3.5L has got great legs, interior is comfy on every model, and I've been able to eek out 26 mpg on one before.

And taking one with even a moderate load over a washboard graded road will destroy the suspension.

i'm more surprised that people voted for the Ford Explorer. i was looking on the link for the Ford and realized that the 2011 is now a unibody, FWD SUV now. i guess it was something the Explorer was always meant to be, i guess?

If I wanted a vehicle for road use I would probably go with the Explorer. I knew of the redesign and I actually like it for what it is. The problem is that crossovers are not a segment that really interests me at all since I have the X for utility and real off-road use.

For street use I would rather have a regular car.

i'm more surprised that people voted for the Ford Explorer. i was looking on the link for the Ford and realized that the 2011 is now a unibody, FWD SUV now. i guess it was something the Explorer was always meant to be, i guess?

Yep, and soon to be powered by a 2.0 liter turbo 4 cyl.

I wouldn't go for any of them

I would buy a Land Cruiser, or a Pathfinder

"if you get a Honda you end up with a Honda." - Jeremy Clarkson

Honda already makes a better towing vehicle than the Pilot.

retriever_towing_motorcycle.jpg

To be honest, it's the closest you can get to a Taurus wagon, which would be fantastic but unlikely to show up because of the silly crossover craze. That's why I like it.

Besides, if you want off road, there were always better options than the Explorer, so it's not like going unibody is a huge loss.

Ford did make the Taurus X for a while, but it was nixed to make room for the new Explorer.

Ford just announced that their MPG in AWD beats/matches all other competitors in 2WD

I picked the Explorer for three very important reasons:
  • It looks a hell of a lot better than the other three.
  • I love Ford
  • Ford is deciding to be smart and use some technology with the EcoBoost I4 instead of the same old tired V6 this and V8 that.

By offering a smaller engine shows good business sense and more importantly better value with a lower MSRP to potential buyers who want the space while not having to pay for it. No the Explorer doesn't haul or tow as much as the others but honestly the buyers for this segment will rarely put more than camping gear and or their family's stuff in the boot. The most they will do is haul a jetski or two--that all three can do with ease. And the EcoBoost 4cyl gets almost the same power as the 3.5L Honda V6--that's sad. And having not only word for a Ford dealer for years but having a step-dad manage said dealer for almost 15 years I feel I have a bit of insight on the buyers (and owners) of this segment.

The current Explorer is in no way similar to the 4Runner. The 4Runner is massive by comparison, has true 4WD instead of AWD and is closer to an early 1990s Land Cruiser than a modern unibody crossover.

Last edited:
The 4Runner is massive by comparison

That doesn't make sense

4Runner
Height 71.5
Width 75.8
Length 189.9
Wheelbase 109.8
Seating 5/7
Clearance 9.0

Explorer
Height 70.4
Width 78.9
Length 197.1
Wheelbase 112.6
Seating 7
Clearance 7.6

Sorry, I intended to say the 2011 Explorer, not the current one.