Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will they continue this series? Which I assume is part of the outgoing contract. There should still be a couple of episodes outstanding! JC owes that to us fans!

The episodes have been filmed supposedly it's just a matter of getting them ready to air.

One problem is that JC was a major writer of those episodes. Even without the in-studio bits, the BBC is going to be in a sticky spot with this because industry rules (as I understand them) require them to credit *and pay* JC for the work if it gets aired among other problems. They can't even use *any* significant parts that were done based off his work without his permission. Since the BBC let the contract lapse, that's going to be a huge can of worms.

Pretty sure we're not going to see the remaining three episodes any time soon, if ever.

Last edited:
As no one could be bothered to paste it here (and thereby saving it for the future):

Well, at least we left ?em wanting more. And that alone, when you think about it, is quite an achievement for a show that started 13 years ago. I know none of us wanted it to end this way, but for a moment I?d like us to look back and think about just what an incredible thing you all had a hand in creating. When Jane Root gave us the green light in 2002, the brief was to reinvigorate a car show and get an audience of three million. What you all ended up making was one of the most iconic programmes in TV history, a show about cars that went global, won countless awards, was devoured by non car fans and ended up in the Guinness Book of Records.

We had a lot of laughs, we had a lot of tiffs. We went to amazing places and we went to some shitholes. We nearly killed a presenter, we had to run for the border. We started off with whoever we could get in the Reasonably Priced Car, and ended up with Tom Cruise. Throughout all this we made television that was beautiful to look at and beautiful to listen to. The work ethic never slipped, the desire for everyone in this dysfunctional family to do right by the show never faltered. Jeremy, Richard and James, as the visible tip of the iceberg, got most of the attention and praise, but you all in your own fields had such an immense hand in weaving this unforgettable tapestry. I would love to single out everybody by name to thank them for what they did, but it?s impossible and I?d forget someone I shouldn?t have and that would be crap, so I?ll just say Jim, I?m sorry we never got a bear to drive an automatic.

For those of you who still rely on it for work, don?t worry, because the BBC will make sure the show continues. Our stint as guardians of Top Gear was a good one, but we were only part of the show?s history, not the whole of it. Those two words are bigger than us.
Anyway, when you?re feeling low in your working day at any point, look around at some of the crap on TV, then have a think about Top Gear, 2002- 2015, and say to yourself: ?I made that.?
A big, big, big thank you, which will never be enough.

Andy.

But I heard somewhere that the editors were prepping the final three episodes for airing them in the near future. They also said that they were working on a LaFerrari vs 918 vs P1 bonus episode. Again, I just read this somewhere. I don't know whether to trust this info or not.

I guess that confirms that Jeremy, Richard, James and Andy will now move away from BBC together as a team and make their own show. At least I am hoping that they will.

Whether you like Clarkson or hate him, whether you think the BBC's termination was enough, too much or not enough, the way the BBC handled this should make anyone with two brain cells to rub together think long and hard about working for a BBC production ever again. Back in the 90s as a kid working on a show I ran into a Brit ex-pat gaffer (electrician) who told me that if I ever worked a production and the BBC got involved in it, I should run like hell. If I didn't before, I certainly can see why now.

- - - Updated - - -

But I heard somewhere that the editors were prepping the final three episodes for airing them in the near future. They also said that they were working on a LaFerrari vs 918 vs P1 bonus episode. Again, I just read this somewhere. I don't know whether to trust this info or not.

Didn't say it was impossible, just that it could be difficult. Obviously, I don't know what the terms of the contracts are and perhaps it does allow them to do that (which would be a little unusual) or JC gave his permission. I was just pointing out some of the reasons why one shouldn't reasonably expect them any time soon. It would be nice if they could work it out, but even if all parties are amicable this sort of problem over rights can be difficult and time consuming to solve - look back at all the Writers' Guild strikes in Hollywood over the years and how that's affected things.

Last edited:

I cannot see us getting the last 3 episodes as separate episodes. They may well be able to show the films themselves linked together by James and Richard in the style of one of the TG 'Top 41' type clip compilations that Richard has done previously - possibly as a 90 minute special. That could work. Alternatively I guess they could release the films on a DVD. TBH I'm not sure I want to see whatever they were doing in Yorkshire when everything went tits up but I really would like to see the footage of them trying and kill Richard for the final time when he was filmed wing-walking towards the end of one of the shoots.

As for the LaFerrari/P1/918 showdown.....all of Jeremy's older Christmas Videos and DVDs were done independantly, not under the TG banner. Between the guys they have enough clout (and not to mention production companies) to do this long awaited showdown in the same sort of way. In fact they could probably raise enough finance to do a whole series independantly....

Whether you like Clarkson or hate him, whether you think the BBC's termination was enough, too much or not enough, the way the BBC handled this should make anyone with two brain cells to rub together think long and hard about working for a BBC production ever again. Back in the 90s as a kid working on a show I ran into a Brit ex-pat gaffer (electrician) who told me that if I ever worked a production and the BBC got involved in it, I should run like hell. If I didn't before, I certainly can see why now.

While punching a colleague is never right, the more I've thought about this issue the more I'm annoyed with the BBC. Could the incompetent monkeys at the helm of the BBC really not have atleast let the series finish before the investigation was undertaken? For being paid such fucking ridiculous amounts of money, the people at the top at the BBC clearly fail to think objectively in many cases. The objective was seemingly just to satisfy the lefties who hate the guts of Jeremy and wanted him out no matter the consequences. They really did conclude on something with no positive outcome for any of them. I completely fail to believe that this was the only possibility.

I personally hold the tiniest of hope that the BBC will somehow run back to the trio with open arms in about 6 months when they realise that Top Gear is hopeless without them, but I'm guessing the lefties will enforce some lame-ass presenters with fuck-all gist of how to broadcast entertainment.

If the trio really were to start something new, I actually agree that something like an original series on Netflix (we've all seen how f.ex House of Cards has taken off) could be a really good fit, rather than traditional TV. Ad breaks every 10-15 min is intolerable sometimes.

Last edited:
I honestly think this whole thing was f****d up by BBC because they were catching so much flak for the Saville crap. They wanted desperately to prove that they learned a lesson and it wasn't going to happen again. They went from one extreme to the other, losing any possibility of using common sense.

Top Gear Specials

Jeremy Clarkson to sign an exclusive presenting deal with Netflix by 2016
3/1

Clarkson, Hammond and May all to sign exclusive presenting deals with Sky by 2016
7/2

Clarkson, Hammond and May all to sign exclusive presenting deals with ITV by 2016
5/1

Jeremy Clarkson to open a steakhouse restaurant in 2015
6/1

Jeremy Clarkson to win UK Celebrity Big Brother by 2017
10/1

Jeremy Clarkson to stand for UKIP in GE 2015
16/1

Jeremy Clarkson to be next revealed as The Stig
25/1

Jeremy Clarkson to stand for the Conservative Party in Dudley North in GE 2015
40/1

Jeremy Clarkson to release an exercise DVD in 2015
50/1

Jeremy Clarkson to be the next UK ambassador to Argentina
500/1
http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-betting/tv-specials/bbc-specials?ev_oc_grp_ids=2030672

Andy Wilman quits over Jeremy Clarkson sacking

text of the email from Wilman:

Well, at least we left ?em wanting more. And that alone, when you think about it, is quite an achievement for a show that started 13 years ago. I know none of us wanted it to end this way, but for a moment I?d like us to look back and think about just what an incredible thing you all had a hand in creating. When Jane Root gave us the green light in 2002, the brief was to reinvigorate a car show and get an audience of three million. What you all ended up making was one of the most iconic programmes in TV history, a show about cars that went global, won countless awards, was devoured by non car fans and ended up in the Guinness Book of Records.

We had a lot of laughs, we had a lot of tiffs. We went to amazing places and we went to some shitholes. We nearly killed a presenter, we had to run for the border. We started off with whoever we could get in the Reasonably Priced Car, and ended up with Tom Cruise. Throughout all this we made television that was beautiful to look at and beautiful to listen to. The work ethic never slipped, the desire for everyone in this dysfunctional family to do right by the show never faltered. Jeremy, Richard and James, as the visible tip of the iceberg, got most of the attention and praise, but you all in your own fields had such an immense hand in weaving this unforgettable tapestry. I would love to single out everybody by name to thank them for what they did, but it?s impossible and I?d forget someone I shouldn?t have and that would be crap, so I?ll just say Jim, I?m sorry we never got a bear to drive an automatic.

For those of you who still rely on it for work, don?t worry, because the BBC will make sure the show continues. Our stint as guardians of Top Gear was a good one, but we were only part of the show?s history, not the whole of it. Those two words are bigger than us.

Anyway, when you?re feeling low in your working day at any point, look around at some of the crap on TV, then have a think about Top Gear, 2002- 2015, and say to yourself: ?I made that.?

A big, big, big thank you, which will never be enough.

Andy.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...-jeremy-clarkson-sacking-20150331-1mbmmk.html

http://jalopnik.com/top-gears-head-producer-says-farewell-to-bbc-in-leaked-1694581344

I wonder if there will be an official statement about Andy Wilman leaving Top Gear, it seems odd that someone as high up as him leaving would only come out in the form of a leaked email.

Finally, some words from the man... It is a sad day for the TGUK fans, when the last hope goes to hell in a few words.

Somehow, I knew this was gonna happen, but I did not want it to.

I honestly think this whole thing was f****d up by BBC because they were catching so much flak for the Saville crap. They wanted desperately to prove that they learned a lesson and it wasn't going to happen again. They went from one extreme to the other, losing any possibility of using common sense.

Hmm, I guess I never thought of it that way. That could be a bit part of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally, some words from the man... It is a sad day for the TGUK fans, when the last hope goes to hell in a few words.

Somehow, I knew this was gonna happen, but I did not want it to.

Oh, I don't know about that.

All three of them (4, really) take a year off to get their other stuff in order and for jeremy to just get his life back on track, then they go to Netflix, make "Next Gear" and do it how they want.

Win/win for everyone.

Reactions: TC
Hmm, I guess I never thought of it that way. That could be a bit part of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I don't know about that.

All three of them (4, really) take a year off to get their other stuff in order and for jeremy to just get his life back on track, then they go to Netflix, make "Next Gear" and do it how they want.

Win/win for everyone.

If that happens, I'll buy you a beer...

Good old Andy. He does have a way with words. I particularly like the dig he got in about the crap on tv and to think back to what was.

Status
Not open for further replies.