Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Status
Not open for further replies.
who "owns" top gear? not the BBC, right? or do they?

can Sky for instance step up, snatch the 3 presenters (together with Willman etc), and continue making top gear?

even if it's the BBC that owns the name, just name it flop gear or sth, i would still watch!

Another problem is the complicated nature of the company - Bedder 6 - which makes the show.

The BBC have a 50% share in it, with Clarkson and executive producer Andy Wilman the other major shareholders.

It is a relationship that has made them all huge profits - in 2012 the annual report and accounts of BBC Worldwide - the corporation's commercial arm - show it got a dividend of ?4.5 million from Bedder 6.

From the mirror so take it for what its worth.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/top-gear-axe-jeremy-clarkson-5308096

If any of that is true, be lucky to get away with a suspension.

Maybe use Chris Evan or a guest host for the last few episodes this series and threaten to replace him with Piers Morgan.

All this aggro could be over the lack of ham sandwich and a cup of tea. FFS :blink:

Agree Jack, Chris Evans could host the last three episodes.

He is already on the BBC payroll, works in radio & TV doing interviews etc, is funny to an extent and is a car nut.

The TV program will return some time, it just may be in a new format, with new presenters.

(It has been running on the BBC both at first on radio and then TV since 1967 ? and has had several changes.)

As a paid up member of the working classes of Scotland I find the idea of NOT punching somebody during a small dispute a strange and foreign idea... :p

LOL Capt post! :lol:
(You didn't mention sitckin-the-head-in, ya lightwieght. :p)

I wish they could show the final three episodes with a guest host and then see where it goes from there. Maybe Nick Mason will come back or indeed Chris Evans with his aforementioned benefits.

BBC is having a love-hate situation over Clarkson. Clarkson is hot on the eyes of the critics, even the BBC itself. If BBC decides to take away any of the presenters especially Clarkson, it's over. BBC will lose millions of pounds since Top gear is its most profitable show ever. Another point of view BBC doesn't want to be called a company who tolerate punching maniacs on the set.

Top Gear will most likely resume on April. They can't afford to refund tickets of the show and broadcast rights.

Jeremy Clarkson couldn't be treated like the Stig who can be replaced easily, well easier than the three main guys.

Jeremy is somewhat becoming an old gorilla or an orangutan as May and Hammond calls him often.

If I remember correctly, last year, Andy Wilman said before if there is no Clarkson, May, Hammond nor the Stig, show's over. There will be no more Top Gear UK and a great era of motoring show is over.

Last edited:
Chris Evans already denied the possibility of him replacing JC.

In my opinion, "only" the fate of the last three episodes is a question. The show will probably survive to continue on a different TV station, with Jeremy, James, Richard, Andy Wilman and most of the crew. And they could do some changes the BBC perhaps didn't allow if they feel like that.

Last edited:
You can't just "replace" Jeremy. Jeremy is Top Gear. Without him the show would tank. Nearly certain that James and Richard would leave with him (or atleast not resign their TG contracts) if he got fired for real.

It's the Guardian, so I fear she's being serious. I read through some of the comments on there last night (on the main story) and got quite annoyed. Someone quipped "what'll I do on Sunday night now" and the response was to read a book. Nothing wrong with reading- even I do it :), but it's the holier than thou "I'm intelligent because I don't like anything popular" garbage they spout that winds me up.

I'm confused. Why is a producer thats been with the show 7 years delivering food. Shouldn't that job to to an intern? Or you know...the catering company?

Even Popular Mechanics is interested in this story:

"It was all over a catering issue," the unnamed insider told The Mirror. "They came to the end of filming after a long day and Jeremy discovered that no food had been laid on. He just saw red and hit the assistant producer, who he blamed for not having organized the food. He snapped."

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/tv/a14501/jeremy-clarkson-top-gear-punchout/

Jalopnik has done a good job of putting his controversies over the past decade on one page:

http://jalopnik.com/all-the-times-jeremy-clarkson-made-people-fucking-hate-1690580901

And according the their latest update, he "threw a punch"; it doesn't say he struck Tymon:

http://jalopnik.com/jeremy-clarkson-threw-a-punch-at-producer-two-more-epi-1690624321?rev=1426019279912

I guess there's plenty more to follow....

Last edited:
I don't think Clarkson (and the whole gang) would start a new series if he is banned from BBC. From what I remember, he is proud to be working for BBC (read in books and other programs than Top Gear). I am pretty sure it would cost a lot of energy to change from broadcaster and the viewing rates would unfortunately drop as well and I'm not sure if they are willing to do that.

- - - Updated - - -

oMJNPM9_700wa_0.gif

Even Popular Mechanics is interested in this story:

"It was all over a catering issue," the unnamed insider told The Mirror. "They came to the end of filming after a long day and Jeremy discovered that no food had been laid on. He just saw red and hit the assistant producer, who he blamed for not having organized the food. He snapped."

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/tv/a14501/jeremy-clarkson-top-gear-punchout/

Why, why do you quote same thing but different website. WHY?!?

Chris Barrie, aka Rimmer from Red Dwarf, aka Richard Hammond's old sparring partner on the game show Petrolheads.
I'd be okay with this. He did a great job presenting Britain's Greatest Machines (and even threw a Red Dwarf reference in on one episode). Considering how he's also played a shouty bloke he could fill Jezza's shoes well.

I'd be okay with this. He did a great job presenting Britain's Greatest Machines (and even threw a Red Dwarf reference in on one episode). Considering how he's also played a shouty bloke he could fill Jezza's shoes well.

I like Barry but he has no place in current TG. No one but the 3 stooges themselves have a place there, it'd be so awkward and wrong and it would fail hard. Either get the boys back or let this series rest, besides so far (on average) this series has been really good and to make sure they get to their normal mediocre average level the last episodes would probably be terrible anyway.

The more I read, and the longer this sits in my brain I've come to believe a few things...

The boys are being really cavalier about this. These aren't people who are concerned one bit about consequences stemming from this incident.

It seems that it wasn't anyone connected with the show that reported the incident. In fact, it seems the incident wasn't reported at all, and only reached management via a game of Telephone, you know where each person tells part of a story until by the time it comes back around it has gone from "The catering was late" to "and then Jezza went apesh*t and punched the assistant producer in the face."

I'm going to say that the investigation will go nowhere, because the incident was nothing, and the BBC is once again finding a way to look completely stupid, through no fault but their own. They're jumping on a watercooler story like it's a grenade and the boys know it. They're laughing at this people. They know damn well they aren't in any danger, and they're loving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.