Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I can't understand is why the BBC heads couldn't just handle this internally and then privately choose an appropriate course of action instead of blowing it up in the media before a decision was even made and leaving everyone speculating like mad (sorry for the run-ons). What good could possibly come from the hysteria?

Bit hard to explain why they postponed Top Gear otherwise. We'd be speculating like mad for knowing even less than what we have.

Another version:

What?s to investigate? My understanding is that the facts are not in dispute and Tymon hasn?t made an official complaint. Clarkson denies punching him, but admits there was ?contact? and has apologised profusely.
Outrage
Tymon is a long-standing and much-valued member of the Top Gear team and there is said to be no bad blood between him and the show?s star. Tempers were frayed after a difficult day?s filming, resulting in what James May calls a ?dust-up?.
www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-...itish-No-wonder-Beeb-wants-shot-Clarkson.html

Petition now at 629,414 supporters

Last edited:
I've worked on TV programmes, albeit in minor roles. If they say there will be hot food, and it doesn't arrive or it's run out by the time you finish filming, believe me, people get really grumpy.

Just saying.....

This could end Danny Cohen's career due to losses in both revenue, and viewership. This doesn't look as though it will end well for any of the parties involved, though it will probably end better for Clarkson, who, at this point, could afford to just retire and cause a stir by impregnating some 20 year old.

I've worked on TV programmes, albeit in minor roles. If they say there will be hot food, and it doesn't arrive or it's run out by the time you finish filming, believe me, people get really grumpy.
Just saying.....

People do get angry on these shoots for any number of reasons as they can be quite stressful, that said it tends to express itself in shouting matches rather than fisticuffs. I've been on a few sets in a variety of roles and I've never seen someone take a swing at someone.

On another note if it's correct that Clarkson didn't punch him but there was contact and he apologised immediately to the guy then I think that's probably good enough and the episodes which were dumped should be screened when this has all been worked out rather than just canceled.

Last edited:
If you're not interested in what makes the world go round i.e. money, please skip this post. With all due respect to those who might disagree, this is just one man's opinion.

This petition will reach and exceed their goal before I wake up tomorrow.

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson

And yes the BBC, just like any other successful corporation is run by capitalism regardless of how they might like to portray themselves. Take away their revenues and they will bend over and take it hard in order to get the cash back in the door. Since their source of revenue from within the U.K. (which is basically a tax the way I see it) is frozen for the time being, they now rely heavily on BBC World Wide Ltd. to fill the coffers. That wholly owned commercial subsidiary has the mission of exploiting BBC brands by selling BBC and other British programming for broadcast abroad with the aim of supplementing the income received by the BBC through the licence fee. This is all well-know and very general but if you want a couple of specifics that show their views more directly, read on...

The size of the brand and its far-reaching presence has a significant impact on BBCW?s revenues. ?All of the rulebooks get thrown out of the window when it comes to Top Gear,? said one senior distribution executive. The UK version of the show has sold to 214 territories. In some countries it has been picked up by more than one broadcaster, depending on language variances, meaning that it airs in almost all of the 206 states designated as sovereign by the United Nations. It generally airs in a primetime slot on the most-watched channels including Germany?s Kabel 1, Japan?s Fuji TV, India?s AXN and MBC in the Middle East or on key pay-TV channels such as Discovery across multiple territories.

Bidding wars have broken out for the show in some countries, including Australia, where in 2010 Nine Network is thought to have paid around ?152,000 per episode for the rights to see off competition from rival broadcaster SBS.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/top-gear-controversy-threatens-50m-super-brand/5084133.article

Another reason corporations pay attention and accept compromises is sheer numbers...

Global footprint: Top Gear plays in 214 territories worldwide and has an estimated global audience of 350 million. It set viewer records for an unscripted series on BBC America in 2013, while also delivering its highest ever ratings for global channel BBC Knowledge.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/11/media/top-gear-facts-jeremy-clarkson/

Even though these figures are from 2011, the impact is very personal to those involved. Here's just one example:

John Smith, the chief executive of Worldwide, saw his total pay package increase from ?823,000 to ?898,000 for the year, and he took home a ?138,000 bonus.

http://www.digitalspy.com/media/news/a329500/doctor-who-top-gear-earn-bbc-worldwide-record-profits.html#~p6Gx9Z2A0u872k

The UK version of the show has sold to 214 territories. In some countries it has been picked up by more than one broadcaster, depending on language variances, meaning that it airs in almost all of the 206 states designated as sovereign by the United Nations.

I am waiting for the press release from North Korea to express the outrage of Kim Jong-un not getting to see Top Gear this weekend and threatening the BBC with total destruction if it does not return.

I am waiting for the press release from North Korea to express the outrage of Kim Jong-un not getting to see Top Gear this weekend and threatening the BBC with total destruction if it does not return.

I think there's 600,000 people planning that already

I have to question those 600,000 people who signed the petition to bring him back so far. You see what it says on the petition? Freedom to Fracas. Freedom to assault people. That's 600,000 people who think he's free to be violent as he wants whatever the circumstances which we don't know, because he's Jeremy Clarkson and people adore him for pushing the boundaries of controversy. That's very wrong.

How can any employer take that seriously as an investigation is only a couple of days in? Even after they pass final judgement and Clarkson's name is cleared, this petition is mud because these have committed themselves to a vote before he was found guilty or not guilty by the company.

Last edited:

Just saying.....

You don't even need to work in TV to see that. Try to work in catering for a construction company and tell them you ran out of coffee and bread. Not a pretty situation :O

But I can relate to JC. At the end of a long, tiring, stressful day I WILL have my steak. Be it from a cow or from a producer :D

If they decide to fire him, I will not like it but I could live with it, but I want to see the last films made for this series.

It had always bothered me there were already film out there that we never got to see.
I am not even going to mention the uncut version of James's drive to work we were promised but never saw. I hate lying bastards.

This is the first time I have ever signed one of those online petitions. I am hoping for a final tally around the 5 million mark. I knew they had set it too low at 500,000.

I maintain my low blood sugar theory.

I am not calling for anyone's head, I just ask that they be fair. James said it was no big deal. That is my hope.
Honestly, I figured up last week, I started watching in 2004. Ten years, these guys have basically become family. When family goofs up, you may scold them, but you pick them up and brush them off for the most part. No matter what the reason was. At least that is what happens in my family.

Is it pure coincidence that change.org got knocked offline or can it not handle the demand for bringing back Clarkson.

I just saw that too. I wanted to see the total before I went to bed. Oh well, maybe some one will post it I'd it comes back up.

Ape In Clown Suit Bites Hand that Doesn't Feed Him

Ape In Clown Suit Bites Hand that Doesn't Feed Him

Jar Jar Clarkson heard shouting "Meesa so hungry make meesa so mad!"

BBC needs to complete Top Gear Series 22 to meet current contract obligations and receive desperately needed revenues, but BBC needs to show it has zero tolerance for workplace violence, bullying, or looking cross at a over-sensitive protected class. Just how to solve these many dilemmas and relieve this terrible vexation?

Suspend Clarkson for the series and complete series 22 with three guest hosts. BBC meets its political obligatories, but more important with current world wide contract obligations fulfilled, revenues are restored. Huzzah! Now that that is sorted, lets look at how this sausage might actually get made.

The new semi-recurring segment, A Reasonably Priced Guest Host wherein a guest hosts take Jezza's spot for one episode of the remainder of the series. Guest host duties include, the news full of clever banter between James, Richard and the guest host, wherein Hammond and May express their strong preference for the guest hosts views, fashion, measured opinions, and general good character. Guest hosts will review a car Monkey Boy reviewed offering a differing opinion. These are beautifully shot and edited to contrast and mock the banished presenter oafishness and are full of many facts and figures. Once again, James and Richard praise the insight and acumen.

Finally a short behind the scenes film of the guests hosts time at Top Gear where they bitch slap, insult, and demean various "little people" who make up the show. They are banned forthwith by the BBC and a new guest host is brought on next episode. In the end it is concluded that the loveable Neanderthal shall be allowed out of its cage and series 23 begins with recap of the incident and Clarkson waking to declare it was all a dream.

Personally I would prefer he be beheaded by Jihadi John. It is simpler and I am sure it would get higher ratings, but sadly I doubt the BBC could get that approved by Health and Safety.

Last edited:
Oh dear. Well yeah I'd want to see the rest of the series, but that's not what that petition was about. Its about letting a man go to work despite being under investigation for workplace assault. If they're not signing it because they don't care if he assaulted a work colleague, they're voting just to they can get their Sunday night TV fix for the next three weeks, and other reasons case in point

Honestly, I figured up last week, I started watching in 2004. Ten years, these guys have basically become family. When family goofs up, you may scold them, but you pick them up and brush them off for the most part. No matter what the reason was. At least that is what happens in my family.

Family and work is the not the same. Family sorts their own issues out be they a fracas or anything else. Its an employers duty to maintain the safety of its employees, and if one employee has alledged to have assaulted another they must be investigated in case they are a danger to others.

Because of fans nature to get behind someone who's being investigated for a workplace incident or a crime, this petition really should be anything but. "Change" it certainly won't. Might as well be a Facebook page rather than serious attempt to get the BBC to change their minds.

Or better yet, if you are gonna have a petition like this, do it after Clarkson is cleared by the BBC of wrongdoing. Also remove the idiotic "Freedom to fracas" line. That way I wouldn't judge you as someone who condones physical violence in the workplace no matter what your real reasoning is.

Status
Not open for further replies.