Jeremy Clarkson Suspended Over Fracas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, for crying out loud! Can people please stop the "BBC = left-wing dictatorship" nonsense? 'cause nothing says "We want you off the air, Clarkson!" like airing 22 seasons of Top Gear, inviting him to QI, being in the middle of renewing his contract when this thing happens and so on... right?

- - - Updated - - -

First off the top of my head: "She has got quite a nice bottom... I said that out loud, didn't I?" to which Fiona Bruce replied with a slap on his (bottom) in a later show.

You may want to finish school/open a dictionary/google:definition of sexist/sexism before making posts like that and embarrassing your self.

ah and yes.....You might also want to grow a brain cause to say that a body part of a girl/woman is nice is a compliment... google definition of complement as well...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...BC-is-biased-toward-the-left-study-finds.html

More like "Holy crap, this terrible show brings in more money than we've ever seen in our entire lives despite it being completely against everything we stand for! We hate the show... but we love the money..."

You do realise the Telegraph and Jezza's Tory mates are the very one's trying to defund and break up the BBC. The very same BBC, Jezza needs to be commercially indepedent, to give him editorial freedom.

Suppose Murdoch should be called a left wing pinko for sacking people for assault?

Scott Chisholm v Chris Mann - both Sky news anchors, both sacked for fighting
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/aug/31/boxing.comment

Another Sky news anchor Colin Brazier demoted but still works for Sky News:

Mr Brazier got into an argument with his producer, Julian Morrison. In the incident that followed, Mr Morrison - described by colleagues as "mild-mannered" - is said to have sustained a broken nose and damage to his front teeth.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/m...d-after-fight-at-christmas-party-6155741.html

So Sky's Europe Correspondent Colin Brazier has been demoted after he "head-butted his producer before repeatedly kicking him", according to the Mail on Sunday (19/12/2004).
http://www.tvforum.co.uk/thenewsroom/skys-colin-brazier-demoted-xmas-13609/

Frank Partridge, the Sky News presenter who was sacked after slapping co-presenter Kay Burley
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2002/jan/08/broadcasting1

No decent business can operate in an efficient manner by allowing childish bullying tantrums to destroy team spirit and morale. Short term you might get away with it. Long term is a recipe for disaster.

Jezza is bloody lucky there is no video of his Basil Fawlty-esk thirty minute meltdown.

This episode makes it easier to understand how the N-word video could have surfaced.

Which begs the question do the Top Gear producers have to put up with this kind of crap all the time?

Need to fix the working environment so they don't piss off all the good folks behind the scenes.

If they suspend him for couple of episodes, how about someone like Jimmy Carr as a guest host. He likes cars and can be even more offensive than Jezza.

Last edited:
I think I see Gill's main point: if JC had done something actionable, then yes, he should be suspended. But Cohen should not have suspended the last three shows; instead he should have persuaded the production people to continue working on them, only without JC. If that means losing SIARPC or a re-edit to add footage for time or even even putting together a "best of" clip show, it would at least get satisfy the contract obligations with Worldwide. Instead it just magnified the sense of personal animus on Cohen's part.

- - - Updated - - -

As for what TG could look like without Clarkson, we've already seen that: remember the DVD "Top Gear Goes to the Movies"?

How is that sexist.
Oh, please. It's no drama and not worth a fuss, but it is sexist. Hence the "I said that out loud, didn't I?" bit.

Whether or not they are "biased toward the left": how would that make the corporation a dictatorship?

You do realise the Telegraph and Jezza's Tory mates are the very one's trying to defund and break up the BBC. The very same BBC, Jezza needs to be commercially indepedent, to give him editorial freedom.
:yes: It's just some more of the same old private-versus-public-media drama.

More like "Holy crap, this terrible show brings in more money than we've ever seen in our entire lives despite it being completely against everything we stand for! We hate the show... but we love the money..."
Just because you (presumably) think money is all that matters doesn't mean everybody else does. And they did keep TG going for season after season long before it became a global commercial success.

Last edited:
Im getting curious why so many people on here are debating who's right and who isn't, and what should be done, when none of you were there to know what happened either way. This thread should just be for updates on the situation, because it's basically turned into a mess of bickering when neither side has any information beyond hearsay.

Going back to Michael Simkins' article, if the 'fracas' was really about food (which I don't entirely believe and hardly seems relevant now) I have to say that I've been working on locations for about three years. Everyone I've met has stories to trade about the excellent quality of the food provided. The ones that are really remembered are where the food is inedible or is promised but never arrives at all. It can cause a surprising amount of tension.

I think regardless of whether suspending Clarkson was justified, in the absence of facts, there are still one thing we can know for sure. The BBC bungled their handling of the situation. It doesn't matter what he did and if he ultimately deserves to be fired or not, they did not handle things smartly.

I would also add that since they went to such great pains to say that only Clarkson and not the other two presenters nor the show is suspended, it is very odd that they wouldn't even try a go at airing the next episode or two without Clarkson. With the show pulled from the air, other than having to presumably continue paying the crew, Hammond and May, it is effectively suspending the show. Sure without Clarkson presenting, the episodes might have sucked big time. Even if they were all time sinkers, at least the BBC would have a better idea of how the show would fair without Jeremy if they felt they needed to go that route.

But instead, they are punishing the fans, creating a PR nightmare, and costing themselves millions.

Im getting curious why so many people on here are debating who's right and who isn't, and what should be done, when none of you were there to know what happened either way. This thread should just be for updates on the situation, because it's basically turned into a mess of bickering when neither side has any information beyond hearsay.

We're just bored you know.
We're well aware none of what we're typing is going to change the world.

Going back to Michael Simkins' article, if the 'fracas' was really about food (which I don't entirely believe and hardly seems relevant now) I have to say that I've been working on locations for about three years. Everyone I've met has stories to trade about the excellent quality of the food provided. The ones that are really remembered are where the food is inedible or is promised but never arrives at all. It can cause a surprising amount of tension.

You can see the food here:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-clarkson-suspended-star-wanted-5314713

After all the huffing and puffing,
?The general manager ended up cooking himself for the three presenters.?

So supposedly the general manager ended up cooking himself for the three presenters. Not for the crew, just the presenters.

Savile Victims: Clarkson Comparison 'Upsetting'
http://news.sky.com/story/1445617/savile-victims-clarkson-comparison-upsetting

Is that an adult quoted as saying Jeremy used "bad words"?

Another thing is a ?23 steak that unusual? I figured that is about $32 and that is around what I expect to pay in a hotel or a nice place.

Let me try to recap based on what I've seen, read, and extrapolated. Please pipe in and correct me if anything seems incorrect or not as you've seen. I'm as detached from what's happening as anyone else here.

* Filming had been long, arduous, and there had been a shortage of producers making everything a little harder.

* The helicopter ride to the hotel was 2 and a half hours, during which James drank a bottle of wine and was therefore inebriated. Jeremy didn't drink due to a script needing work.

* Guests at the hotel noted that Clarkson wasn't feeling too hot and he rejected requests for pictures.

* Tymon has been a part of the production team for some time, and there has been no indication of bad blood or animosity on set for many years.

* Guests (presumably the same as mentioned before) noticed a lot of swearing, ranting, and a close face-to-face in which jobs were threatened.

* Clarkson wrote a column about dinosaurs which some have analysed as being about him, others about the BBC itself.

* BBC head of TV Danny Cohen has no love lost for Clarkson, despite his show's extreme profitability.

* Clarkson called Cohen himself to report the incident, and there has been no statement from Tymon or anyone else on the matter.

* According to an interview on Parkinson, Clarkson has said that the only person he has ever punched has been Piers Morgan. So apparently he isn't a violent man, per se.

And now some analysis:

* Based on May's vague comments ("handbags"), the lack of police reports, and the rampant media guessing (only days after the incident there are reports of A&E and copious amounts of blood), I'd suspect the physical contact was more like a push / shove, or perhaps a thrown plate with no human-to-human hitting.

* Suspension and investigation does seem like the correct course of action considering the accusations. However, very few organizations have so much money and notoriety resting on one or a few people. Considering this and the very public nature of the show, perhaps a better course of action would have been a continuation of Clarkson's studio duties while the investigation is carried out and a real hearing held as soon as the series is finished.

* Even if the Savile comparisons were to the public response rather than the acts, linking the two is repulsive and do nothing to improve the strained relationship. One can only hope that it's more a case of Daily Heil editorialism rather than Cohen (or anyone else's) statements.

* This series of events has led me to believe that the show / host's relationship with the BBC has come to a close. The only two workable scenarios I can see now are either a sale of the Top Gear property / brand to the highest bidder (of which there will be many) or a gutting of the show as Clarkson, presumably May, Wilman, and maybe Hammond (who has the most ties to the BBC right now) and troupe depart for another show on another network, and the Top Gear brand descends into irrelevance.

I was looking on another website and it had a few pages from the March 15 Daily Star. I have no idea if this is a believable magazine or is the quality of the national enquirer over here.

Anyway it says that STIG in order to support Clarkson revealed himself to be a fellow called Phil Keen

The article s on page 5 of the issue.

I don't really care anymore who the identity of The Stig is. He's a racing driver in white overalls and a helmet who doesn't speak and knows how to drive a car round the test track to near perfection. We've seen so many different Stigs and his cousins across the entire franchise its not enchanting anymore.

Even if you'd all be right and the BBC would be a left-leaning conspiracy, that would not necessarily be a bad thing: With the current government being very conservative and Blairite Labour being closer to "Toryism light" than the actual political left, a disagreeing public broadcaster is a good thing. Look at how close to actual commie-style "government mouthpiece" broadcasting the German public broadcasters have become and you'll see the merit in a disagreeing BBC.

I was looking on another website and it had a few pages from the March 15 Daily Star. I have no idea if this is a believable magazine or is the quality of the national enquirer over here.

Anyway it says that STIG in order to support Clarkson revealed himself to be a fellow called Phil Keen

In the last 8-9 years (including in the Ben Collins era) the Stig's identity has been an open secret in the motorsport industry, and there are a few drivers rotating the Stig duty nowadays (Phil, allegedly, being one of them).

I should imagine he was quite keen to impress.

Status
Not open for further replies.